Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndiX90

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2020
OOOOOOH MY GOD...... It's soo beautiful! ?
Thank you so much for your quick reply.
I didn't think of changing the USB-C-Cable. Now i use the one, that came with the wacom and it's working fine!
BUT(!) it still does not work with the Rankie DP-mDP cable, but with one, that i found, which once came with a DELL Docking station (maybe DPv1.2?).
To your questions: See attached images. I didn't have access to any sort of settings like resolution or refresh rates. Maybe it helps others too.

Thanks again! Have a nice week.

Attachments

• NVIDIA.PNG
    NVIDIA.PNG
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,665
  • windows.PNG
    windows.PNG
    500.8 KB · Views: 1,315
  • Love
Reactions: DeanL

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Hi, i tried to connect my Computer to the LG Ultrafine 4k like this:
Asus GTX 1060 (with DP 1.4) -> DisplayPort to mini DP cable (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00YOQYQWY/) -> wacom link plus -> thunderbolt 3 cable (that came with the Monitor) -> LG Ultrafine 4k
I can see that windows recognizes the monitor as "LG UltraFine", but somehow, i cannot activate it. (Sound works)
Neither in windows settings, nor in NVIDIA Control Panel. Both with and without micro USB-cable connected.
I have just ordered this DP<->miniDP cable: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07JWJKFFR/ (says it supports DP1.2)
Hopefully it'll work then, otherwise i might need further help from you.
Thanks for introducing the wacom anyway!
You said Thunderbolt 3 cable. That means you have the new LG UltraFine 4K 24 inch display (3840x2160) which comes with two cables - one for Thunderbolt and one for USB-C. Use the USB-C cable with the Wacom Link Plus.

AndiX90

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2020
You said Thunderbolt 3 cable. That means you have the new LG UltraFine 4K 24 inch display (3840x2160) which comes with two cables - one for Thunderbolt and one for USB-C. Use the USB-C cable with the Wacom Link Plus.
You are right. I should have read the text in the initial picture more carefully. It also says USB-C cable.
At least we are confirming, what does work, and what doesn’t ;)

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Well Windows users with a modern PCIe board on their motherboard then they can use something like the Gigabyte Alpine Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Card to get on their motherboard!
I can use GC-ALPINE RIDGE and GC-TITAN RIDGE connected to my old Mac Pro 2008 with full USB + DisplayPort functionality.

Here's a list of all the known methods of adding USB-C to a computer:

Reactions: Amethyst1

apeuml

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
Hello ,

I bought the : Delock DisplayPort Adapter for a USB Type-C™ monitor 4K 60 Hz

i tried with 2 PC (Windows 10) , one with DisplayPort and another one with Mini-DisplayPort (both DisplayPort 1.2 ).

And it is not working .

As some one told in this thread, maybe the monitor is expecting a usb signal ?
Or , i am missing a windows configuration ?

i tested a PC with a usb-c display output and it is working .

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Hello ,

I bought the : Delock DisplayPort Adapter for a USB Type-C™ monitor 4K 60 Hz

i tried with 2 PC (Windows 10) , one with DisplayPort and another one with Mini-DisplayPort (both DisplayPort 1.2 ).

And it is not working .

As some one told in this thread, maybe the monitor is expecting a usb signal ?
Or , i am missing a windows configuration ?

i tested a PC with a usb-c display output and it is working .
Your post lacks specifics.

You bought the Delock 63928?
You're trying it with the 21.5 inch LG UltraFine 4K display (4096x2304)?

The Delock doesn't include USB and the LG 21.5 inch requires USB.

One person said an ALOGIC USB-C to DisplayPort cable works even though it doesn't have USB but this has not been confirmed by someone else.

apeuml

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
You bought the Delock 63928?

