Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diegog

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2018
Miami, FL
Hi,

Aside from the pixel resolution setting, and going back to the original question about the monitor settings. Here are a few I still can't figure out whether they should be On or Off (when working on graphic design).

1- Picture/Brightness/ DFC (Adjusts the brightness automatically according to the screen ).
…To what screen? I have only one screen.

2- Picture Mode/ HDR Effect (Optimizes the screen for high dynamic range).
…My monitor is connected via Thunderbolt.

3- General/ Local Dimming (Maximizes the contrast ratio by making the bright areas of the screen brighter and the dark areas of the screen darker).
…very clueless about this one.

Thank you for your help,

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
3- General/ Local Dimming (Maximizes the contrast ratio by making the bright areas of the screen brighter and the dark areas of the screen darker).
…very clueless about this one.
You'll probably want this off for graphic design work, and if you're unsure you probably also want to disable HDR Effect. Local dimming is a transition technology that can make videos look better but has disadvantages for many other applications. You can search the web for details. Actually, if I were you I'd disable all three of these. DFC is like local dimming but with just one zone. With graphic design work you want deterministic brightness, not some algorithm playing around with the backlight depending on content.

Reactions: diegog and mudflap

diegog

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2018
Miami, FL
You'll probably want this off for graphic design work, and if you're unsure you probably also want to disable HDR Effect. Local dimming is a transition technology that can make videos look better but has disadvantages for many other applications. You can search the web for details. Actually, if I were you I'd disable all three of these. DFC is like local dimming but with just one zone. With graphic design work you want deterministic brightness, not some algorithm playing around with the backlight depending on content.
Thank you for the inside. Makes perfect sense.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Here's something cuckoo and fun. Samsung is releasing a 57" ultrawide that's nearly 8k x 2k. Basically it takes the 40" 5k/2k resolution and grafts about 8" width of pixels to each end.

Note that the native horizontal resolution of 7680 is 2x what the current 34" and 40" ultrawides have (3840) so Pro/Max chips should be able to drive it natively. HOWEVER, there likely won't be any HiDPI resolutions supported above 3840 due to the same limitations we face now on the 34/40" versions.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Here's something cuckoo and fun. Samsung is releasing a 57" ultrawide that's nearly 8k x 2k. Basically it takes the 40" 5k/2k resolution and grafts about 8" width of pixels to each end.

Note that the native horizontal resolution of 7680 is 2x what the current 34" and 40" ultrawides have (3840) so Pro/Max chips should be able to drive it natively. HOWEVER, there likely won't be any HiDPI resolutions supported above 3840 due to the same limitations we face now on the 34/40" versions.

Also a 27“ 5K Screen which is much more exciting imo. Didn’t think that this would ever happen outside Apple

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
It's simply two 32" 4K side-by-side in one display, just like the 49" ones are like two standard 27" side-by-side.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
It's simply two 32" 4K side-by-side in one display, just like the 49" ones are like two standard 27" side-by-side.
Lol. And? No one has ever done it before. Not sure why you'd "simply" decide that it's not a big deal. This is super cool. If it's not for you, move on.

Reactions: AlphaCentauri

Gavin H

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2023
I have lots of problems with this monitor - and was just about to give up and return it - even got a different (much cheaper DELL monitor) and ran them side by side. (LG via T3 cable and the Dell on HDMI) The Dell wouldn't get past 3440x1440 - I have a feeling you can't go past this with HDMI ?
Anyway with both monitors running - the LG behaved as I wanted it to - but the moment I disconnected the Dell monitor (physically removed the HDMI cable) the LG would have heart attack - go blank for 20 seconds at a time and then show the desktop for about half a second (which was not enough time to click on anything).

I did set up a BetterDummy and that fooled the LG into behaving (as if there were two monitors) - but as soon as I restarted (and the software BetterDummy wasn't loaded)..back to full on heart attack mode.

Then as a last resolve I connected the USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) AND the HDMI cable to the LG Monitor simultaneously - everything went GREAT and I can access all the resolutions including 3840x1620 (the one you really want for a monitor this large).

In the Displays panel it looks like I have two LG HDR 5K monitors and I set one of them as "Main" and the other one as "Mirror". For some reason my LG only behaves when there appears to be two monitors connected.

Don't know if this makes any difference but Monitor setting : Display port is set to 1.4

I have a Mac Studio with M1 Max (OS Ventura 13.1)

I hope this helps someone !

Last edited:

Robdmb

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
I have lots of problems with this monitor - and was just about to give up and return it - even got a different (much cheaper DELL monitor) and ran them side by side. (LG via T3 cable and the Dell on HDMI) The Dell wouldn't get past 3440x1440 - I have a feeling you can't go past this with HDMI ?
Anyway with both monitors running - the LG behaved as I wanted it to - but the moment I disconnected the Dell monitor the LG would have heart attack - go blank for 20 seconds at a time and then show the desktop for about half a second (which was not enough time to click on anything).

I have a Mac Studio with M1 Max (OS Ventura 13.1)
Then as a last resolve I connected the USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) AND the HDMI cable and everything went GREAT and I can access all the resolutions including 3840x1620 (the one you really want for a monitor this large).

In the Displays panel it looks like I have two LG HDR 5K monitors and I set one of them as "Main" and the other one as "Mirror".
Don't know if this makes any difference but Monitor setting : Display port is set to 1.4

I hope this helps someone !
How did the Dell look at 3440 x 1440? Is that the native resolution of the Dell? Was text sharp enough?

Gavin H

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2023
yes it wasn't too bad (text was sharp) - but I missed the extra space that 3840x1620 gives you. Also I didn't love the curved monitor of the Dell. I've never had one before and having used the LG for the last 3 months I much prefer it.

Wonderm00n

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2024
I just moved from a MBP 2026 (Intel) to a MBA M3 2024 (MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1) and I can't use the 3360x1417 or 3840x1620 resolutions I used before. Well, I can, using BetterDisplay but they're not HiDPI. Everything is blurred.

Is it possible to activate one of those resolutions with HiDPI and how?

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I just moved from a MBP 2026 (Intel) to a MBA M3 2024 (MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1) and I can't use the 3360x1417 or 3840x1620 resolutions I used before. Well, I can, using BetterDisplay but they're not HiDPI. Everything is blurred.

Is it possible to activate one of those resolutions with HiDPI and how?
Hmm. Well, there are a lot of comments about these resolutions in the threads for each of the various 5k/2k widescreen monitors. Here and there people have turned up to say they get 3840 x 1620 with an M2 or M3 MBA. I wonder if they are but not in HiDPI??

I've tried my wife's M2 and daughter's M3 - both airs - with my 40" version of this monitor, and I can't get HiDPI. I may be doing something wrong with BetterDummy and SwitchResX. But it works in HiDPI driven by my M1 Max.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
it's a technical limitation of the chip, I don't think that there is anything you can do about it. It's just too many pixels for it, as the Mac has to interpolate the resolution virtually up to something else, so that it can divide it by 2 for HDPI

Last edited:

srikat

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Using BetterDisplay, we have a huge range of resolutions choices.

1714396055373.png

1714396077769.png

Not sure what the point of setting it to the highest 3840x1620 is. Everything looks so tiny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.