Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cham911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2013
Dears,

this is my first post so first, hello to all of you.

I'm trying to install a OSX 10.6 in a virtualbox on a 10.6 iMac. In fact, I'm just trying to use the provide DVD of my own iMac to create a new instance in the Virtualbox (to have a "scratchable" OS for some testing and tries purpose)

When I install the OS in the Virtualbox, I get a "cannot install OS in this machine" ! Which at first glance sounded strange to me. After reading the web, I understood Apple restrict the installation of an OS on a different machine (or at least configuration).

I guess the Virtualmachine is not recognize as a "similar" one compared to my physical one.

Does anyone has a clue on the virtualbox settings to use to make it work ?
What are the settings the OS is linked to that prevent my virtual machine to install correctly ?

I noticed I cannot have more than about 3.5Gb or ram in the virtual machine but my physical one has 4Gb. Perhaps this difference prevents the OS to install.

Any idea or solution welcome.

Kind regards.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Why do you want to install a Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard virtual machine on a Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard install in the first place? And if you have to, use the 19 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD from the Apple Online Store.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
...I get a "cannot install OS in this machine" ! Which at first glance sounded strange to me. After reading the web, I understood Apple restrict the installation of an OS on a different machine (or at least configuration).
Does anyone has a clue on the virtualbox settings to use to make it work ?
This guide is for my 10.6.3 and 10.6.7 machine specific disks, but it should work also for Leopard disks. The guide assumes you use Snow Leopard as your platform and the necessary tools (see guide):
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13000644#post13000644

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.