Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmoreLovensheimer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2022
Chicago
Hi Folks, I'm stumped. Got an LG Ultrafine 4K 24" at auction for $150, yay, that works fine with my late 2013 MBP using the Apple TB2 to TB3 adapter. But with my Lenovo T470s, running Win 10 Pro Enterprise, which has a USB-C/TB3 port (per its specs) I cannot get the Ultrafine to display anything. The T470s has a Thunderbolt utility that says the Ultrafine is connected, the Win 10 advanced display settings shows it as monitor 2, and sound (chimes) comes through the Ultrafine speakers. I've tried a couple TB3 cables (Apple Pro), a TB4 cable (OWC), and a USB-C (USB3.2 capable) cable, all to no avail. I've updated Win 10, the Lenovo bios, and all the firmware on the T470s. The display driver is dated Nov. 2022, and is the latest Intel version. When I connected an older external monitor via the DVI port on my T470s Ultradock, that external monitor worked.

Any thoughts on how to get the T470s to work with the Ultrafine? The only thing that I've seen that "might" work that I haven't tried is using a Belkin cable made for the Huawei VR Glass that would connect to the Displayport port on my T470s Ultradock and to two USB ports at one end and which has a USB-C connector for the monitor on the other end.

Thanks!

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
It's some weird solution to block TB3 displays. I've used my LG 5K with X1E gen1 and Gen3. Even X1C gen 6 works.
But for some reason, display doesn't work with X1E gen 4 or X1C gen9. Googled it, and it seems Intel + MS introduced some restrictions which prohibit TB3 displays from working. Forgot what exactly it was, but I'm afraid that there is no solution to your problem :(

At least I haven't found any.

AmoreLovensheimer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2022
Chicago
Thank you. That is very strange indeed. Do you have a link to discussion of the "restriction" you mentioned (I couldn't seem to find it)? You did lead me to something new, and that's the issue resulting from a defect that could render my Thunderbolt port wholly or partially inoperative, or at least flaky. See e.g. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Think...t-s-happening-and-how-to-fix-it.451207.0.html.

I installed the supposed remedy software/driver for the above defect, but the problem is that I can't find anything that tells me how I can check to determine whether my T470s TB3 port is fully functional - or not. Thunderbolt does show up in Device Manager if I connect something to the port (if I don't connect anything, it can only be seen by using the View > Hidden items in Device Manager) so maybe that's telling me it's functioning OK. But I still can't get the LG Ultrafine to display anything via the TB3 port.

Anyway, I sprung for a Belkin cable for the Hwawei VR Glass that some have used with the LG Ultrafine, which employs the DisplayPort port on my Ultradock. Again, both the Windows Display Settings and the Intel Graphics utility say the Ultrafine is connected and show all its glorious capabilities (resolutions, sync rate, etc.) in detail, but again nothing displays on the Ultrafine.

Sill Stumped.

AmoreLovensheimer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2022
Chicago
In case anyone cares, I got the LG Ultrafine 4K 23.7" to work with a Lenovo T495 having the AMD Ryzen processor and Vega graphics, running Windows 11 Pro 21H2 (I'm unwilling to try 22H2 in case it screws things up). It works using either a USB-C cable (at least the Insignia 3.2 gen 2 version from Best Buy) or a Thunderbolt 3 cable (at least the 1m Apple Thunderbolt Pro) plugged into the T495 USB-C port (the one not labelled as its USB-C power port for a charger). I tried this combination based on a comment in the Best Buy reviews for the monitor where the T495 was mentioned.

I figured that would bode well for using the Ultrafine with later Lenovos using AMD, which like the Intels would detect the monitor, but I could not get anything to display when connecting it to the AMD versions of the Lenovo T14s Gen 1 or Gen 2, or the X13 Gen 2, which were the only ones I tried them on. Just weird, or maybe just over my head techically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.