Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I have wandered round so many posts/threads and have ended up half-deciding to get an LG 27UL550P-W.AEK.

Yes - I'd like 5K. And have read round all the reasons it would be a better idea.
Yes - I'd like an ASD.
Yes - I have considered an iMac but feel it is too costly for a machine with only a 24" screen, however good it is.
Yes - I could choose to pay for any of these.
No - I cannot find it within myself to pay that much. While I want better than my current Dell P2720DC QHD (2,560-by-1,440-pixel), there are limits!
No - 32" would be just too big. 28" would be OK.

Hence my looking at this model. At £264 incl. VAT, p&p.

Currently got an M1 mini (and, possibly, occasional use with an M1 MBP). Might at some point upgrade the mini.

I'd appreciate any comments/observations. Especially any serious deficits with this approach.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I saw this video a few days ago, and this guy actually returned his 27" 4K monitor and went back to a 27" 1440p.

This blog (also referenced in the video) has some useful information if you haven't seen it already. Ideally, you'll want a monitor that is around 110PPI or 220PPI for it to look good with macOS. 4K at 27" falls into the "bad" zone. Ignore all the snobs that say "bUt 110PPI IsN't ReTiNa!". If you sit a few feet away from your monitor, it really doesn't matter whether it's retina or not as your eyes cannot see the pixels from that far away. If you sit up close, then you may want to consider a 220PPI/retina display.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I saw this video a few days ago, and this guy actually returned his 27" 4K monitor and went back to a 27" 1440p.

This blog (also referenced in the video) has some useful information if you haven't seen it already. Ideally, you'll want a monitor that is around 110PPI or 220PPI for it to look good with macOS. 4K at 27" falls into the "bad" zone. Ignore all the snobs that say "bUt 110PPI IsN't ReTiNa!". If you sit a few feet away from your monitor, it really doesn't matter whether it's retina or not as your eyes cannot see the pixels from that far away. If you sit up close, then you may want to consider a 220PPI/retina display.

Thanks for your reply.

I had watched that video (again) and read pretty much all the comments. And do not see how we end up with quite a number of people saying they are using 4K and very happy - yet others bitterly complaining.

Can't help wondering if a combination of macOS updates and monitor firmware updates (and, of course, some models of mac and/or monitor) have little issue, while some have lots.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Can't help wondering if a combination of macOS updates and monitor firmware updates (and, of course, some models of mac and/or monitor) have little issue, while some have lots.
It's because nothing is more subjective about a computer than the monitor. For some 4K is absolutely great. For others 4K looks like crap. There's no right (or wrong) answer. Folks just need to buy what works for them and their budget.

Reactions: polyphenol

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I'm also very interested in this monitor. It's quite cheap for a 4K monitor, but has only 300 nits.

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
I had watched that video (again) and read pretty much all the comments. And do not see how we end up with quite a number of people saying they are using 4K and very happy - yet others bitterly complaining.
He's got a Part 2 to deal with some of that.

From what I understood, when the Mac is used with a 4K 27" monitor, it relies on its GPU to bear a heavier scaling workload in order to deliver the proper video signal to the display. If you are using a lower end Mac like his M1 series and demanding software (I'm not familiar with Blender, but I take it that is a workout for his setup), that burdens your Mac to begin with, then the added strain of scaling for a display with a resolution not in the 'sweet spot' make cause performance lags.

Someone doing basic tasks, or with a higher end Mac, might not notice a significant impact from that GPU task loading.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Several years old but a very good explanation of how to choose an external monitor for Mac ..

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
And do not see how we end up with quite a number of people saying they are using 4K and very happy - yet others bitterly complaining.
Confusing, isn't it?

Here's the thing: people have different desires, different expectations, different experiences in life, and the kicker - different eyesight.

What some people consider the ideal line height for Mac menus I consider too small.

What some people consider the ideal screen size (say 32") I consider too big.

