Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
I am finally back to trying to make this connection work but without much success, so any advice is appreciated.

I bought a Wacom Link Plus adapter, and I have tried connecting to my Windows PC using this with a Displayport to Minidisplayport cable. The displayport is confirmed working (connected to my old monitor which accepts DVI, HDMI and displayport). At best, I can get an error message to pop up in Windows that the connected USB device is not recognized. There is never any image output, and the LG ultrafine monitor never turns on.

On my windows PC, when I plug in the power (USB C t USB A) cable, I get a "Billboard Device" connected, so it looks like the Wacom adapter is working but is there a way to verify this?

At this point I am tempted to just buy a laptop or mini PC that has USB C video out, and give up on trying to make this 2015 PC work...
Wacom Link Plus works with my 2016 MSI GS72 laptop with mDP 1.2 output at 4K@60 and UltraFine 27MD5KL. The system is Windows 7 =)
I also tried HDMI, but the laptop's display starts blinking and eventually stops trying to show a picture on UltraFine.

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
It's been a while, but I am positive it's a 27MD5KL (it's the model number written on the box). I have the same monitor with the same box at work that shows the same model number. Just to be 120% sure, I just installed SwitchResX and the product ID is 5B74.

I can connect the LG to my MBP, MBA, and iPad Pro (M2) via USB C cable or thunderbolt cable. Not sure how I'd manage to connect it using the Wacom Link Plus? All the devices are USB C/Thunderbolt output, so my only option would be to go with the Apple adapter that goes to HDMI, and then connect HDMI to Wacom Link Plus, but all the posts at the beginning of this thread mention how HDMI doesn't work.

I suspect the Billboard Device might not be initializing properly, or may need a driver, but I will need to check again when I hook up the computer. My desk space is limited (hence the desperate desire to hook up the old PC with all my old files to the LG monitor), so there's quite a bit of inertia to trying this out, hence the 6 month delay between initial attempt and now.
Make sure you didn't mix up USB connections of Wacom Link Plus. USB-C power input should be properly powered, it's better to use an external USB-C power supply.

27MD5KL works with Wacom Link Plus with any PC or Mac I tested.

Nicsmindset

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2023
Australia
I’m low-key losing my mind while trying to make this monitor work with my PC

I have purchased the LG 27" Monitor (27MD5KL-B)
Which works fine on my macbook pro via the supplied Thunderbolt3 cable..
I was advised when purchasing it, that it would also work on Windows PC.
Hi guys,
I have purchased an LG 27" Monitor (27MD5KL-B)

BUT!

My Windows PC has a NVIDIA GeForce 3060 Ti, with 3x DisplayPort (1.4) outputs on it.
I purchased an 8k DisplayPort > USB-C Cable to try and use the monitor, however the monitor doesn't turn on or work at all when plugged in using this cable.

Is there a saviour out there that could please advise exactly what I need to purchase to get it working?

Thank you!!

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008

Hi guys,

BUT!

My Windows PC has a NVIDIA GeForce 3060 Ti, with 3x DisplayPort (1.4) outputs on it.
I purchased an 8k DisplayPort > USB-C Cable to try and use the monitor, however the monitor doesn't turn on or work at all when plugged in using this cable.

Is there a saviour out there that could please advise exactly what I need to purchase to get it working?

Thank you!!
Are you sure that your cable is bi-directional? Usually they are single-direction and usually it means from usb-c on video card to dp of a display.

Moshi USB Type-C to DisplayPort Cable is known as bi-directional, for example.

Vaenoxis

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020
Hi guys, I have a lenovo tower with a nvidia GTX 1650 with an hdmi and a display port connexion.

I tried connecting my ultrafine 4K 24MD4L to the DisplayPort using the bi directional cable from Amazon.

it worked but the screen is nearly black, like if there is no brightness at all. Need to struggle to find where my cursor is.

Do you guys think I need a software to manually adjust the brightness of the ultrafine, or that I should try the same experience with the moshi cable or the Delock63928 adaptator ?

Windows seems to recognize perfectly the screen but i don’t have any backlight, it’s like i’m running the screen with 0.5% luminosity.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
Could be a problem as I think you need some usb input to adjust the brightness. I use a program called lgultrafine brightness through the Microsoft store.

Vaenoxis

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020
Thank you, unfortunately your app didn’t work. I manage to finally get the brightness ! Using the app clickmonitor DDC linked in the first post of that thread.

Also just to mention, I linked the windows to the ultrafine via DP using the thunderbolt port under the ultrafine. The USB-C ones didn’t worked.

