Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

josiahla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2023
Hi!

I just got my hands on a used LG Ultrafine 27" 5K (Version A). It has some issues with my work MacBook (Intel) and different issues with my personal MacBook (M1 Pro).

On Intel: Display connects, charges MacBook and lights up, but suddenly turns off the panel every +- 10 seconds, stays black for 1-2 seconds and turns on again. Charging, speakers and webcam continue working.
On M1 Pro: MacBook asks for me to allow the connection of a Thunderbolt accessory (monitor), the popup disappears and shows up again after a few seconds. This doesn't stop until I allow/reject it. Although the MacBook charges, the monitor doesn't light up.

I read that Version A has some shielding issues and can disconnect when placed too close to a WAP for example. I tried the monitor in multiple places around the house, still same issues.

I also tried multiple Thunderbolt cables:
- LG TB3 cable that came with the monitor
- Apple TB3 cable
- Caldigit TB3 cable
-> Same results with every cable.

Does anyone know what this could be caused by? Faulty Thunderbolt port on the monitor? I know this is a common issue for Ultrafine monitors.

Thanks in advance,
Josiah

josiahla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2023
Is the monitor new? Also try swapping the TB cable ends.
Nope, it's used. I tried swapping cable ends yesterday, no luck sadly. Weirdly enough, the monitor worked fine with the Intel MacBook all day, still no luck with the M1 MacBook tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.