Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which One Should I Keep Up-to-Date? (Info on post #12)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Updated Info
I've decided to go with @QSDP-User's suggestion, and I will be changing things up a little bit. The OS will have the welcome screen bypassed and updates installed. There will be a Setup app that allows you to set up your speed tweaks. For software, use Software to Get You Started (PowerPC). This will be kept up to date with the latest TFF, LWK, etc.. It will be included in this OS. I will update the OS from time to time but the only thing to be updated will be the Starting Software folder.

The starting account will be called "Admin" with password "admin". Change the password and open a new account for actual use. Leave the Admin account for troubleshooting.

If you have any other idea, share 'em! I'd like to remove the poll but MRF doesn't let you do that.

Original Info
So, awhile back I made an image of Leopard that had the welcome screen bypassed, software updates installed, essential apps, and even a setup app that let you pick your TFF and speed tweaks and themes. Basically, you restored to it and ran setup and you were good to go. The image is long gone now, but I can remake it. Is there any interest at all for this? Would anybody find it useful? Is it something I should release? I'd like to know if I'd just be wasting my time.

(Also, I'd need to have a pre-set user name... it was "ppc-user" before but I could have something better. If I end up doing this project, ideas are welcome. ;))

Important: you'd need 2 Macs or a second bootable partition on the Mac you were restoring to for it to work, because you'd be restoring a .dmg file to a drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: QSDP-User

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Sounds a lot like my one of my Carbon Copy clones.
The main difference would be the Setup app that I'd include. You can:
-Select your TFF version
-Enter "Performance Mode" will almost all speed tweaks or customize it with just the tweaks you want
-Choose a theme (Black theme, Mountain Leopard, LeopardRebirth) and open the installer directly
-(maybe) choose what software you want installed (I have a plan to use disk space for only the apps you want, they won't be sitting in some hidden folder ;))

I could just offer this application as a separate download but it depends on some hidden files on the hard drive so that wouldn't work.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
The main difference would be the Setup app that I'd include. You can:
-Select your TFF version
-Enter "Performance Mode" will almost all speed tweaks or customize it with just the tweaks you want
-Choose a theme (Black theme, Mountain Leopard, LeopardRebirth) and open the installer directly
-(maybe) choose what software you want installed (I have a plan to use disk space for only the apps you want, they won't be sitting in some hidden folder ;))

I could just offer this application as a separate download but it depends on some hidden files on the hard drive so that wouldn't work.
Sounds like something that might be of interest to a PPC newbie for use as a starting point.

Reactions: AmazingHenry

KawaiiAurora

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2016
Europa
So, awhile back I made an image of Leopard that had the welcome screen bypassed, software updates installed, essential apps, and even a setup app that let you pick your TFF and speed tweaks and themes. Basically, you restored to it and ran setup and you were good to go. The image is long gone now, but I can remake it. Is there any interest at all for this? Would anybody find it useful? Is it something I should release? I'd like to know if I'd just be wasting my time.

(Also, I'd need to have a pre-set user name... it was "ppc-user" before but I could have something better. If I end up doing this project, ideas are welcome. ;))

EDIT, right after the post: Also, you'd need 2 Macs or a second bootable partition on the Mac you were restoring to for it to work, because you'd be restoring a .dmg file to a drive.

I have an image I got a while back from the internet with all updates and stuff installed. We can upload that I suppose or maybe use it as a base for a tweak repo ;) It has the Setup included tho

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
As of right now, I'm just making a version for personal use. But I will release an installer that installs all of the dependencies for the Setup app as well as the app itself in case somebody wants it on one of their Leopard clones. I still might make a full image if there's any interest!
[doublepost=1490825412][/doublepost]One of the perks of a full OS installer is that I can include things like TFF tweaks (probably the @Altemose one), wallpapers, essential software... with just a Setup installer you'll just get the opportunity to install OS tweaks (not TFF tweaks), apps, and themes.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
OK, I'm making the Setup app (integrated with a modified install of Leopard) now. The problem is that it's highly personalized to me (for example it installs a LWK-updated Roccat by default). Honestly, since no one has shown any interest, I don't think I'll be releasing it unless someone wants the Henry-personalized one (PM me if you do).
[doublepost=1490979863][/doublepost]Hang on, I actually can't send it to people. A Henry-personalized Leopard OS would have my mail accounts and me signed into this forum as well as other things.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
I'm definitely interested in a setup xor modified os as it would spare me the chaos of twenty nearly redundant folders with setups of the applications I use as well as applying the updates. It would be really great if you could publish a non-Henry-personalized modified os! ;)
I came to PPCs nearly two years ago and for a PPC newbie in 2015 it was like hell on earth to find updates, suitable Apps and speed modifications to run such an old machine these days, if you are used to modern machines and operating systems

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I'm definitely interested in a setup xor modified os as it would spare me the chaos of twenty nearly redundant folders with setups of the applications I use as well as applying the updates. It would be really great if you could publish a non-Henry-personalized modified os! ;)
I came to PPCs nearly two years ago and for a PPC newbie in 2015 it was like hell on earth to find updates, suitable Apps and speed modifications to run such an old machine these days, if you are used to modern machines and operating systems
Why not. I'll make it. Even if it only makes one or two people happy thats good enough for me. :)

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
So, as some of you know, I also maintain a folder of PowerPC essential software (Software to Get You Started (PowerPC)), and I'd like to keep this Leopard image up-to-date as well (for example, if a new LWK update came out I'd put that in the image). However, I only have the time to keep one of them up-to-date. I'll add a poll to this thread asking which one I should keep up to date.

