Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrhansolo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Hello,

I am currently running two LG 27" 4K monitors off of my 2018 Mini. In the next few months my home office will be completed and I will be moving out of my current office area (in the basement). Both of my monitors are wall mounted, and getting each mount lined up and installed so the monitors could sit side by side was one of the most tedious things I have ever done.

Due to that, and because I really like the look of one seamless monitor I have been looking at the LG 49WL95C Utrawide 5K for when I make the move to my new office. This seems like the perfect replacement for my two 27" 4K's without any real compromise.

However, I have been reading a lot of support articles saying that 49" Ultrawides are not supported on the 2018 Minis without a workaround of using two cables and thus the mac recognizing the ultra wide as two separate 27" screens. While this would probably work for my setup, I would like to see if there is a chance that the workaround may not be necessary in the future.

From what I was reading it seems that the problem itself was with Mojave? If I remember correctly users running Windows on the 2018 mini were able to get the monitor to work natively. One thread I was reading was saying that a fix may have become available in 10.14.3, however, there has not been an update since that time to see if the 49" ultrawides work without a workaround. I am hopeful that if the fix is not in a Mojave update, that Catalina has fixed the issues with the 49" 5K Ultrawides.

Thanks,

Han

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.