I got the latest model of ultrafine.

Glad I got the setup working :)

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Thank you, unfortunately your app didn’t work. I manage to finally get the brightness ! Using the app clickmonitor DDC linked in the first post of that thread.

Also just to mention, I linked the windows to the ultrafine via DP using the thunderbolt port under the ultrafine. The USB-C ones didn’t worked.
Of course USB-C ones wouldn't work, because they are outputs, not inputs. The only port for input is the one marked with lightning. It works in both TB and USC-C DP Alt Mode on LG 5K 2-gen.

striatedglutes

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Why isn't the delock #63928 adapter ("DisplayPort host to USB Type-C Monitor") working for me? If I could get either one of the "broken" listings below to work, I'd be happy.

I have a Lenovo m75q gen 2 tiny PC that I want to connect to the LG 24" Ultrafine 4k 24MD4KL. The Lenovo actually has two DisplayPort outputs, but both behave the same way.

I have another LG 27" 4k display 27UK850 with HDMI, DP, and USB-C inputs (NOT thunderbolt) to test with. I also have a 2020 MacBook Pro M1 to test with. The Lenovo works fine with normal DP to the 27UK850. The MBP works fine using USB-C to both monitors and Thunderbolt to the 24MD4KL.

Broken:
  • Either Lenovo DisplayPort output to DP cable that came with LG 27" to delock adapter 63928 to 24MD4KL
  • CableCreation bi-directional DP-to-USB-C: DisplayPort (PC) to 24MD4KLUSB-C (thunderbolt port)
    • NB: someone in the reviews said "If plugged into a NVIDIA 30 series GPU and LG 24MD4KL Ultrafine monitor, computer refuses to boot.... Based on my research this is due to a faulty power connection in the cable - pin 20 is powered on the GPU end when it should not." -- no idea if this matters for my use case or not
Sort of broken:
  • CableCreation DisplayPort (PC) to 27UK850 USB-C. It didn't work numerous, numerous times. But while testing again one last time before writing this post I simply left it plugged in. The 27UK850 said "no signal" like always and turned off, but about 60-120 seconds later the display popped on unexpectedly without me doing anything else or sending keystrokes.
  • This one stumps me. Once it's connected, shutting down the PC and starting it back up has it instantly connect to the 27UK850. Switching DP outputs on the m75q works instantly as well. I have previously left the PC plugged in to the 24MD4KL with this cable while trying to send keystrokes / mouse movement from the PC for seemingly at least that long, but no dice.
Working:
  • Either Lenovo DisplayPort outputs to 27UK850 DisplayPort input
  • MBP to 24MD4KL via thunderbolt or USB-C cables
  • MBP to 27UK850 via USB-C cable
There is a USB-C expansion card (5C50W31953) for this gem of a PC that supports DP alt-mode but is listed as "no longer available" on official Lenovo spare parts supplier and out of stock on eBay.

One thing that amused me today is the fact that after 10-15 attempts of inserting the DP cable (the one that's super quality bidirectional) into either the PC end or the monitor end, actually worked!

Guys, do you also connect/re-connect your bidirectional cable like a hundred times each time you restart your PC?

MrMargu

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2023
@joevt I would love to learn more about your experience with the CAC-1336. I saw your impressions in another forum and the limited use case you described is exactly mine. I would like to pass hdmi and USB 2.0 connection from an old MacBook to my 24MD4KL @ 1440p 60hz. I’m hoping to get the audio working by connecting the USB-A so the MacBook recognizes the LG as a USB audio device.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
@joevt I would love to learn more about your experience with the CAC-1336. I saw your impressions in another forum and the limited use case you described is exactly mine. I would like to pass hdmi and USB 2.0 connection from an old MacBook to my 24MD4KL @ 1440p 60hz. I’m hoping to get the audio working by connecting the USB-A so the MacBook recognizes the LG as a USB audio device.
That should work but you never know with Thunderbolt displays that also support USB-C (too many reports of displays remaining black or not waking or whatever). I don't have a Thunderbolt or USB-C display. I could only connect DisplayPort to the CAC-1336 by connecting a Thunderbolt 4 hub between the CAC-1336 and the USB-C to DisplayPort cable or adapter. I was able to use USB-A devices connected to the hub through one of the other Thunderbolt 4 ports.
https://insights.club-3d.com/thread/cac-1336-operation/
I did also get a CAC-1335 but haven't tested it yet.