Yes , there is no other references for Delock DisplayPort Adapter for a USB Type-C™ monitor 4K 60 Hz

You're trying it with the 21.5 inch LG UltraFine 4K display (4096x2304)?

i'am using the LG UltraFine 4K HMUA2ZM/A 23.7 inch

Maybe there is way to add the usb signal with an other device to the Usbc.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
i'am using the LG UltraFine 4K HMUA2ZM/A 23.7 inch
I think that is a model that supports Thunderbolt and USB-C and should work with a USB-C to DisplayPort bidirectional cable like the one sold by Moshi (without USB) so it's strange that it doesn't work with the Delock 63928 which is described to serve this purpose (DisplayPort out to USB-C display) except the Delock 63928 is not bidirectional (like the Moshi) and doesn't include USB (like the Sunix UPD2018 and Delock 89582 PCIe cards which also use a Cypress chipset but maybe not the same as the Cypress chipset used in the Delock 63928).

apeuml

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
Amazon is doing Bi-Directional cable :
AmazonBasics Bi-Directional USB-C to DisplayPort Cable

the images shows a Pc connected to a Mac display
but it is not available yet .

apeuml

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
85813 - Delock Câble bidirectionnel USB Type-C™ à DisplayPort (Mode DP Alt) 8K 60 Hz, 1,5 m DP 8K
this one seems to have better configuration then Moshi and costs less

The chip is Fresco Logic FL7102

is there some who tested successfully with bidirectionnel cables like Moshi ?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
85813 - Delock Câble bidirectionnel USB Type-C™ à DisplayPort (Mode DP Alt) 8K 60 Hz, 1,5 m DP 8K
this one seems to have better configuration then Moshi and costs less

The chip is Fresco Logic FL7102

is there some who tested successfully with bidirectionnel cables like Moshi ?
I believe the Moshi has been tested successfully many times with the 24 inch LG UltraFine 4K. I don't know what chips it uses. The FL7102 info for the Delock 85813 is interesting.

I would prefer one of the solutions that include USB so that you can use the USB features of the display (audio, brightness control, etc).

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
I would prefer one of the solutions that include USB so that you can use the USB features of the display (audio, brightness control, etc).

As noted on my original post, brightness control does not use USB.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
As noted on my original post, brightness control does not use USB.
Right, you are using Windows and in that case using DDC over DP might be the best way/only way to get brightness control (unless there's an Apple Boot Camp driver or LG Windows driver for brightness control over USB of LG UltraFine 4K displays?). You are still missing camera, audio, and USB ports.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
(unless there's an Apple Boot Camp driver or LG Windows driver for brightness control over USB of LG UltraFine 4K displays?).
I don't see why LG would have DDC and USB controls. The BootCamp drivers simply install a tool so the display can be controlled over DDC.
I do believe the brightness sensor uses USB though.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I don't see why LG would have DDC and USB controls. The BootCamp drivers simply install a tool so the display can be controlled over DDC.
I do believe the brightness sensor uses USB though.
Are you sure the Boot Camp drivers work without a USB connection?
The LG UltraFine displays also use USB instead of DisplayPort for audio.

Steve Kit

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2020
hi folks,

A bit of a jam and need some advice. Managed to get my hands on the Wacom Link Plus and connected as suggested but no luck with getting the display working.

1. https://store.wacom.sg/en/various/accessories/wacom-link-plus
2. GPU Zotac RTX2060 Super mini.
3. MOBO : ASRock Steel Legend B450M
4. DP cable: https://shopee.sg/product/92003735/1874128241
5. LG 27MD5KA 5k Ultrafine

Connection : LG ultrafine 5k > Wacom link plus > mini DP to DP > GPU - not a blink on the monitor ...

Am i doing it right ? thanks upfront.

Cheers,
Steve

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Are you sure the Boot Camp drivers work without a USB connection?
The LG UltraFine displays also use USB instead of DisplayPort for audio.

That's not what I said. I said display controls (brightness, contrast etc.) work over DDC, which is a protocol carried by the DisplayPort connection, not the USB connection.
Other features like the brightness sensor and audio are indeed USB, but not the display controls.
[automerge]1591468875[/automerge]
hi folks,

A bit of a jam and need some advice. Managed to get my hands on the Wacom Link Plus and connected as suggested but no luck with getting the display working.

Connection : LG ultrafine 5k > Wacom link plus > mini DP to DP > GPU - not a blink on the monitor ...

Cheers,
Steve

What cable are you using to plug the Wacom to the LG UltraFine? Thunderbolt or USB-C? Only the USB-C cable will work.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
hi folks,

27MD5KA is the old LG UltraFine 5K which only works with Thunderbolt.
27MD5KL is the current LG UltraFine 5K display sold by Apple which works with Thunderbolt (5K) and USB-C (4K).
You'll need a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card if you want to use the 27MD5KA. The add-in card should have two DisplayPort inputs to support 5K.
Your motherboard doesn't support Thunderbolt 3 add-in cards, so it will require some extra work to support an add-in card but maybe you can get at least display output if not all the other features (USB, camera, etc.).

