Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Really surprised google didn't make a play for LG or even HTC for that matter. Probably could have gotten some really good stuff for their pixels.

Really hoping it just doesn't come down to Apple or Samsung :(
It has been down to Apple or Samsung for high end flagships for a while now ever since Huawei got the ban-hammer. Google has no interest nor focus in hardware. Heck, they cannot even focus on their own software, abandoning/dropping their own products/services left and right willy nilly.

In Android world, it's literally just Samsung vs the Chinese.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Google is to the point they can't push out an update without majorly breaking something like web view ?

Can't bring myself to jump into the Apple juice though

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I don't like LG mobile devices much but it's still sad to see another manufacturer leave.
Less competition isn't a win for all.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
... and they're gone :confused:

Never been much into LG but takes yet another player out of the market. Soon it'll be just Apple and Samsung. One walled garden vs another (I still maintain it wouldn't take much for samsung to walk away from android, but samsung is getting it's own ecosystem laid atop of android). Any who, what does this mean?

Is android actually on its way out?
guess we know why google is trying to make their own soc... Will it be enough? Is Apple going to win? I mean heck, even I've looked at them for privacy orientation.

who knows. The choice and options seem to be dwindling. Farewell LG, I hardly knew thee. :( And I have growing concerns about android (have for a while now...) ?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

Never been much into LG but takes yet another player out of the market. Soon it'll be just Apple and Samsung. One walled garden vs another (I still maintain it wouldn't take much for samsung to walk away from android, but samsung is getting it's own ecosystem laid atop of android). Any who, what does this mean?

guess we know why google is trying to make their own soc... Will it be enough? Is Apple going to win? I mean heck, even I've looked at them for privacy orientation.

who knows. The choice and options seem to be dwindling. Farewell LG, I hardly knew thee. :( And I have growing concerns about android (have for a while now...) ?
More like it's just Samsung and the Chinese. Htc, Sony, the old major players are out already. Motorola is bought by Lenovo.

It was Apple, Samsung, and Huawei. But with the Huawei ban, now it's just Apple and Samsung in the high end, and Xiaomi and the BBK group for the rest. Luckily competition still look fierce amongst the Chinese. Hopefully they're anot consolidating .

Android is fine. It's in the best interest if Google as an ad company to make sure their ad platform remains the majority. It's just the consumer choice becomes more limited in some markets.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA

I have an LG V60 and it's a great phone, but looks like it'll be my last LG once it's time to upgrade. So feature packed with things like a headphone jack and premium DAC plus I have the cool Dual Screen case.

As far as Android goes I don't see it going anywhere. Google would sell it before they just shut it down. I don't see everyone else just pulling out of the market and giving Apple 100% market share. Could you imagine iPhone prices if they had a monopoly like that? It is sad to see LG leave the market just when they were making some really nice phones and sorted out their issues. Business is business though and if it is losing money at some point you have to cut it off.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I have an LG V60 and it's a great phone, but looks like it'll be my last LG once it's time to upgrade. So feature packed with things like a headphone jack and premium DAC plus I have the cool Dual Screen case.

As far as Android goes I don't see it going anywhere. Google would sell it before they just shut it down. I don't see everyone else just pulling out of the market and giving Apple 100% market share. Could you imagine iPhone prices if they had a monopoly like that? It is sad to see LG leave the market just when they were making some really nice phones and sorted out their issues. Business is business though and if it is losing money at some point you have to cut it off.
It's not Apple, it's Samsung who will have free reign on high end Android. :D With Huawei gone, your only choice for Android flagship is basically just Samsung. Thus Samsung is not breaking any sweat copying Apple like removing charger, etc. They know they have no peers on the high end.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Losing competition in a market is always bad for the consumer, but if we're being honest LG has been pretty bad for a while now. They make phones that are inferior to the competition at their price point.

Shame we won't see that sliding foldable device.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012

If possible see if whoever you bought it from can offer discounts on newer devices now, I doubt the V60 will get any major updates so I'd cut my loses now.

And it's a great phone but I still wonder how LG couldn't really push the DAC since LG phones sounded much better than bluetooth due to the dac but the time we live in is sheep mode so I see how this happened.

And the WING IMO had major potential, I still think the concept was great and if pushed right with the right features it could have been very useful. I like the design more than the FOLD2 IMO.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Let's all embrace V60's video recording abilities that have yet to be matched by any other smartphone

Reactions: DakotaGuy

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
LG is no longer selling Android smartphones.

Luckily... the following manufacturers still are:

Samsung
Huawei
Xiaomi
Oppo
Vivo
Motorola
Realme
Tecno mobile limited
Infinix mobility limited
Amlogic
Sony
Hmd global
Asus
Lenovo
OnePlus
ZTE
Alcatel
Itel
and so on...

