Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
I've been pretty annoyed that the AppleTV+ app isn't available for 2017 or older LG TV sets. There's no reason why these sets can't run the app. My 55" C7 OLED is capable of displaying Netflix Dolby Vision and has seen updates recently to add both BritBox and Disney+.

I contacted LG directly to ask why 2017 or older sets don't have the AppleTV+ app available for them. This was their response:

I have looked into this for you and there are currently no plans for the Apple TV+ app to be available on the 2017 models. I have raised this as a suggestion on your behalf to the LG Design & Development Team in the form of a Voice of Customer or VOC. All VOCs are reviewed and if there is the demand for this app to be available on 2017 models then this may be made implemented in the future. As this has been raised as a suggestion only you will not receive a direct response or update regarding this.

So come on 2017 or older LG TV owners!! We need to rally and tell LG we want the app on our sets and IT MAY HAPPEN!

I suggest you do the same as me and raise your complaint via this website:

We can make this happen!!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If it makes you feel better, I have both 2018 (C8) and 2019 (B9) LG TVs. Apple TV app runs pretty slowly on these TVs (e.g., takes many more seconds for content to start playing, longer app launch time) and is missing many features that are available on Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K (e.g., 10-second rewind/skip, chapter stops, extras).

When and if Apple updates Apple TV hardware, I strongly recommend buying one instead.

Reactions: bousozoku

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
If it makes you feel better, I have both 2018 (C8) and 2019 (B9) LG TVs. Apple TV app runs pretty slowly on these TVs (e.g., takes many more seconds for content to start playing, longer app launch time) and is missing many features that are available on Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K (e.g., 10-second rewind/skip, chapter stops, extras).

When and if Apple updates Apple TV hardware, I strongly recommend buying one instead.

That's disappointing to hear. All the other streaming apps are very responsive, so this points to poor coding effort by Apple and/or LG.

I understand what you're saying about getting an AppleTV, however as I mentioned in my post, I don't want to do that because every other streaming service is very responsive and works great natively on my LG set. I don't want to buy an ATV (even a revamped version) just to access a small amount of ATV+ content. Never say never, after all there will come a point when the built in apps are no longer maintained and perhaps at that point I'll relent.

I just feel that Apple are missing a trick here.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I understand what you're saying about getting an AppleTV, however as I mentioned in my post, I don't want to do that because every other streaming service is very responsive and works great natively on my LG set.
I wouldn't go as far as very responsive, but apps like Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and Netflix are certainly more responsive than Apple TV app. I have one other TV, 2019 Sony (X950G) that runs Android TV. Apple TV app on Sony runs much more responsive than LG. That is, the UI feels smoother, apps launch more quickly, and content starts playing earlier. webOS is far more pleasant to use than Android TV, however.

So I wouldn't blame Apple solely. LG needs to do some webOS platform optimization.

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
Now that I got my M1 Mac, I also finally got AppleTV+
I tried it on my LG (2018 I think) but as others stated, it's a bit slow.

But also (I'm a german user in germany) I have set everything to german, the first episode I started was dubbed english, when I finally found the settings I changed it to german and subittles off. I start the next episode sound is german (hooray) but subtitles are german for deaf people. I have to turn them off everytime! Is this a known bug, or what is causing this?

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I tried it on a modern Samsung UHD TV. It doesn't even show iTunes-purchased content, it loads slowly, it logs out often, and buffers a lot, or just outright crashes. I just get far better results buying a dumb TV and connecting an ATV4K or ATV to it. Then everything works and I'm out less $$ in the end.

SmartTV OSs are awful. WebOS is not even WebOS anymore with what LG did to it. Even Netflix stops working after awhile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.