Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
Yes, why not? It's around the corner..

I quite like LG top models, especially for their audio quality. I'm an avid music fan, so it's very important. The dual cameras are pretty handy for taking wide-angle pics, covers a very very big areas in single frame.

lets talk LG G7.

Attachments

• kapbUHJEVj57hVp5yE27VC-970-80[1].jpg
    kapbUHJEVj57hVp5yE27VC-970-80[1].jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 261
Reactions: ShaunAFC3

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
I think it should come without an notch....
No. why? If anything, the "essential phone" seems to have done it right. notch is there but much less annoying than iphone x and other. The Huawei is offering to hide it at will. so your display is more symmetrical.

OlegOlesyaKotovRozovsky

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2018
To me the I don't like notches on ANDROID phones just so they can put in a selfie camera, earpiece speaker, and a ambient sensor.

On the Essential Phone, the notch houses a front facing camera, (maybe) an Ambient light sensor (or Essential could have put in on the bottom of the phone, below the screen.) and the Earpiece is above the screen. (Don't trust me, look it up for yourself. The Essential phone uses some kind of vibrations for normal phone calls (Phone to Ear) to make the audio come out of top of the phone.) So Essentially it basically houses a front-facing camera, (Maybe an Ambient light sensor.)

With the iPhone X, the notch FLOWS with the design, and I like the notch on the iPHONE. Because the notch has an speaker, Ambient light sensor, Front facing camera, an microphone, and Face ID (Infrared camera, Flood illuminator, Proximity sensor, Dot projector.)

On the iPhone X it makes sense to have an notch because it houses exactly 8 sensors, meanwhile the Essential phone houses at least 1 sensor, maybe 2, just to have an notch.

On the iPhone X, the reason why the notch has to be big is because it houses 8 state-of-the-art sensors to make the iPhone X the way it is. iPhone X Face ID is possible because of the notch, but also Apple switch to an 19:9 aspect ratio for its screen, so either way we will have to find a way to house all of the sensors on the iPhone X. Plus Apple wanted an All-Screen Design, so having the notch is required for Apple's high standards. But having Touch ID on the back of the phone or in the display isn't the future that Apple is going for. Face ID is the future that Apple is going for.

Also the iPhone X has an OLED screen, while the Essential phone has an LCD display. So of course the iPhone X will look a lot better than the Essential Phone because the design flows with the device, and it is came possible by having an OLED display.

These are my opinions. Lets be civil about this. I'm just trying to make my point.
c09fa5903f22224813d2f6e06f415317.jpg
89ab590d14d14f93be306d1f409efc42.jpg

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
Funny that this is coming out right after I got a V30, LOL. The specs are very nice and it seems like a phone I'd buy, but good god I wish Android OEMs would stop blatantly copying Apple like this.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008

These are my opinions. Lets be civil about this. I'm just trying to make my point.

I find notch on any phone annoying. it's ugly. don't know if you saw older LG V10 or V20.. point is, they could have placed front camera at the corner, so you have more screen.

kudos to xiaomi, see their "mi mix 2", no notch AND full screen.

Attachments

• 5a15d0ce7a2d1.jpg
    5a15d0ce7a2d1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 218

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I find notch on any phone annoying. it's ugly. don't know if you saw older LG V10 or V20.. point is, they could have placed front camera at the corner, so you have more screen.

kudos to xiaomi, see their "mi mix 2", no notch AND full screen.

Mi Mix 2 is nice but it’s not full screen, still has a chin. And having the camera in the lower right corner is less than ideal.

I’d actually prefer that they leave a little bezel at the ‘forehead’ since it would allow for a more useful sensor/camera placement and reduce the reach to the top of the actual display.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Here is MBKHD video on the G7.
Love that they added a dedicated on/off button on the right side of the phone. No more pressing in on the FPS.
Not so sure about the extra Google Assistant button to be honest.
Its another button to have to try to remap

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Extremely uninspiring.
I don't want to speak badly of something that others may be really eager for, but why would anyone actually buy it?
I think if it had mid range specs to go with the LCD display and was priced like a mid range phone then I'd get it. But as it is? Seems strange.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Extremely uninspiring.
I don't want to speak badly of something that others may be really eager for, but why would anyone actually buy it?
I think if it had mid range specs to go with the LCD display and was priced like a mid range phone then I'd get it. But as it is? Seems strange.
LG is in the same space as HTC to me. They both make some great products...but sometimes you look at some of their products and have to shake my head. It's like "what were they thinking?" Who did the product testing and test groups? It's like they are just a little out of touch with their customers wants and needs.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Here is MBKHD video on the G7.
Love that they added a dedicated on/off button on the right side of the phone. No more pressing in on the FPS.
Not so sure about the extra Google Assistant button to be honest.
Its another button to have to try to remap

He called out LG for not having a USP to distinguish/differentiate itself from the competition. I agree. LG will probably charge $800 and struggle. It’s such a rudimentary mistake they keep repeating yearly.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
LG is in the same space as HTC to me. They both make some great products...but sometimes you look at some of their products and have to shake my head. It's like "what were they thinking?" Who did the product testing and test groups? It's like they are just a little out of touch with their customers wants and needs.

I have to agree.
I tried a V30 and was quite impressed with it early on, but soon after I really hated the skin. I can't really put my finger on why either, as it wasn't heavy like an EMUI or anything, but as it stands I'd choose EMUI over it any day.
Like HTC's Sense, it seems really outdated.

They need to nail the basics first (OS) before they do anything else IMO.
Personally I felt like they'd designed a near perfect phone in first the G6 (at the time) and then bettered it with the V30.

So to see this mess is dis-heartening.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Guess this there is basically zero interest in this one with you guys. I would never even think about getting it at release paying an exorbitant price but I am going to check it out nonetheless.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I don't see where the issue with this phone lies... I actually quite like it. I like the walkie-talkie like button for Assistant. I'm OK with the notch, especially since you can hide it. I like what I've seen from the cameras in these early hands on. The wide-angle camera is SO much more convenient than the telephoto, IMHO. Especially since the telephotos use digital zoom once you go passed 2x anyway. I love that they're sticking with wireless charging and keeping a headphone jack, too. All while remaining IP68. They do need some work on their skin as that light turquoise colored highlights need to die a painful death, however. I admit that it probably won't sell well, and it should start at maybe $649 (TOPS). But I think it looks like a really solid option in the Android space.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
$750 means T-Mobile had to announce a BOGO at launch lol. My dad wants to ditch the Note 8, so I may get him the LG G7 through the BOGO for one for me and other for him. Reviews better come quick.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
How is the G7 launcher skin any better than say Samsung's UX skin? Or is it not any better?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
Which is generally better for software updates: Samsung or LG? By better I mean with regards to speed, frequency and long-term support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.