Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Silicone is my material of choice for iPhone cases. I feel it provides the best grip compared to anything else I've ever used.

I was using a cheap one from a brand called Surphy that sells on Amazon with my old 8 Plus. It was perfect. Excellent grip. Tactile buttons. Great case.

So I purchased another Surphy case for my 12 Pro Max and it's terrible. The silicone is way less grippy. The buttons less tactile. No idea why they downgraded in silicone quality.

Then I purchased another case off Amazon from Otofly. Essentially identical to the Surphy but just a touch more front protection.

At this point I think all these silicone cases on Amazon are coming from the same Chinese factory, just sold under different names.

The Apple silicone case is a ridiculous $50 but I have a Best Buy gift card that would cover it. I might try it for that reason, plus I am intrigued by a MagSafe case in case I want to try a future dash mount and or wireless charging stand that incorporates this technology.

I would like to hear from others that use silicone cases and what they recommend.

hereforbeer

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2020
So far for the 12, my favorite cases are:

1. Caseology Nano Pop -- Love that this case is silicone-y but more smoother and doesn't collect lint or cause issues taking in and out of pocket.

2. Otterbox Figura -- Better build and best protection of any MagSafe case so far. It's also a little more boxy than Apple's cases so stays more true to 12 design a bit more.

3. ESR Clear Case (cheap one, not hybrid) -- This is the thinnest clear case (1.1 mm) out there. Good for MagSafe, because Apple's clear case is ugly this year. Unlike other thin covers, it's not so thin that it offers no protection nor it is so thick that you can tell a clear case is on. There are discreet but functional air gaps on all four edges that aren't that visible but do give confidence.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
Silicone is my material of choice for iPhone cases. I feel it provides the best grip compared to anything else I've ever used.

I was using a cheap one from a brand called Surphy that sells on Amazon with my old 8 Plus. It was perfect. Excellent grip. Tactile buttons. Great case.

So I purchased another Surphy case for my 12 Pro Max and it's terrible. The silicone is way less grippy. The buttons less tactile. No idea why they downgraded in silicone quality.

Then I purchased another case off Amazon from Otofly. Essentially identical to the Surphy but just a touch more front protection.

At this point I think all these silicone cases on Amazon are coming from the same Chinese factory, just sold under different names.

The Apple silicone case is a ridiculous $50 but I have a Best Buy gift card that would cover it. I might try it for that reason, plus I am intrigued by a MagSafe case in case I want to try a future dash mount and or wireless charging stand that incorporates this technology.

I would like to hear from others that use silicone cases and what they recommend.

I have the cord king case from Amazon and it’s perfect. It was a little slippery at first but once it wears down it’s great. Only $15 and doesn’t add weight like the apple silicone does. Thinking of grabbing more colors.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I have the cord king case from Amazon and it’s perfect. It was a little slippery at first but once it wears down it’s great. Only $15 and doesn’t add weight like the apple silicone does. Thinking of grabbing more colors.

Honestly I think all these cheap silicone cases come from the same factory in China. They are just sold under different names.

I've purchased two now from Amazon and they are both terrible. Surphy and Otofly.

I'm very happy with the Apple silicone case. Got it yesterday. Definitely much nicer than the cheap ones from Amazon. Didn't hurt that I had a gift card. $50 is a ridiculous retail price for them. Plus I want to use MagSafe accessories in the future.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I just ordered the Cordking case based on the recommendation here. My absolute favorite silicone cases had been the Torras Love Series cases but unfortunately they are not offering them for the 12 phones.

Update: so I received the Cordking silicone case today. For the price it’s a decent case. Feels good and fits good except the bottom is a little loose compared to the rest of it. The photo on Amazon doesn’t show individual holes for the speakers but it has them. It has a hard insert inside like most cases except for the button areas and the bottom. Those areas are more floppy silicone. So what I do notice and don’t really like is the feel of the buttons. They are kind of mushy rather than clicky. Not terribly so, but enough to bug me.

I won’t be returning this; but if anyone wants it, just PM your name and address and I’ll send it along at no cost to you. The color

Last edited:

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Does the outer layer of the Apple silicone case start peeling and look nasty after extended use?
Saw some of the past version peeling and was wondering about the current ones for the 12.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Does the outer layer of the Apple silicone case start peeling and look nasty after extended use?
Saw some of the past version peeling and was wondering about the current ones for the 12.
It’s kind of early to tell. But when I had my Apple silicone cases on prior phones, the bottom corners would catch and peel when taking them off and putting back on. I can’t see that happening with the 12 series ones as they don’t really catch on the corners.

Reactions: Hooterville

hauksson

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
It’s kind of early to tell. But when I had my Apple silicone cases on prior phones, the bottom corners would catch and peel when taking them off and putting back on. I can’t see that happening with the 12 series ones as they don’t really catch on the corners.
Not sure about that. I've seen some reviews and this picture poped up on me. So it depends on how you use your case.

Attachments

• Snímka obrazovky 2020-11-25 o 20.56.33.png
    Snímka obrazovky 2020-11-25 o 20.56.33.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 398

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Not sure about that. I've seen some reviews and this picture poped up on me. So it depends on how you use your case.
So far, no issues with mine. But if mine starts peeling with normal use and without a drop, I’ll return it for a replacement.

Last edited:

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Just got my plum silicone delivered. I love it! Different from the previous silicone case I had a couple of years ago. I’m on the fence about returning my black leather anyway. Hope this silicone doesn’t peel, split or otherwise degrade in quality too quickly.

Reactions: Nhwhazup

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
The silicone cases this year are some of the best Apple has ever made. The surface isn't as "sticky" as previous models. I find them easy to grip and comfortable to hold for long periods.

There is no way it could just tear like that from normal use. That comes from rough handling and carelessness. Some people just really don't care about taking care of their things. When people post pictures like that I just roll my eyes, because things like that just don't magically happen.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I have really liked the fit and feel of the good old Apple silicone cases. Buttons are about perfect, and it's a really trim fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.