That's not what I said. I said display controls (brightness, contrast etc.) work over DDC, which is a protocol carried by the DisplayPort connection, not the USB connection.
Other features like the brightness sensor and audio are indeed USB, but not the display controls.
Yes, it can be controlled by DDC. My question was, does Apple's Boot Camp driver use DDC or USB to control the brightness? Or are you using some other UI to change the brightness?

Steve Kit

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2020
27MD5KA is the old LG UltraFine 5K which only works with Thunderbolt.
27MD5KL is the current LG UltraFine 5K display sold by Apple which works with Thunderbolt (5K) and USB-C (4K).
You'll need a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card if you want to use the 27MD5KA. The add-in card should have two DisplayPort inputs to support 5K.
Your motherboard doesn't support Thunderbolt 3 add-in cards, so it will require some extra work to support an add-in card but maybe you can get at least display output if not all the other features (USB, camera, etc.).

Yes, it can be controlled by DDC. My question was, does Apple's Boot Camp driver use DDC or USB to control the brightness? Or are you using some other UI to change the brightness?
@joevt , appreciate the insights and been great help. i may end up getting another monitor since the current LG monitor is on loan and seems to be too much work to get it going. hope everyone is having a better luck than i am. Cheers
[automerge]1591533268[/automerge]
[automerge]1591468875[/automerge]

What cable are you using to plug the Wacom to the LG UltraFine? Thunderbolt or USB-C? Only the USB-C cable will work.
@DeanLubaki , thanks mate. dont think my LG model would hearing from others. Shall get another monitor since this LG is a loaner :). Cheers!

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
My answer was and still is no, because the protocol used is DDC (which is over DisplayPort) and not USB.
Changing the brightness is done in the display settings in Windows.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
My answer was and still is no, because the protocol used is DDC (which is over DisplayPort) and not USB.
Changing the brightness is done in the display settings in Windows.
I would like to learn more about this.

A few questions:
1) You are using the LG display with Wacom Link Plus and Lenovo T460s?
2) You are not using Boot Camp driver because you are using a PC laptop?
3) Does brightness control work without micro USB connection?
4) You say brightness control is done in the display settings in Windows. Can you show a screen shot of that? Also, does this mean you are not using ClickMonitorDDC?
5) In your original post, you said there was a Brightness Control in Device Manager. Was that as a USB device? Can you show a screen shot of that? View by connection instead of type so we can see the hierarchy.

Boot Camp drivers does have a seperate brightness control for LG UltraFine 4K display according to this:
It refers to the new 24" but I imagine the older 21.5" is similar.

Maybe the Boot Camp version of brightness control uses USB, and Windows Display Settings version of brightness control uses DDC.

I think the Boot Camp driver may also enable the brightness function keys of a Mac keyboard? You might need to hold the control key to control the brightness of the external LG UltraFine 4K display.

apeuml

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
thanks DeanLubaki!

So i have the LG UltraFine 4K HMUA2ZM/A 23.7 inch.

Delock DisplayPort Adapter for a USB Type-C™ monitor 4K 60 Hz 63928 : KO

USB Type C Cable to DP 1.4 8K60Hz M/M 1.8m/5.9ft Bidirectional CAC-1557 : KO (but Windows detects as a screen)

Wacom Link Plus : works perfectly

Wacom Link Plus is actually very small and all the cables are included so worth it.

Last edited:

Mx4XutJx

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2020
Has anyone been able to get the Delock 63928 DP to USB-C adapter working with any UltraFine model?

I recently bought one for a 27MD5KL (newer UltraFine 5K model, with USB-C support) and it doesn't appear to work at all - neither macOS nor Windows detect the display. I've tried several DP and mDP to DP cables, but no luck...

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Has anyone been able to get the Delock 63928 DP to USB-C adapter working with any UltraFine model?

I recently bought one for a 27MD5KL (newer UltraFine 5K model, with USB-C support) and it doesn't appear to work at all - neither macOS nor Windows detect the display. I've tried several DP and mDP to DP cables, but no luck...
apeuml #58 said it didn't work for him either with the newer UltraFine 4K model, also with Thunderbolt and USB-C support. Maybe the Delock 63928 doesn't work with any Titan Ridge based displays? I guess it needs testing to be sure it works with any display at this point...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.