Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
nothing all that exciting. add to that list

Resolution Independent Display
Quartz 2D Extreme
Improvements to Spotlight
Improvements to CoreImage and CoreData among other developer tools

yadda yadda yadda.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I like the sound of the whiteboard in iChat. Would be cool to draw something for someone else or just drop a picture onto it and mess around with text and stuff.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
biohazard6969 said:
what is resolution independant display anyways? i've heard that term thrown around these forums a bit and never understood what it meant

ok think of it this way. when you use a font in TextEdit or something, then increase the font size. the font stays crystal clear right? that's because a font is drawn using math. it's essentially a vector.

now, look at an image. if you zoom in say... 200-300% on the image, it'll get grainy and blurry.

ok. OS X at this point uses bitmaps for nearly everything on the screen. so it doesn't scale up real well (meaning making things bigger). however in Leopard we're supposed to get a fully resolution independent display. which allows all of those bitmaps to be thrown away and instead we'll be using SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) to scale the display up or down.

say you have a 30" display. you're hard of seeing. the text is too small, in every single app. so instead of going into each app and saying "zoom the text to 150%" you can scale the entire display UP so instead of being the 2000x2000+ resolution it can act like 1000x1000 for example.

it means the entire display can scale up or down. want more resolution than your display offers? no problem, you can scale it, it may not look as good due to the fact you don't have as many pixels, but you CAN scale it so the images on it look differently. text or images too small? zoom it in so the entire display is bigger. this includes the dock, menubar, all windows, text, everything.

it's more of an accessibility issue, but it's also very useful for other things too.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
DXoverDY said:
ok think of it this way. when you use a font in TextEdit or something, then increase the font size. the font stays crystal clear right? that's because a font is drawn using math. it's essentially a vector.

now, look at an image. if you zoom in say... 200-300% on the image, it'll get grainy and blurry.

ok. OS X at this point uses bitmaps for nearly everything on the screen. so it doesn't scale up real well (meaning making things bigger). however in Leopard we're supposed to get a fully resolution independent display. which allows all of those bitmaps to be thrown away and instead we'll be using SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) to scale the display up or down.

say you have a 30" display. you're hard of seeing. the text is too small, in every single app. so instead of going into each app and saying "zoom the text to 150%" you can scale the entire display UP so instead of being the 2000x2000+ resolution it can act like 1000x1000 for example.

it means the entire display can scale up or down. want more resolution than your display offers? no problem, you can scale it, it may not look as good due to the fact you don't have as many pixels, but you CAN scale it so the images on it look differently. text or images too small? zoom it in so the entire display is bigger. this includes the dock, menubar, all windows, text, everything.

it's more of an accessibility issue, but it's also very useful for other things too.
One thing to note is that it won't affect pictures... they'll still get blurry when you zoom in, as they will remain bitmaps.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
pdpfilms said:
One thing to note is that it won't affect pictures... they'll still get blurry when you zoom in, as they will remain bitmaps.

ah, i guess i mentioned that indirectly but good point to make.

as for vector photographs.. probably won't ever happen, mostly due to the way they're taken with a CCD and all. but who knows, maybe there'll be some compression algorithm of sorts that will convert it over somehow. who knows.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
DXoverDY said:
nothing all that exciting. add to that list

Resolution Independent Display
Quartz 2D Extreme
Improvements to Spotlight
Improvements to CoreImage and CoreData among other developer tools
All the stuff you listed excites me, nothing I saw on the linked lists was at all exciting, mostly looks like stuff that might be found in a "dot" release. *yawn*

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
HiRez said:
All the stuff you listed excites me, nothing I saw on the linked lists was at all exciting, mostly looks like stuff that might be found in a "dot" release. *yawn*

ya that was kind of what i was saying. rereading what i wrote it's confusing, like i'm saying what i listed wasn't exciting. i agree with you, the stuff i listed is the cool stuff. tiny feature additions like they mention in the two articles are nothing. i'm excited to hear what steve jobs says will be the new features.. wondering if we'll see it demoed or talked about at WWDC '06 or later...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.