Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmy-Chivas

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2022
Hello, I am seeing light leaks or light bleed on dark backgrounds with a 2010 iMac 27". Vertical light is showing across both edges vertically and one across the bottom horizontal.

I have included a photo.

Wondering if there is a way to try and correct this?

I've opened up these LG panels in the past when they had excessive dust and that was successful. In this case I imagine that somehow the back light panel is pressed up too close against the LCD? Has someone out there had any luck correcting this?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• light-leaks.png
    light-leaks.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 69

paardenkapper

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2023
Germany
I'd think that is normal screen degradation after 14 years of use. When I had a similar model the edges would appear yellowish.

Maybe the polarizers or diffusors have deformed due to heat?

Reactions: Jimmy-Chivas

Jimmy-Chivas

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2022
I'd think that is normal screen degradation after 14 years of use. When I had a similar model the edges would appear yellowish.

Maybe the polarizers or diffusors have deformed due to heat?
Fair point. Thanks for the reply. Once the system warms up it seems less noticeable.

Reactions: paardenkapper

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
I have the white lines on the screen edges on my second 2011 27" iMac. They go away if I use the machine for couple of days but they come back if it sits unused for several days. My main 2011 27" iMac does not have them. I don't worry about it as there really is nothing that can be done about it. And I don't use the very edges to anything anyway. I actually keep the dock on the left side so the light leak is outside it not effecting the actual screen space.

These displays are not perfect now that they are old. They were not perfect when new either, for example 2009 27"s often had some yellow tint issues on the screens from new. I think Apple even replaced some screens back then but I believe majority never got it done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.