Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Which ones do you like and which ones do you hate?

I'm a fan of the 2DS oddly enough for being hinge-less and GameBoy like, and getting hate on as much as it does where I feel its not warranted... plus its $80 with a preloaded game, cant beat that as a commuter beat up device. And it displays 2D games at native resolution of 400x240 despite being a 'lower resolution screen', instead of interpolation on the 800x240 display devices in 2D (which is virtually all models including N2DSXL, EXCEPT 2DS).

The white front/back and side red looks straight up HOT imo. I get SE vibes of cheap but awesome. and from another era while still holding up.

...Also partial to my N3DS XL that has a top IPS with great contrast (relatively) / viewing angles / and I dont find 3D to be a gimmick at all despite being an unpopular opinion too/ front facing stereo speakers. The buttons feel great too. Sadly its been phased out for the most part.

The new 3DS (the petit one) seems interesting in a good way too but dont have one. Maybe one day...

As for original 3DS, 3DSXL - meh.

And the latest, the N2DSXL - some nice stuff, like 'new' components but I dont really like the cell phone look of the top lid (or the loose and fragile feeling of it), the speakers by where you hold the device, the way to access game cart slot being covered, and none of the color schemes really grab me but it hasnt been out for too long -- though the white and orange is pretty nice! I think the price even, $150 even with a preload is too much though. But all you see on shelves for the most part are 2DS and N2DSXL.

Last edited:

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
I haven't gotten to play with a 2DS at all, but your description sounds pretty nice!

I own a New 3DS XL, and I like the size but not too fond of the display. Graphics looked kind of jagged on 3DS back on launch day, not to mention blowing the pixels up even bigger on XL models.

I've passed up some really great deals on 3DS games because I just don't see myself playing it anymore now that Switch is out. I would love to play Rhythm Heaven Megamix and WarioWare Gold for example, but want to "vote with my wallet" for Nintendo to put them on Switch.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I haven't gotten to play with a 2DS at all, but your description sounds pretty nice!

I own a New 3DS XL, and I like the size but not too fond of the display. Graphics looked kind of jagged on 3DS back on launch day, not to mention blowing the pixels up even bigger on XL models.

I've passed up some really great deals on 3DS games because I just don't see myself playing it anymore now that Switch is out. I would love to play Rhythm Heaven Megamix and WarioWare Gold for example, but want to "vote with my wallet" for Nintendo to put them on Switch.

I think there are a lot, maybe even most 3DS games, that wont come to Switch tho.. but I understand

Reactions: scottcampbell

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I just got a dual IPS Hyrule Edition refurb ! So probably going to return my 2DS, especially since 3DSXL came with another charger!

Got a great deal too, and it was more than 2DS but I think for all the spec bumps this will be a more than amazing commuter device

The 2DS is still great, but maybe I should pick up one second hand for even cheaper like $40

mqlcQbp.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: scottcampbell

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Never been a fan of the hingeless 2DS; have an original silver 3DS, and a Cosmo Black 3DSXL ( my wife has an Animal Crossing edition, and my daughter the Fire Emblem edition ), but do keep eyeing up a 2DS XL, especially as my battery seems to be on it's way out. Still play my 3DS a fair amount ( probably explains the battery dying ), mainly because it's far easier to take out and about. To me, the 3DS is a portable console, whereas the Switch is more a handheld than a portable ( maybe they'll release a Switch Mini to "fix" this ).

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Never been a fan of the hingeless 2DS; have an original silver 3DS, and a Cosmo Black 3DSXL ( my wife has an Animal Crossing edition, and my daughter the Fire Emblem edition ), but do keep eyeing up a 2DS XL, especially as my battery seems to be on it's way out. Still play my 3DS a fair amount ( probably explains the battery dying ), mainly because it's far easier to take out and about. To me, the 3DS is a portable console, whereas the Switch is more a handheld than a portable ( maybe they'll release a Switch Mini to "fix" this ).

Nintendo store online sells replacement batteries.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Nintendo store online sells replacement batteries.