MrMargu

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2023
That should work but you never know with Thunderbolt displays that also support USB-C (too many reports of displays remaining black or not waking or whatever). I don't have a Thunderbolt or USB-C display. I could only connect DisplayPort to the CAC-1336 by connecting a Thunderbolt 4 hub between the CAC-1336 and the USB-C to DisplayPort cable or adapter. I was able to use USB-A devices connected to the hub through one of the other Thunderbolt 4 ports.
https://insights.club-3d.com/thread/cac-1336-operation/
I did also get a CAC-1335 but haven't tested it yet.
Thank you, I also read the same reports. Looks like a safer option is to go display port to usb-c and give up hope of getting usb 2.0 - the Belkin cable is too pricey for my temporary needs.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Thank you, I also read the same reports. Looks like a safer option is to go display port to usb-c and give up hope of getting usb 2.0 - the Belkin cable is too pricey for my temporary needs.
There are alternatives to the Belkin Charge and Sync cable which can still provide USB and at least HBR2 link rate (which is all that is needed for Apple 5K and 6K displays with DSC is support)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/alternative-to-the-belkin-vr-cable.2378619/

Reactions: MrMargu

MrMargu

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2023
Thank you for the suggestion! I had no idea such alternatives existed. Just ordered the cable and hopefully it works!

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015

Hi guys,

BUT!

Thank you!!
As stated in this post:- https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...indows-computers-via-dp.2227756/post-31727252

You will need an add-in thunderbolt card, connect two DP cables from the Nvidia into this card and then the TB3 output from this into the monitor. I ran like that for a fair few months on my gaming VM and it worked fine. Look on eBay for a gigabyte alpine ridge thunderbolt add-in card or similar.

It doesn't need a gigabyte motherboard or anything as the add-in card is only really using the PCI slot for power.

IK916

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2023
Greetings all. Much appreciation to this community. Amazing to see a discussion thread like this going for so long.

Has anyone successfully connected the LG UltraFine 4K (24MD4KL) to a Steam Deck? Does the setup in DeanL's original post work? I just got the Steam Deck, and have been scouring this discussion looking for confirmation.

I have the LG UltraFine 4K (24MD4KL) mainly for use with my Mac, works beautifully of course. Was disappointed to discover the Steam Deck doesn't work with simple direct connection.

Last edited:

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
My steam deck works with a simple connection. Was using the USB C cable that came with the monitor and that was finicky. I bought a USB 4 cable that does full video performance from micro center and the steam deck works quite well with that cable. I don’t use it anymore though as i just bit the bullet and built a custom PC with the 5800X3d and used a motherboard with thunderbolt passthrough. Now i have a great 4k screen with a 4k gaming machine. Works really well for the strategy games i play.

Reactions: IK916

MrMargu

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2023
Thanks to those that replied for their help.

The LG 24MD4KL has been packed up and returned, nothing but problems connecting via usb-c and Thunderbolt to my MBP M1… flickers, shuts off waste of time. Also the bezel was warped, others on Reddit mentioned their purchased in the last year also have warped bezels to the right side of the LG logo - affects other LG monitors too. Notwithstanding countless reported motherboard failures and ports breaking off. Let me say as glorious as it looks when it’s working - it’s not worth it - stay away.

IK916

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2023
My steam deck works with a simple connection. Was using the USB C cable that came with the monitor and that was finicky. I bought a USB 4 cable that does full video performance from micro center and the steam deck works quite well with that cable. I don’t use it anymore though as i just bit the bullet and built a custom PC with the 5800X3d and used a motherboard with thunderbolt passthrough. Now i have a great 4k screen with a 4k gaming machine. Works really well for the strategy games i play.
Wow, could you please link or provide brand/model # to the specific USB 4 cable that you used? And to confirm, your monitor is LG UltraFine 4K 24MD4KL? There's no Micro Center in California where I live, so I'm hoping to find a cable I can order on Amazon, if indeed it's just a matter of having the right cable.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
Wow, could you please link or provide brand/model # to the specific USB 4 cable that you used? And to confirm, your monitor is LG UltraFine 4K 24MD4KL? There's no Micro Center in California where I live, so I'm hoping to find a cable I can order on Amazon, if indeed it's just a matter of having the right cable.

This cable https://www.microcenter.com/product/658577/inland-usb-type-c-male-to-usb-type-c-male-(black)-33ft

Ughhhh you cost me about 20 min here. As I plugged it in but the steam deck refuses to output when there is a pending update. So I had to update the stupid thing. But yes here it is. Plug and play. And just replugged in my desktop and works just like that.

