Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
woah...

based on the keynote I got this:
1) Mission Control is now Leopard's expose. All the windows, no stacking, mouseover labels
2) overview of spaces is now just a label and takes about 7% of the screen real estate rather than 20% in yosemite and 25% in mavericks
3) Full screen animation seems instantaneous!!!
4) really fantastic-looking implementation of aero snap (of course the snapping is 'borrowed' from windows 7, the full-screen resizing from windows 8 and the "select the other snapped app" from windows 10 but eh)
5) the new way to drag apps into desktops looks super useful!

mission control is finally a power user tool. I've been waiting for this for years. I cannot overstate how excited I am about this.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
also I forgot to mention, when they show federighi picking the second window for the aero snap, one of the windows is semi-transparent. maybe hidden (or minimized?) windows are finally shown in mission control?

EDIT: well maybe not. the semi-transparent window is Photos and it definitely wasn't hidden/minimized before he started the aero snap.

Last edited:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
2) overview of spaces is now just a label and takes about 7% of the screen real estate rather than 20% in yosemite and 25% in mavericks

You mean we can't see the thumbnail anymore?? Wouldn't that suck? How am I meant to know what's on that desktop if I can't see it?

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
You mean we can't see the thumbnail anymore?? Wouldn't that suck? How am I meant to know what's on that desktop if I can't see it?

you can click the label to view that desktop. alternatively the new "drag window into space" view shows the previews. looks like OS X has two Mission Control views now, one for window switching with no previews and one for moving windows to spaces with previews. which is what it should have always been like.

edit: or maybe the spaces bar auto expands on mouse over? that would make sense.
edit 2: I was right! it expands on mouse over.

Last edited:
Reactions: TruthWatcher412

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
you can click the label to view that desktop. alternatively the new "drag window into space" view shows the previews. looks like OS X has two Mission Control views now, one for window switching with no previews and one for moving windows to spaces with previews. which is what it should have always been like.

edit: or maybe the spaces bar auto expands on mouse over? that would make sense.
I just hope they do the right thing and reduce the number of clicks, drags, mouse-overs and memorizing required to do simple things... Leopard was the best at this, Snow Leopard was terrible, but Lion + ML just made Snow Leopard look great... Then recently things have become useable again but knowing Apple anything could happen.

Reactions: pickaxe

HerQ

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
The Netherlands
I disabled the stacking window behaviour a long time ago (it's a simple defaults write) so was really wondering what exactly changed, hoping it's a bit better as Mission Control in Yosemite is just dreadfully slow (I disabled the animation at all and even then there's up to a second delay to go into Mission Control, on a rMBP with 750M)

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Does it allow you to do what previous OS X versions did (forget the last that did) where you can expand a preview window in Expose (Mission Control) by hitting the space bar and then switch between all the windows in that magnified view by arrowing left and right? This was so helpful when I had a lot of TextEdit documents open at once but now once you magnify the view you can't arrow left or right.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Great news about Mission Control. That will make it much more useful again.
I will be interested to know whether minimised windows will be shown in the new mission control?

From the picture on the website the desktop image does not have the transparency blur in mission control, which seems strange seeing as the transparency blur is a fairly new feature to OSX.

So is the aero snap different from the Split view?
From what I have read, it seems split view is activated by pressing down hard on green button using a force-touch pad? Is there any other way to activate split view without a Force-touch pad?

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
From the picture on the website the desktop image does not have the transparency blur in mission control, which seems strange seeing as the transparency blur is a fairly new feature to OSX.

I really hope they bring this back. The blurred background is so good in Yosemite, really makes the windows stick out. It just looks messy in El Capitan

MattXDA

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2014
UK
The new snap function is pretty cool and easy to use

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 13.41.10.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 13.41.10.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 385

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
Can you use the keyboard in the new Mission Control? You could in Expose in Leopard/Snow Leopard but that functionality was killed in Lion and I've missed it ever since.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
Actually Leopard's Exposé made the entire selected window bright blue, El Capitan marks them like Snow Leopard, which isn't as easy to see.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I really hope they bring this back. The blurred background is so good in Yosemite, really makes the windows stick out. It just looks messy in El Capitan

I find it really bizarre that they would get rid of it after just implementing blur transparency. It seems IOS 9 has also been de-blurred. The only practical reason I can think of is that it might speed up performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.