QSDP-User

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2015
California, USA
So, as some of you know, I also maintain a folder of PowerPC essential software (Software to Get You Started (PowerPC)), and I'd like to keep this Leopard image up-to-date as well (for example, if a new LWK update came out I'd put that in the image). However, I only have the time to keep one of them up-to-date.

Just my two cents,
but how about the Leopard installer with its final complete up-to-date emphasis being on the OS itself,
i.e., the final Leopard OS point this & that update, Apple apps updates & the Java & Security updates.
Then the user could use the separate (Software to Get You Started (PowerPC)) image for LWK & other recommended goodies.

The (Software to Get You Started (PowerPC)) would then be the only image to maintain an update vigilance.
Or just include a pdf or richtext document titled, "Here you lazy leechers" with software links to the developers' webpages for DIY updating.

Also, the installed Leopard account could just be named "Admin" with "admin" as the starting password.
The user could then just quickly change the password & open a new working account for personal use.
The Admin account could be useful to fall back on at a later date when troubleshooting.

EDIT: Of course, I shouldn't forget that this is a personal backup in case Time Machine has an epic fail.

Last edited:

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
You may be surprised at how many silent, unknown users of the world would find your hard work very convenient ;)
I bet your cloud storage would reflect a high download count.

Just my two cents,
but how about the Leopard installer with its final complete up-to-date emphasis being on the OS itself,
i.e., the final Leopard OS point this & that update, Apple apps updates & the Java & Security updates.
Then the user could use the separate (Software to Get You Started (PowerPC)) image for LWK & other recommended goodies.

The (Software to Get You Started (PowerPC)) would then be the only image to maintain an update vigilance.
Or just include a pdf or richtext document titled, "Here you lazy leechers" with software links to the developers' webpages for DIY updating.

Also, the installed Leopard account could just be named "Admin" with "admin" as the starting password.
The user could then just quickly change the password & open a new working account for personal use.
The Admin account could be useful to fall back on at a later date when troubleshooting.
I really like that idea! :) I'd do a little more with the OS though. There's some custom wallpapers I wanted to add, and I still want to make a Setup app (for speed tweaks only). At the end of Setup I could link to Software to Get You Started (PowerPC) .

I'll also update the OS from time to time with the latest Software to Get You Started (PowerPC) folder.

I'll also add some apps to that folder so the user would have a wide selection of apps to choose.

This is my plan as of right now, other opinions are good too though. ;)

Reactions: CooperBox

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I really like that idea! :) I'd do a little more with the OS though. There's some custom wallpapers I wanted to add, and I still want to make a Setup app (for speed tweaks only). At the end of Setup I could link to Software to Get You Started (PowerPC) .

I'll also update the OS from time to time with the latest Software to Get You Started (PowerPC) folder.

I'll also add some apps to that folder so the user would have a wide selection of apps to choose.

This is my plan as of right now, other opinions are good too though. ;)

I certainly like the ideas proposed here, and look forward to seeing the eventual release.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Sorry for the delay, super busy. You know, an image with the apps already installed is cool, but an installer that lets you choose which ones you want (like www.ninite.com) would be probably even more useful!

Dustin
I've changed things up a little bit, read the edited post #1.

You can still pick your apps, but only manually using the Starting Software folder.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I would not mind seeing or even developing a software installer that completes all of these tasks, tweaks, and app installations on a fresh install as a single download.
Why not, I'll do that too. It's not like I don't have enough time on my hands. ;)

(Yes, I said I didn't have time to maintain 2 things earlier. That was not true. I was just being selfish and wanted more free time :D)

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
Anxiously awaiting this. I am going to install an SSD in my Power Mac G5 when my 6800 Ultra comes in the mail any day now, so this would be awesome to have at that time!

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Anxiously awaiting this. I am going to install an SSD in my Power Mac G5 when my 6800 Ultra comes in the mail any day now, so this would be awesome to have at that time!
It's been more of a side project recently, just working on it while I have time. Today I'm shifting my main focus to this, so it should be out within the next 7 days!

Reactions: pochopsp

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
It's been more of a side project recently, just working on it while I have time. Today I'm shifting my main focus to this, so it should be out within the next 7 days!

Great! I installed my SSD last night and installed Leopard and got it up to date. I will await your Installer for all the goodies, and the GeForce 6800 ULTRA should arrive by the end of the week as well. This Mac is ramping up to be my favorite PPC "build-up" so far!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Why not, I'll do that too. It's not like I don't have enough time on my hands. ;)

(Yes, I said I didn't have time to maintain 2 things earlier. That was not true. I was just being selfish and wanted more free time :D)

Well, I figure that doing a single installer will make it a lot easier for people to get access to it all, without having to deal with the issues of restoring a .DMG to their hard drive.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Well, I figure that doing a single installer will make it a lot easier for people to get access to it all, without having to deal with the issues of restoring a .DMG to their hard drive.
So, an installer than can be run on a fresh install of leopard? Not gonna happen, sorry. I've got much better things to be doing than tracking down the packages for the dozens of Leo updates and then adding them to a single installer.

So many different opinions on this project, everybody thinks I should do something different! Tomorrow I'll start a new thread so I can add a poll. Also might clear up confusion, because I've said a lot of different things in this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.