Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
According to latest news, it looks like LG have fired the entire team responsible for the G5 design. Seems clear they are not happy with the reception it recieved and the subsequent sales of the recent flagship.

(I wonder if Lenovo will be facing something similar when the modular Z ships amidst the heavy weight iPhone 7 & Note 7 launches)

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
According to latest news, it looks like LG have fired the entire team responsible for the G5 design. Seems clear they are not happy with the reception it recieved and the subsequent sales of the recent flagship.

Yeah I read about that too. Sorry but LG did screw up with the G5, I owned one for a week, even rooted it. The size was nice, and overall rounfed shape. But that was it.

- Piss poor screen quality, and very dim making it useless outdoors almost
- 2,800mAh sized battery in a 2016 flagship is a joke, they should have made it like 3,200mAh minimum
- Metal build felt like painted plastic
- Modular stuff was stupid, the way they did it.
- Overall it felt like a mid range phone.

I'm surprised at the crappy screen, why LG ? They are known for making some of the top best reviewed OLED 4K TV screens for home theaters. Those TVs are like the best of the best, deepest black, very vibrant colors. Can't they use that tech for their smartphone displays ?

Reactions: MRU

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
(I wonder if Lenovo will be facing something similar when the modular Z ships amidst the heavy weight iPhone 7 & Note 7 launches)

We'll know once reviews start coming out. The tech blogs were bagging the G5 from the start. It just never got legs. If the moto Z even gets decent reviews and sales, I expect it will continue the line.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US

Lol we all saw something like this happening. The sales just have not been there.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The original / earlier spec's of the G5 were a 5.6" screen, 3,500mAh battery, and much more stripped down UI than previous G phones, all metal body like an HTC One line.

If LG made the above phone, it would've done pretty well, not S7 Edge sale killer, but at least a good #2 smartphone. But the G5 as is, is just a turd

For me it was two things; the crap screen, and small battery.

Reactions: nviz22

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
The original / earlier spec's of the G5 were a 5.6" screen, 3,500mAh battery, and much more stripped down UI than previous G phones, all metal body like an HTC One line.

If LG made the above phone, it would've done pretty well, not S7 Edge sale killer, but at least a good #2 smartphone. But the G5 as is, is just a turd

For me it was two things; the crap screen, and small battery.

Agree with the bolded.
I don't think the buying public is ready for modular the way LG and Moto have approached it.
No one wants to carry around all th extra junk to have a great user experience.
I predict the Moto line to maybe sell a little better....but fail as well. People just don't want to have to carry around all those accessories.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Agree with the bolded.
I don't think the buying public is ready for modular the way LG and Moto have approached it.
No one wants to carry around all th extra junk to have a great user experience.
I predict the Moto line to maybe sell a little better....but fail as well. People just don't want to have to carry around all those accessories.

Especially a $300 projector !!

I honestly think Lenovo won't sell as many Z devices as previous X (which was always less than G anyway).

For me the Z alienates me as much as the G5 did to those purchasers of the G2,G3 & G4... Like LG, if Lenovo just can't convince people who loved their previous flagship X line, those that bought each model since its launch, they may fail to do the business like LG has with the G5.

Especially as it's another device that isn't really carried by mobile operators here or UK and is generally bought full price off contract direct from Retailers or MotoMaker ... We know it's going to be a good bit pricier than the X too (hence they are still keeping the existing X for sale) ...

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Especially a $300 projector !!

I honestly think Lenovo won't sell as many Z devices as previous X (which was always less than G anyway).

For me the Z alienates me as much as the G5 did to those purchasers of the G2,G3 & G4... Like LG, if Lenovo just can't convince people who loved their previous flagship X line, those that bought each model since its launch, they may fail to do the business like LG has with the G5.

Especially as it's another device that isn't really carried by mobile operators here or UK and is generally bought full price off contract direct from Retailers or MotoMaker ... We know it's going to be a good bit pricier than the X too (hence they are still keeping the existing X for sale) ...
yep! IMHO if Moto was going to stray so much from the previous X model, they should have released both models in parallel. This way it would be smooth transition to the new semi modular designs. People could choose what they liked.
The Moto X was a really good phone. But the new direction looks a little disjointed to me. I don't think it will sell as well as the previous Moto X model.

LG needs to come out with a new phone quickly to capture some of the mindshare back that the G5 has lost for them.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Surprised we haven't had any V10 successor leaks ...
Oh yeah forgot about the V10! They have a chance to gain back some momentum with a new V10! :)
I haven't seen or heard anything so far either.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I bet the V10 will be a worthy successor, they may have scrapped original plans, being based of a G5 type design, and now going full on different direction.

Just make a great phablet and call it the V12, but strip down the UI, and for sure use the amazing OLED tech that LG is so well known for on their awesome TVs. Give it a 3,600mAh sized battery, and slim it down like a Galaxy Note series.

They would sell really well IMO

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
I'm surprised at the crappy screen, why LG ? They are known for making some of the top best reviewed OLED 4K TV screens for home theaters. Those TVs are like the best of the best, deepest black, very vibrant colors. Can't they use that tech for their smartphone displays ?

