Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I have an older model Boston Duo-I compact office stereo that dates back to my iPhone 4s days. Of course, it has a 30 pin connector to match the 4s. For a couple years after I upgraded to an iPhone 6 I was able to still play music through it and charge the iPhone 6 using an official Apple Lightning to 30 pin adapter (the one with a six inch lead on it). Later, when reports about third parties being able to get around the lock screen via USB emerged, it became problematic to use with both my iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2: it would work, but I had to unlock the iOS device first and/or start the music on the iOS device. Now it appears that under iOS 12 this adapter will no longer play music or charge under any scenario I've been able to come up with... has anyone else seen this, too? Any workarounds that you're aware of?

Thanks,

Kurt

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Can't speak to the specific dock you have, but, my car stereo has a 30-pin connector and the 30 to Lightning connector has been working flawlessly on all v12 releases, including current/most recent.

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
NoBoMac, that is interesting. Maybe I'll play around with a simple USB-to-30-pin cable and the adapter together with my car stereos. At least that might expose whether the adapter itself is broken, though it has been handled gently and not used that much. I am using it with an extender cable to limit the strain on the adapter (going direct didn't fix it, either).

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Official adapter? Mine works even on 12.2 beta 3
This, maybe.

Lots of knockoff connectors out there (be it 30 pin, 3.5mm, etc), and lots of bad reviews.

For the record, my connector is official Apple 30 to Lightning. And have one on the shelf once Apple dropped it (bought at Best Buy day Apple pulled it from their stores). So, might need to search Amazon, Ebay, etc to find a legit one these days.

ADD: Seem to recall that Apple in the past has blocked non-MFi accessories (some sort of key/certificate for licensed products burned into the device: no valid key, Apple can block via lookup table in os).

Last edited:

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Now that I've updated to 12.2 it appears that my adapter is back to working, though it still has quirks: plug it in, no complaints (appears to be charging the iPhone 6). Press play on the phone, music comes out of the phone; press stop on phone. Press play on the external speaker's remote, and music comes out of external speakers. I'll count that as a win.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.