Unfortunately, not in the UK. They want me to send it off to their repair centre, so it can be inspected. The console is 5 years old, and it’s fairly heavily used, even now. It’s just normal battery wear, but they seem to want to ignore that.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Unfortunately, not in the UK. They want me to send it off to their repair centre, so it can be inspected. The console is 5 years old, and it’s fairly heavily used, even now. It’s just normal battery wear, but they seem to want to ignore that.

Dang. No resellers on eBay either ?

I decided this hyrule edition is too nice to be a metro warrior ... and so is this device but got an un assuming but beast n3ds dual IPS for $99 with another charger

I think I’m done! Lol this escalated quick ..

But I am such an unexpected fanboy of 3ds it’s a gem and I want these devices while they’re still around before they become even rarer

gInIWh4.jpg

7RgU5r1.jpg

Last edited:

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Dang. No resellers on eBay either ?

For some reason, I never think of eBay. Just had a quick browse, there are a couple selling genuine bstteries at a reasonable price. Am wondering, though, if it’s worth picking up one of the upgraded batteries....?

Really liking the Mario :)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
For some reason, I never think of eBay. Just had a quick browse, there are a couple selling genuine bstteries at a reasonable price. Am wondering, though, if it’s worth picking up one of the upgraded batteries....?

Really liking the Mario :)

Thanks! I am too!

Just ordered N3DS and N3DSXL replacement batteries to have on reserve too :D

contemplating buying a N3DS cover plate to swap between this and mario... this hobby is getting out of control quick but I guess some people are worse than myself

also eyeing getting Mario Kart DS since Im having so much fun with Mk7, and Super Mario 64 DS is my only other original DS game I own... ugh why is 3DS so goood

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Thanks! I am too!

Just ordered N3DS and N3DSXL replacement batteries to have on reserve too :D

contemplating buying a N3DS cover plate to swap between this and mario... this hobby is getting out of control quick but I guess some people are worse than myself

also eyeing getting Mario Kart DS since Im having so much fun with Mk7, and Super Mario 64 DS is my only other original DS game I own... ugh why is 3DS so goood

There's life in Nintendo's handhelds yet :) I was about to pick up M+L Inside Story, and then I remembered I had the original, so I charged my old DSi, the first time in years. I could play it in the 3DS, but I find some DS games don't look as sharp on the XL's screen. MK DS is a lot of fun, btw :)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
There's life in Nintendo's handhelds yet :) I was about to pick up M+L Inside Story, and then I remembered I had the original, so I charged my old DSi, the first time in years. I could play it in the 3DS, but I find some DS games don't look as sharp on the XL's screen. MK DS is a lot of fun, btw :)

Awesome !

If I got a ds it would be DSi XL. Guaranteed dual IPS screens.

But I think it'd collect dust considering Mario 64 ds is the only
Original ds game
I own

But Mario kart ds on the way ;) I'm sure I'll like it, its Mario kart. Been playing the hell out of 7 on my 3ds and 8 on switch. Could use a third

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
GTA was a fun game on the DS, as was the Mario + Luigi series. Oddly, my DS games outnumber those I have for the 3DS....

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
mario kart DS is pretty sweet. Instantly makes me miss widescreen 3ds games though haha

150cc feels lightning speed compared to 150cc on mario kart 7

On a hardware related note, I'm really eyeing the crystal blue clear 2DS to complete my collection

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Not sure about Mario Kart, but I did read the other that the DS version of Insider Story runs at 60fps, whereas the 3DS versions runs at 30. Not sure how true that is, but maybe that's why MK DS feels quicker....?

Currently watching the price on an apparently new DSi XL.... :)

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
I wanted a regular sized new 3DS, but alas, it was only offered in the XL size here when it first went on sale. I'm a fan of "smaller" portable tech, generally speaking. The screen on the XL looks very screen-door-ish, which I assume is less so on the regular sized models.

Oddly enough, my first portable system was a DSLite, which I really enjoyed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.