Attachments

• 19CFEA9B-80F5-45AE-BA0C-5394B521CD3E.jpeg
    19CFEA9B-80F5-45AE-BA0C-5394B521CD3E.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 88

striatedglutes

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2009
USA
I can confirm that this moshi cable worked first try going from the Lenovo DisplayPort to the 24MD4KL Thunderbolt 3 port. Go figure. I guess it has something to do with this in the cable's description: "NOTE: For bi-directional support, please ensure your monitors accept a DisplayPort signal over USB-C (UFP_D pin assignment E)."

Maybe other cables don't have UFP_D pin assignment E, even bi-directional ones? Or the CableCreation note that I had in my original post was indeed causing problems?

Why isn't the delock #63928 adapter ("DisplayPort host to USB Type-C Monitor") working for me? If I could get either one of the "broken" listings below to work, I'd be happy.

I have a Lenovo m75q gen 2 tiny PC that I want to connect to the LG 24" Ultrafine 4k 24MD4KL. The Lenovo actually has two DisplayPort outputs, but both behave the same way.

I have another LG 27" 4k display 27UK850 with HDMI, DP, and USB-C inputs (NOT thunderbolt) to test with. I also have a 2020 MacBook Pro M1 to test with. The Lenovo works fine with normal DP to the 27UK850. The MBP works fine using USB-C to both monitors and Thunderbolt to the 24MD4KL.

Broken:
  • Either Lenovo DisplayPort output to DP cable that came with LG 27" to delock adapter 63928 to 24MD4KL
  • CableCreation bi-directional DP-to-USB-C: DisplayPort (PC) to 24MD4KLUSB-C (thunderbolt port)
    • NB: someone in the reviews said "If plugged into a NVIDIA 30 series GPU and LG 24MD4KL Ultrafine monitor, computer refuses to boot.... Based on my research this is due to a faulty power connection in the cable - pin 20 is powered on the GPU end when it should not." -- no idea if this matters for my use case or not
Sort of broken:
  • CableCreation DisplayPort (PC) to 27UK850 USB-C. It didn't work numerous, numerous times. But while testing again one last time before writing this post I simply left it plugged in. The 27UK850 said "no signal" like always and turned off, but about 60-120 seconds later the display popped on unexpectedly without me doing anything else or sending keystrokes.
  • This one stumps me. Once it's connected, shutting down the PC and starting it back up has it instantly connect to the 27UK850. Switching DP outputs on the m75q works instantly as well. I have previously left the PC plugged in to the 24MD4KL with this cable while trying to send keystrokes / mouse movement from the PC for seemingly at least that long, but no dice.
Working:
  • Either Lenovo DisplayPort outputs to 27UK850 DisplayPort input
  • MBP to 24MD4KL via thunderbolt or USB-C cables
  • MBP to 27UK850 via USB-C cable
There is a USB-C expansion card (5C50W31953) for this gem of a PC that supports DP alt-mode but is listed as "no longer available" on official Lenovo spare parts supplier and out of stock on eBay.

IK916

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2023
This cable https://www.microcenter.com/product/658577/inland-usb-type-c-male-to-usb-type-c-male-(black)-33ft

Ughhhh you cost me about 20 min here. As I plugged it in but the steam deck refuses to output when there is a pending update. So I had to update the stupid thing. But yes here it is. Plug and play. And just replugged in my desktop and works just like that.
THANK YOU for taking the extra time. You have likely saved me a lot more than 20 minutes, and are enabling both me and my teenager to be able to enjoy the Steam Deck. Also good to know that a pending update can get in the way.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
THANK YOU for taking the extra time. You have likely saved me a lot more than 20 minutes, and are enabling both me and my teenager to be able to enjoy the Steam Deck. Also good to know that a pending update can get in the way.
Yea it wasn’t a big deal was joking. Thing is steam deck if needing to be updated won’t output to the Lg. Not sure about other monitors. Anyways enjoy.

Vertigo10

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2023
Hey, Im having some problems with the connection between the LG ultra fine 5k and my PC
I have the GTX 1070 8gb GPU and I've tried to connect it with both the cable that came with the monitor and the cable that came with the Link but I keep getting black screen flickering, which gets worst on GPU intensive Apps / Games , I've tried to switch up between different GPU's I have and nothing helps, the screen is working fine and all of a sudden it starts flickering to a black screen.
Any suggestions on what is causing it and how to fix it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.