Highly recommend you go to your nearest big box electronics store and just look at all the different monitors. See how much difference you can tell between the monitors simply by looking at them. Also check out the TVs and see if you can identify the visual differences.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I'm also very interested in this monitor. It's quite cheap for a 4K monitor, but has only 300 nits.
I suspect you too have been going round and round the available monitors! My "office" room has a window to my left, but only gets any direct sun for a brief period from dawn. 300 nits would be OK - I hope.

I also noted:

MSI Modern MD271UL 27" 4K

ASUS TUF 28" 4K

iiyama XU2792UHSU-B1 27" 4K

iiyama ProLite XUB2893UHSU-B5 28" 4K

Reactions: Sensamic

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
He's got a Part 2 to deal with some of that.

From what I understood, when the Mac is used with a 4K 27" monitor, it relies on its GPU to bear a heavier scaling workload in order to deliver the proper video signal to the display. If you are using a lower end Mac like his M1 series and demanding software (I'm not familiar with Blender, but I take it that is a workout for his setup), that burdens your Mac to begin with, then the added strain of scaling for a display with a resolution not in the 'sweet spot' make cause performance lags.

Someone doing basic tasks, or with a higher end Mac, might not notice a significant impact from that GPU task loading.
I do find this workload issue perplexing.

Simultaneously supports up to two displays:
One display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz connected via Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz connected via HDMI

From Apple specs., I could add a 6K monitor on top of my proposed 4K monitor. It seems hard to accept that just taking the step to 4K is likely to have a dramatic impact. But that is not based on experience - just what appears a reasonable interpretation of the specs.

Reactions: drrich2

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Confusing, isn't it?

Here's the thing: people have different desires, different expectations, different experiences in life, and the kicker - different eyesight.

What some people consider the ideal line height for Mac menus I consider too small.

What some people consider the ideal screen size (say 32") I consider too big.

Highly recommend you go to your nearest big box electronics store and just look at all the different monitors. See how much difference you can tell between the monitors simply by looking at them. Also check out the TVs and see if you can identify the visual differences.
One of my problems is that there is only one tech shop for many miles. And I went to that the other day. All larger monitors were together and showing the same television-style video feed. Not desktops and text, etc.

That same shop insisted that when partner wanted to upgrade her phone (from 13 mini to 15), she would not have a phone for a full week while they processed the trade-in. Couldn't get it past their ears that this is a wholly ridiculous scenario which no-one would accept in these days of most online purchases needed verification, etc., and travel tickets, bookings and the like requiring a phone. So I think we have blotted our copybook with them!

Reactions: picpicmac

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I do find this workload issue perplexing.

From Apple specs., I could add a 6K monitor on top of my proposed 4K monitor. It seems hard to accept that just taking the step to 4K is likely to have a dramatic impact. But that is not based on experience - just what appears a reasonable interpretation of the specs.
The difference between my M1 MBP and the mini feeding into my current monitor is really very significant. I'd like my monitor to be more like the MBP or an iMac screen!

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
27" 4k will look great, don't be concerned. I have been using one set to look like 1080p on a Air M1.
Given that a 1080 monitor would be cheaper, do you gain any discernible advantage in instead using a 4K monitor set to display like an 1080p monitor?

I ask because if someone is considering buying, the 4K will cost more, and the more value conscious buyer may wonder whether saving a few bucks buying a 1080p monitor is worthwhile. One might counter with a 4K monitor it's a little more 'future-proof' in case you later use it with something else.

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
Given that a 1080 monitor would be cheaper, do you gain any discernible advantage in instead using a 4K monitor set to display like an 1080p monitor?

Yes, everything is sharp. The 4K will "look like" a 1080p when it comes to the UI icon size and everything, but the 4K has 4 times more pixels and the text is sharp compared to a 1080p. A 1080p is not really useable anymore with the latest versions of macOS, the OS needs a HiDPI display, 1080p on a Full HD monitor looks very bad and low res.

