Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalm3

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
SoCal
I have ordered two LG 5K displays and would like to prepare my workstation ahead of their arrival but the VESA mount details are sparse. These will be replacing 2 Thunderbolt displays mounted on the Bretford Mobile Pro arms that are attached directly to the wall. Unfortunately no matter how careful I was I wasn't able to get the TB displays perfectly aligned.

Since I will start over with the new displays i'm hoping some kind sole might have some tips to get these aligned perfectly. I have a corner desk and the arms are attached to alternate walls and I believe my problem is that the walls aren't perfectly square. Using (probably improperly) a laser guide and levels didn't help me :)

Also do the LG 5K displays come with a separate VESA attachment that can be pre-mounted or do you simply remove the current stand to expose the VESA mounting?

Any pictures, diagrams, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I purchased 2 Ergotech arm, one for the LG 27UD88 and second one for the 5k coming next week. the 5k comes with a separate vesa cover that you attach your arm to.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Any pictures, diagrams, tips would be greatly appreciated.

There is a cover on the back that you remove and replace with the VESA mount cover that allows access to the mounting holes. You can see it in this page from the manual.

I just got the cover out of my box and snapped these shots for you. There are no threads in those four holes (100 x 100mm), so it appears the threaded holes are on the monitor itself and not this cover. The bolts would just go through the holes in the cover. So it does not look like you could screw the mount to this cover in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 9.06.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 9.06.23 AM.png
    375.9 KB · Views: 1,812
  • IMG_2143.jpg
    IMG_2143.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,997
  • IMG_2142.jpg
    IMG_2142.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2,318
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.