Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
It surprises me (touch wood) how long Leopard’s version of Screen Sharing is lasting in terms of working well with increasingly distant versions of the MacOS.

Seeing as I recently got Gigabit internet and Ethernet around my house I’ve been able to flawlessly control my Xserve from my MBP when I’m out of the house. More directly when I’m home, my Power Mac G5 handles just perfectly.

Thanks to some great tweaks my 2009 Xserve is running MacOS Mojave even better than it was running El Capitan. The legacy GPU drivers weren’t recommended by the default and Screen Sharing was unusably slow as a result. Thankfully just installing them manually afterward fixed this problem right away for the old GT 120.

Bottom line, the blazing performance of the Xserve can be used to handle some non server tasks too, with the G5 acting as somewhat of a terminal.

Now if only I’d get around to hooking up the Xserve’s RS-232 port to my Apple II’s Super Serial card...

pmac0973

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2017
It surprises me (touch wood) how long Leopard’s version of Screen Sharing is lasting in terms of working well with increasingly distant versions of the MacOS.

Seeing as I recently got Gigabit internet and Ethernet around my house I’ve been able to flawlessly control my Xserve from my MBP when I’m out of the house. More directly when I’m home, my Power Mac G5 handles just perfectly.

Thanks to some great tweaks my 2009 Xserve is running MacOS Mojave even better than it was running El Capitan. The legacy GPU drivers weren’t recommended by the default and Screen Sharing was unusably slow as a result. Thankfully just installing them manually afterward fixed this problem right away for the old GT 120.

Bottom line, the blazing performance of the Xserve can be used to handle some non server tasks too, with the G5 acting as somewhat of a terminal.

Now if only I’d get around to hooking up the Xserve’s RS-232 port to my Apple II’s Super Serial card...

great setup!

was the music over screen share?

Reactions: tevion5

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
great setup!

was the music over screen share?

Thanks!

Nah Screen Share doesn't support sound (afaik) but the I have my 1980's AKAI HiFi system connected to an old 1st Gen Airport Express for Airplay. Always a bit funny playing music wirelessly off my iPhone that way too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.