Personally I prefer a 27" 4K vs a 27" 5K because of the UI size on a 27". I like the "it looks like" 1080p on 27" monitor, the "it look like" 1440p on the 27" has the UI too small for how my eyes like it. I know Apple is set on the 1440p@27" , but for many, the icons and UI are too small. In the end it doesn't matter what Apple likes, it matters what works for you.

Last edited:

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales

I ask because if someone is considering buying, the 4K will cost more, and the more value conscious buyer may wonder whether saving a few bucks buying a 1080p monitor is worthwhile. One might counter with a 4K monitor it's a little more 'future-proof' in case you later use it with something else.
Bear in mind, my current monitor is QHD (2,560-by-1,440-pixel).

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
The LG 27UL550P-W seems like it should serve you well.

I use the LG 32UL500-W. I know it is larger than you prefer, but I run in full 3840x2160 mode and the screen real estate is amazing. I went with this size to avoid needing a second display when I'm referencing lots of documents simultaneously. I've had it for a year now, and I'm very satisfied.

Like the 550, its brightness is capped at 300 nits. My office has a window behind me, and receives the evening sun. There are a couple weeks per year when the sun is on the right part of the horizon that I wish I had just a bit more brightness, but even then it's still adequate. I do run at or near max brightness full time though.

The only issue I have is that mine is a VA panel, so there is some slight color shifting in the periphery of my field of view, but the UL550 being based on an IPS panel would eliminate that. I don't do color critical work, so it's not a deal breaker, and over time I've gotten used to it.

There is absolutely no reason that I would choose a 110 ppi monitor over a 27" or 32" 4k panel. The GPU penalty of running in a scaled resolution on a 4k panel is about 3%-8% on my M1 Mac mini. It's minimal. It's not as though modern Macs are 2012 models that barely had enough GPU power to run a Retina display. The native resolution on my 13" M1 MBP is a scaled resolution. If running scaled resolutions were so resource intensive, Apple would have left those MBPs defaulting to 1280x800 retina resolution, but they choose to run them in 1440x900 as a default.

As long as you are pragmatic with reasonable expectations, and it sounds like you are, you will be more than satisfied with a 4k panel. I spent months dancing around the issue before I pulled the trigger, but I am very satisfied.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
The LG 27UL550P-W seems like it should serve you well.

I use the LG 32UL500-W. I know it is larger than you prefer, but I run in full 3840x2160 mode and the screen real estate is amazing. I went with this size to avoid needing a second display when I'm referencing lots of documents simultaneously. I've had it for a year now, and I'm very satisfied.

Like the 550, its brightness is capped at 300 nits. My office has a window behind me, and receives the evening sun. There are a couple weeks per year when the sun is on the right part of the horizon that I wish I had just a bit more brightness, but even then it's still adequate. I do run at or near max brightness full time though.

The only issue I have is that mine is a VA panel, so there is some slight color shifting in the periphery of my field of view, but the UL550 being based on an IPS panel would eliminate that. I don't do color critical work, so it's not a deal breaker, and over time I've gotten used to it.

There is absolutely no reason that I would choose a 110 ppi monitor over a 27" or 32" 4k panel. The GPU penalty of running in a scaled resolution on a 4k panel is about 3%-8% on my M1 Mac mini. It's minimal. It's not as though modern Macs are 2012 models that barely had enough GPU power to run a Retina display. The native resolution on my 13" M1 MBP is a scaled resolution. If running scaled resolutions were so resource intensive, Apple would have left those MBPs defaulting to 1280x800 retina resolution, but they choose to run them in 1440x900 as a default.

As long as you are pragmatic with reasonable expectations, and it sounds like you are, you will be more than satisfied with a 4k panel. I spent months dancing around the issue before I pulled the trigger, but I am very satisfied.
Jut bit the bullet. Direct from LG is £50 less than Amazon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.