Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
I had high hopes for this series starring Brie Larson, an amazing and award winning actress, and so far it has been everything I had hoped for and more. There is some very sensitive subject matter that I wasn't expecting, but I guess I kind of should have considering her character being a female trying to break through into a male dominated profession at the time (1950s). If the rest of the series is as good as the first two then this will be another one of Apple TV+'s outstanding series that hopefully goes many seasons.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Wife and I watched the first 3 episodes... neither of us has read the book, so no clue what to expect... could easily see this turning dark... or not.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I didn't read a book (just started reading) so I am not personally bothered by reader's favorite scenes getting condensed or omitted altogether. But I am really loving the ride so far. The latest episode (CH3COOH) is just so satisfying, filled with happy moments (except may be adorable Mad's pouting).

TanY

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2023
I'm hooked. The show sure is navigating some sensitive subject matters, but with what feels to be the right dose of sensitivity.

Reactions: shadow puppet

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I love how everyone in this thread is so careful to avoid spoilers, that we don't even talk about the plot at all. Just about how enjoyable each episode is. ☺️

Reactions: TanY

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I love how everyone in this thread is so careful to avoid spoilers, that we don't even talk about the plot at all. Just about how enjoyable each episode is. ☺️

Because ATV+ attracts a more enlightened audience

TanY

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2023
I am so bummed there's only one episode left. I have thoroughly enjoyed the show thus far, including some of the more difficult (emotional) scenes.
Oh, no. I didn't even realise there was only one episode left. So sad when they come to an end. I've really enjoyed it too. The emotional scenes really sting, but I find there's something beautiful, maybe inspiring about many of the scenes that I'm not left in that dark space after the sting.

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
Watched it with my wife (she’s read the book). It’s fair to say she enjoyed it a great deal more than I did though I’m not saying it was bad. There was lots I liked I just thought lots of it was a bit predictable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.