Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
I just received my LG 27" 5K UltraFine monitor (new, not used, 27MD5KL-B).

Everything works great. However it has one small issue: the display isn't precisely aligned with the base horizontally (picture attached).

I wonder if other users have the same issue? I noticed that another buyer on Amazon mentioned the same problem.

So I wonder if I should return/replace it or they're ALL like this?

Granted this issue isn't the end of the world but for this money I'd sure want something perfect without any defects.

lg-27-alignment.jpg

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
These sorts of quality issues with the fit-and-finish of the LG 5K are, unfortunately, normal. I have two of them and have similar minor issues like this.

But people put up with it because the display itself is very good.

Reactions: zevrix and haruhiko

zevrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
These sorts of quality issues with the fit-and-finish of the LG 5K are, unfortunately, normal. I have two of them and have similar minor issues like this.

But people put up with it because the display itself is very good.

thanks that's good to know. i also contacted the seller to see if they can exchange it to a monitor without this defect.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
I eventually made a deal with the seller: they issued a $40 refund, which I'll use to buy a VESA stand. Because I realized that after all I just need to replace the stand. As fortunately the origial LG stand is removable and VESA adapter is included.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I eventually made a deal with the seller: they issued a $40 refund, which I'll use to buy a VESA stand. Because I realized that after all I just need to replace the stand. As fortunately the origial LG stand is removable and VESA adapter is included.
They didn't even allow return for a defective product? Are you sure it's only the problem with the stand?

zevrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
They didn't even allow return for a defective product? Are you sure it's only the problem with the stand?

The seller was totally ok, they did allow for full refund/exchange. It was my idea for the $40 credit instead, which they accepted.

The whole ordeal of packing and shipping the monitor back, then waiting for another one would cost me more in wasted time and hassle than any new stand. Plus who knows - what if another monitor will have the same stand issue? Like I mentioned, it seems to be a common issue with those monitors.

The monitor itself seems to work perfectly. The problem is entirely with the stand: it's like this stem that's moving inside its enclosure up/down is slightly misaligned with whatever is inside there. The monitor itself has nothing to do with this: it's just attached to the stand that's misaligned.

Reactions: haruhiko
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.