Always thought that was weird. Samsung talks about how great LCD is for TVs while LG boasts about OLED for TVs. They, inexplicably, change viewpoints for phones.

Reactions: Tig Bitties and MRU

iFoure

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Gotta share:

April: When G5 was announced, I pre-ordered and was fully planning of getting it. 700€ for a new LG flagship, okay. Then came the buzzing of the hardware faults: Bad screen bleeding, gaps in the bottom part, bad paint job etc. I became unsure: should I spend 700€ for a phone that at least in the first batches is badly manufactured? I decided to cancel my pre-order. I was bummed :( But I kept the option for G5 open for the future.

2 Months Later: I wasn't planning of getting the G5 quite so soon but I saw a summer deal that I couldn't resist: G5 costing only 529€ (589 dollars). The G5 has been available for 2 months now and currently still costs 690€ (768 dollars). So I'm saving 160€ (178 dollars), making this deal quite a bomb :D

Gonna get my Titan G5 next week, can't wait! I of course hope to get a problem-free unit *fingers crossed*

I currently own a 11 month old G3 and have been 95% happy with it. As this is my 2nd LG smartphone, I feel like I've become a LG supporter :p I do hope LG gets their act together and fixes their hardware: boot looping fault in too many models: G3? G4, V10? and now G5?. And of course the G5 "hardware-gate". Read the news that LG has fired some executives because the G5 hasn't generated expected sale figures. Ouch :/

How is everyone's mood with their G5's?

Happy :D
Unhappy :(
Indifferent :/
It's complicated :S

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Always thought that was weird. Samsung talks about how great LCD is for TVs while LG boasts about OLED for TVs. They, inexplicably, change viewpoints for phones.

LG's OLED TVs are known industry wide as some of the top tier best displays on the market, far superior to Sony's and Samsung's TVs.

Why don't they use that tech in their phones ?
[doublepost=1467483881][/doublepost]I dumped my G5 after one week, due to the terrible screen, really dim and bad outdoors, even indoors it was too low brightness. And the cheap rattling feel of the phone and paint job too made it feel like a medium priced phone, not a flagship.

I picked up a Nexus 6P two weeks ago, couldn't be happier, best phone IMO I've owned in a long while.

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
The LG G2 remains one of my favourite phones of all time. That phone had a large screen but with tiny bezels so it felt small, it had amazing battery life and the only problems were the phone feeling a bit cheap and the poor software.

The LG G3 and G4 just got bigger for no real reason and with the G5 they made the screen smaller again but again seemingly improved very little.

LG is rapidly going the way of HTC if they carry on like this.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The LG G2 truly was a beast for its day. Back then a 3,000mAh battery was unheard for a regular flagship phone, and thus gave it great battery life. And the screen to body ratio was outstanding, very compact phone.

Seems like LG went backwards ever since.

They need to get back to larger screen, but very slim small overall phone, and put a big battery in it compared to others flagships, which would mean they need like a 3,300mAh battery.

The G5 could've rocked if it had a 5.5" screen, but very minimal bezels making it small as possible. And then put in a 3,500mAh battery. And use the amazing OLED tech from the LG TVs. That seems like a no brainier for them to build something like that, and it would have great sales.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well the relative failure of the G5 might be the kick in the pants they need.

For me the biggest change LG needs to make is to its software. They need to learn that horrible animations & transitions and ugly 2008 design ethos, do not hold up to standard in 2016.

If any company could benefit from embracing stock its LG.

Their software is akin to Homer's addiction to star wipes

Reactions: jamezr and gotluck

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Build an upgraded g2 with stockish Android and you'll get plenty of people drooling! Battery life, screen to body ratio, and size (preference) are loved by many!

They still need to sell an unlocked 4 carrier phone for USA too though. Lg is carrier only in usa afaik

G2 gets my pic as one of most iconic Android phones

Last edited:

slopokdave

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
I used the G5 for 30 days, returned it to Tmo.... By far the most awful Android I've ever used. And I've used probably every major flagship over the years. Battery sucked, phone heated up all the time and thermal throttled, screen was meh, fingerprint sensor rarely worked.

The only reason I got it was I gave my S7 Edge to my son because he broke his oneplusone, and I wanted to try something different....

In the meantime I'm running a i6s+ until the fall, then I'll decide on getting the Note 7 or ip7. Or even back to the S7E, it was such a great phone!

Reactions: jamezr

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
It's strange hearing all these drastic experiences from people. I've had the G5 since launch and it's the best android phone I've used in a while. The only fault I see in the phone is the screen brightness and the usless modular design. It definately has the best camera I've used on any phone.

slopokdave

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
It's strange hearing all these drastic experiences from people. I've had the G5 since launch and it's the best android phone I've used in a while. The only fault I see in the phone is the screen brightness and the usless modular design. It definately has the best camera I've used on any phone.

I'm sure mine had a hardware fault. If I did a warranty exchange I couldn't use Tmo JUMP for 60 days. So I took their exchange instead for a 6s+.

I agree on the camera. It was excellent. The wide angle was fantastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.