Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Annemarie44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2022
Hi, new to migrating from an older Mac w ElCap to new-ish one with Catalina. Trying to get my mail imported without losing it's organization, however, I cannot find the preference file that I need to cpoy? Library is visible, I've searched in users, etc, also in Go To Folder, it says can't find it.. I'm working from an external disk at the moment, with a full copy of my old mac. Works fine so far, also on a macbook I used earlier, no problems with Mail. Logic tells me the file must be somewhere? Any help greatle appreciated, trying to avoid rebuilding my whole Mail, as I've plenty sub-folders, and previously imported mails, would seriously hate to see it all in a big heap...!

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
i'm on Monterey, and for me that specific plist's full path is
~/library/containers/com.apple.mail/data/library/preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

though there are other mail related containers inside ~/library/containers/ as well

Annemarie44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2022
thanks all for the replies! From what I gathered on several migration topics, thepreferences aren't transferred when you copy just the mail path. I've found the preferences/...plist on another backup, in exactly the right place, so bugs me why it's not where it should be, or at all to be found on the disc I'm using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.