Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ademUp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2020
What I’m trying to do is plug my iPhone in to my AirPort Extreme in tether mode so that I can create a WiFi Network that has internet access for me to use in my room. Is there such as thing as a lightning to Ethernet adapter?

I’ve tried using the Apple lightning to Camera adapter with a non-Apple usb to ethernet adapter but this combination did not result in the iPhones internet connection being shared over the AirPort’s Wifi.

The broader scope of the situation is that I’m living with many other people and there is one underpowered router with too many users on the wifi. I’ve tried plugging the AirPort Extreme into that router and I can connect to it via the AirPort Extreme’s WiFi network which I set up, this improves things somewhat as I am the only one who can get onto that network, however the WAN connection on the router does not have much bandwidth either, so at peak times, the network crawls and services like Apple Music become an exercise in frustration rather than a pleasure.

I’m hoping (and this may be a vain hope) that there is a way to tether my iPhone to the AirPort Extreme and just have it in my room where cellular data access is great. In that way, I can connect my HomePods and other devices to it as well and experience consistently great internet connection. For example, I get 256Mbps down on my phones connection but only 7 to 9 down on the so-called “broadband“ from the houses main router.

Last edited:

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
I don`t think that is possible because the iPhone does not allow you to share the Internet for outgoing traffic but it does over USB. But then the Airport is the problem as it does not support "tethered connections". You can buy a gli router like the beryl ax or slate ax. With those you can plug in your iPhone with a USB Connection and share the Internet with Wifi and LAN of the router. I am using this sometimes in Hotels or while travelling. But these router are specially made for that.

Reactions: 4sallypat

ademUp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2020
T
I don`t think that is possible because the iPhone does not allow you to share the Internet for outgoing traffic but it does over USB. But then the Airport is the problem as it does not support "tethered connections". You can buy a gli router like the beryl ax or slate ax. With those you can plug in your iPhone with a USB Connection and share the Internet with Wifi and LAN of the router. I am using this sometimes in Hotels or while travelling. But these router are specially made for that.
Thanks!

ademUp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2020
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.