Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
Hello all,

Just wondering if you know whether this works? I would like to buy a Lightning Digital AV adapter to use with HDMI projectors and devices but since sometimes all a client has is a VGA connector I would like to use a standard HDMI to VGA converter. That would be a lot cheaper than also buying a Lightning to VGA adapter since both are $49.

Amazon has one for $14.99

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
It will work with a converter (digital to analog) but not an adapter (no conversion). It's unclear which you're referring to as your post and subject refer to both.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Sadly, the only way to be sure would be to test it out, but I am honestly not feeling optimistic.

I know I tried something like that (connect a HDMI-to-VGA adaptor to a mini display-to-HDMI adaptor to hook up my macbook air to a VGA projector). My laptop screen just kept flickering between blue and the main desktop while nothing showed up on the projector screen.

My guess is that the 2 adaptors are somehow stuck in some conversion loop. I am not sure if there is a distinction between adaptor and converter? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.