Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pullapooh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
I have searched all over the web but no one mentions what the monitors color range is. Apple says P3 but how much is it compared to Adobe Rgb?

I'm buying a new monitor and the only important things for me are 4-5k resolution and really good color range.

I have also been looking at the Dell 5k monitor.

But yeah does anyone know the LG's Ultrafine 5k monitors color range in Adobe rgb?

If you have better monitor suggestions I'll be happy to hear them.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Adobe RGB was defined a long time ago, but there's nothing that great about it. It was just there, so people decided to compare against it. It tells you about saturation limits, but it doesn't tell you how closely a particular color will approximate the target or about the uniformity of the display or anything else that truly matters. I mean to say that gamut is a secondary concern. It's not worth much if other things are not satisfied.

Reactions: pullapooh

CenerianStin

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2009
Adobe RGB was defined a long time ago, but there's nothing that great about it. It was just there, so people decided to compare against it. It tells you about saturation limits, but it doesn't tell you how closely a particular color will approximate the target or about the uniformity of the display or anything else that truly matters. I mean to say that gamut is a secondary concern. It's not worth much if other things are not satisfied.
Be that as it may, Adobe RGB is one of the color spaces you work in in Photoshop, and one of the colorspaces that monitor calibrators compare the final results of the final calibration.
I am very interested in this monitor, but before making the purchase I need this information also.

Best case would be if it met ProPhoto RGB.
Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 3.48.29 PM.png

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Be that as it may, Adobe RGB is one of the color spaces you work in in Photoshop, and one of the colorspaces that monitor calibrators compare the final results of the final calibration.
I am very interested in this monitor, but before making the purchase I need this information also.

Best case would be if it met ProPhoto RGB.

The underlying problem that most people care about is how well they can validate their display against an output target other than their display, and it's not strongly correlated with published specs like this most of the time. You can in fact have a display which provides a more than sufficient gamut, with very poor accuracy. Here I'm defining accuracy in terms of measurable values when compared to the intended reference, which falls in or near the published gamut.

I believe you also have the wrong idea about ProPhoto RGB. I have yet to see a single good argument in favor of its standardized use. It's not particularly well behaved, and making adjustments in that space tends to be highly unintuitive. I think trying to match that would be a step in the wrong direction and a good sign that the marketing goons have taken control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.