Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I recently discovered the "System Haptics" switch under "Sound and Haptics"

It really enhances the experience of using the phone. Setting alarms is additive ;o)

However, this set me thinking as to the effect it has on the vibration motor. Doubtless, Apple have engineered it keeping heavy use in mind. I even read something about how the iPhone vibration motors are not the common design found in mobile phones.

But, if I were to keep the system haptics feature on all the time, how adversely will this effect the vibration motor? Any guesses?

Thanks!

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

It really enhances the experience of using the phone. Setting alarms is additive ;o)

However, this set me thinking as to the effect it has on the vibration motor. Doubtless, Apple have engineered it keeping heavy use in mind. I even read something about how the iPhone vibration motors are not the common design found in mobile phones.

But, if I were to keep the system haptics feature on all the time, how adversely will this effect the vibration motor? Any guesses?

Thanks!
My 6S is 5 years old and has had the vibration motor active the entire time with no issues. My X is 2 and a half years use with no issues either

Reactions: AMSOS

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Its a brushless linear motor. Never heard of one failing in years reading this forum...

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Even if it did fail- (and they never do that I've heard of) so what. I have mine turned off permanently. Just another annoyance.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I've honestly never heard of one failing... That's saying a lot considering how many iPhones are out there.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004

Thanks!
I don’t ever recall reading vibrator motor failure on iPhones.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Its a brushless linear motor. Never heard of one failing in years reading this forum...
Interesting. Can you talk more about this? From what little I know vibration motors actually shake some kind of crystal inside them to produce the pulses.
Why did Apple go for this new design? Does this also mean it has a longer lifespan?
Curious...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
From what little I know vibration motors actually shake some kind of crystal inside them to produce the pulses.

Correction. It’s not a vibration motor. It’s Taptic Engine (It was introduced in the 6s). Vibration motor uses a ‘coin-style’ mechanism to produce the vibration, whereas a taptic engine uses an ‘oscillating mechanism‘ to produce a a linear movement for a more nuanced/balanced vibration.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Interesting. Can you talk more about this? From what little I know vibration motors actually shake some kind of crystal inside them to produce the pulses.
Why did Apple go for this new design? Does this also mean it has a longer lifespan?
Curious...
Forget about the lifespan. Its irrelevant as the other components like battery die before.

a simple vibration motor is just an eccentric mass attached to the rotating shaft. no crystal needed. Like unbalanced car wheels;)

the linear motor aka taptic engine was introduced to get the klick feeling as the glas moves sideways under you finger first for 3D touch and Later for the virtual home button. Its also used in the Macbook mouse pads.

here the mass just moves fast from left to right and so the phone vibrates. So yes it’s an vibration motor.

Last edited:

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Correction. It’s not a vibration motor. It’s Taptic Engine (It was introduced in the 6s). Vibration motor uses a ‘coin-style’ mechanism to produce the vibration, whereas a taptic engine uses an ‘oscillating mechanism‘ to produce a a linear movement for a more nuanced/balanced vibration.
Oh, I see. Thanks for pointing that out. Does all this all enhance the longevity in any way?

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
You guys gotta come closer to the tradition of apple exceeding expectations and giving out great reliable products.

They have such products that have been known to have less failure as the quality of what is to be expected.

I would say to come as getting an Apple care warranty for your devices but that is as much as you would need to expect (rarely) from an Apple product.

“THAT MEANS YES YOU CAN USE YOUR VIBRATION FEEDBACK AND HAVE NO WORRIES”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.