Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
I have an OS X Leopard installer on a USB flash drive and I want to copy it to DVD to get faster install speed. How can I clone the installer on the USB and burn that to a DVD?

Last edited:

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
Well I downloaded Leopard Install DMG from Mac Repository and used the Restore function in disk utility to flash it from disk image to USB but it took 5 hours to install off of USB and I hated that! It also took 1h to download Leopard DMG so not doing that again. Are you saying that I can recreate the DMG by compressing USB contents/making a disk image of the USB? And then I can burn it? Thanks :)

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
I don't have the DMG. I'll search the Downloads folder on all my macs but pretty sure I deleted it.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Are you saying that I can recreate the DMG by compressing USB contents/making a disk image of the USB? And then I can burn it?
It might work, in Disk Utility unmount the volume Mac OS Install, click on the USB drive, then File – New image – image from USB device. For Image Format choose DVD/CD master.

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
It might work, in Disk Utility unmount the volume Mac OS Install, click on the USB drive, then File – New image – image from USB device. For Image Format choose DVD/CD master.
Thanks! I will try soon, I'm busy today.

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
Never mind. I am downloading the ISO/DMG again. It says 32 minutes so I don't mind waiting. The question is, does anyone know what I should use to burn the disk image to a dvd? I have Roxio Toast 7 but not sure if it works for this kind of job.

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
Disk Utility should do the job just fine.
That's what I thought. So should I do Restore function with the disk image and insert my blank DVD? I'm running:

OS X 10.5 Leopard
Power Mac G5 2GHz
2GB RAM

on my computer that has a burning drive.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
So should I do Restore function with the disk image and insert my blank DVD?
Just click on the image in the Source pane (on the left) and then on “Burn Image” in the toolbar. Your G5 needs a drive explicitly capable of writing dual-layer DVDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.