Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Just noticed my display developed horrible light leakage on the right side of the screen. It is so bad that the display looks brown when it should be black. Anyone else have this happen over time. It was fine when it was new and hasn't been dropped. I made a genius appointment for tomorrow.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Just noticed my display developed horrible light leakage on the right side of the screen. It is so bad that the display looks brown when it should be black. Anyone else have this happen over time. It was fine when it was new and hasn't been dropped. I made a genius appointment for tomorrow.

You couldn't wait till after the genius appointment to make this thread? They'll replace your iPad, backlight bleeding is a common defect of LCD monitors. Nothing can be done about it except replacing with another monitor.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
A while back someone insisted that ALL iPads had this issue, and simply refused to believe anyone who said otherwise. But he was wrong. Mine, and many others, are perfect. I do not doubt that some people have this problem, so if you go exchange it, you might get one that is properly made.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
You couldn't wait till after the genius appointment to make this thread? They'll replace your iPad, backlight bleeding is a common defect of LCD monitors. Nothing can be done about it except replacing with another monitor.

What is the difference everyone knows they will replace it. Apple always does. The point is the display was fine other than being brighter on the left than right on white backgrounds in portrait mode like others have noted. All of a sudden it gets severe light leakage. Now my sgp protective backing is garbage and hopefully my screen protector will transfer.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I had the same problem. The Genius Bar at the Apple Store took one look at it and quickly replaced it with a new in the box one. Now I'm glad they did that but you know it took me two weeks to get my iPad because they were out of stock. How many did they store in the back room to swap out malfunctioning units?

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Southern Dad said:
I had the same problem. The Genius Bar at the Apple Store took one look at it and quickly replaced it with a new in the box one. Now I'm glad they did that but you know it took me two weeks to get my iPad because they were out of stock. How many did they store in the back room to swap out malfunctioning units?

It took two weeks to get the replacement?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
It took two weeks to get the replacement?

Yes, there are massive shortages of iPad everywhere. Some stores have some units in the backroom, some don't. So don't expect to get a replacement right away tomorrow, it is possible you'll be placed on a waiting list.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Nope... It took two weeks to get my first one. I had to put myself on the email alert then run up there the second one came in. (Actually they gave me 24 hours to pick it up.) The replacement came straight out of the back. Makes me wonder how many of them were in there the whole time I was waiting for mine.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I'm aware of the shortages but the replacements are from different stock. I hope they have tin the back tomorrow. If not at least the ipad is functional.

Just to confirm I should have no light leakage and a completely even backlight?

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
I'm aware of the shortages but the replacements are from different stock. I hope they have tin the back tomorrow. If not at least the ipad is functional.

Just to confirm I should have no light leakage and a completely even backlight?

Yes Dread "even". Mine developed a Stuck White Pixel over time and I just got it replaced.

Apple store employee acted like a D**k, luckily I didn't beat him down.
I called Tech support and they got right on it.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
What the previous extensive backlight bleed thread determined was that ALL LCD's suffer from a degree backlight bleed but most are only noticeable under very specific conditions. If you notice yours under normal everyday conditions then have it replaced. Unfortunately, some backlight bleed is inherent with the technology and the quality of the screens being used. If you do not believe me do some research and see how extensive it is across the LCD market in totality.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
My ceiling fan is making a weird grinding noise so I made an appointment with the repairman for next Friday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.