:p

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
If possible see if whoever you bought it from can offer discounts on newer devices now, I doubt the V60 will get any major updates so I'd cut my loses now.

And it's a great phone but I still wonder how LG couldn't really push the DAC since LG phones sounded much better than bluetooth due to the dac but the time we live in is sheep mode so I see how this happened.

And the WING IMO had major potential, I still think the concept was great and if pushed right with the right features it could have been very useful. I like the design more than the FOLD2 IMO.
It’s only 6 months old and Android 11 was just pushed to it so I am in no hurry to upgrade. It’s not like a Snapdragon 865 is slow and it is 5G capable. I’ll run it another year and see what’s new at that point.

Reactions: cuzo

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021

Samsung
Huawei
Xiaomi
Oppo
Vivo
Motorola
Realme
Tecno mobile limited
Infinix mobility limited
Amlogic
Sony
Hmd global
Asus
Lenovo
OnePlus
ZTE
Alcatel
Itel
and so on...

What would you do with Huawei though? No Play Store and many of the apps are not in Huawei Gallery. For example my banking app etc.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
What would you do with Huawei though? No Play Store and many of the apps are not in Huawei Gallery. For example my banking app etc.

Even if you took Huawei off that list... there are still 17 companies on that list.

And each company might have 6 to 10 models at any given moment. Surely you can find one phone to meet your needs.

My (silly) point was simply this: LG may be gone... but there will still be PLENTY of Android phones in the world. Like... an absurd amount of companies and phones. I just grabbed a list of the top Android manufacturers worldwide to show just how big the Android market is.

I actually heard that there are 100 companies selling Android phones around the world today. And with LG gone... there's still 99 of them...

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
What a shame, but I am not at all surprised as they definitely lost steam in the last 4 years or so.

I remember wanting a LG V20 and was seriously considering getting it but chose the Galaxy S7 Edge over it and was glad I did, LG always seemed to have strange software and hardware gremlins pop up in their phones.

The LG Wing was an interesting concept but really made no practical sense, I wish they had stuck to the quirky stuff they were doing with the V series like V10 and V20, but LG always seemed to lose their direction just as they were on to something.

Really surprised google didn't make a play for LG or even HTC for that matter. Probably could have gotten some really good stuff for their pixels.

Really hoping it just doesn't come down to Apple or Samsung :(

Google did make a play for HTC, I believe the current Pixel line is built under the HTC hardware business they bought a few years ago.

5e0c80b3d4fac2975b6ae287eaa230ea.png

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

Android on it’s way out? Are you kidding they have over 80% of the worldwide market share. Apple can never win in developing countries because the market there can’t afford iPhones. Android is needed for 80% of the world.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

Samsung
Huawei
Xiaomi
Oppo
Vivo
Motorola
Realme
Tecno mobile limited
Infinix mobility limited
Amlogic
Sony
Hmd global
Asus
Lenovo
OnePlus
ZTE
Alcatel
Itel
and so on...

Let’s be realistic. Out of those, whose phone would you or most consumers would buy or have access to? Probably just Samsung.

Huawei has no GMS, thus not sustainable outside China. The rest are region specific, not available in many markets.

Reactions: Breaking Good

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Let’s be realistic. Out of those, whose phone would you or most consumers would buy or have access to? Probably just Samsung.

Huawei has no GMS, thus not sustainable outside China. The rest are region specific, not available in many markets.

Everyone: "oh noes... LG is gone! That's one less competitor in the market!"

Me: "There are dozens of companies selling Android phones today... probably 100 companies around the world"

That's all I was saying... it was a comment made in jest...

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021

Many people in Europe use Huawei. :)

Cookie18

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
France
As an LG Wing owner, it sucks that LG is out. They were really onto something with the Wing. Its an excellent phone. I guess that's typical LG though. They have been putting out cool and interesting products for years but they never follow through and adequately support them. This is my first LG phone since the G3. The G3 was a truly magnificent phone and with the Wing it really felt like LG were back on that track. It sucks that there's nobody making anything other than boring glass slabs now.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Android on it’s way out? Are you kidding they have over 80% of the worldwide market share. Apple can never win in developing countries because the market there can’t afford iPhones. Android is needed for 80% of the world.
I thought people bought android because it was ‘better’, not because it was cheaper.

Cookie18

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
France
I thought people bought android because it was ‘better’, not because it was cheaper.
I own both so I don't have a dog in the fight but both of those statements can be true. They aren't contradictory like you seem to be claiming.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I own both so I don't have a dog in the fight but both of those statements can be true. They aren't contradictory like you seem to be claiming.
I know, it was rather tongue in cheek, but the amount of times I have been trolled for suggesting android is successful because it’s cheap, it’s nice to be vindicated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.