Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What?Say,What?

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
I am attempting to wire my iPhone 11 up with some external (over-ear open sided/backed) headphones. Of course, this is trivial, however I also need a microphone. Since I cannot find any such headphone that has a mono inline-remote-mic as well, I need to split mic and headphone. However almost everything I see are old threads, and cached links, and old product pages. The only thing I found actually available for this is here:
What's unique about this? It's a TRRS-> TS (mono mic)+TRS (stereo headphone) splitter. They also sell a TRRS to 2 TRS type, but then again so do many places.

The problem: I can find only one TS on 3.5mm mic as well:

Second part of the problem: all reports seem to indicate that the apple lightning -> 3.5mm adapter (which is the first adapter in my planned chain) is very picky, so what I've read seems to indicate I -need- the TS mic with a TS mic capable splitter.

In other words, if these two specific items don't work in tandem with the apple lightning->3.5mm adapter I'm probably SOL!

Does anyone know where a TS male to TRS female 3.5mm cable can be found? (Or another -wired- solution to this problem, not using bluetooth). Still can't find one of those! I would like to get one so I could at least try one of the trillion affordable TRS 3.5mm mics in the world just in case that specific mic doesn't work... b/c from what I've read the TRS + TRS to TRRS splitters do NOT give a mic stereo (TRS) mic signal through to the iPhone with the apple 3.5mm to lightning adapter... sigh.

Purpose: This is for making app-based two-way voice calls on iOS 13, the EarPods are making me deaf from very heavy usage over the last several months, so I need to separate my ears from the source in a way that allows my headphones to not fall away or sound horrible because I'm using them incorrectly. I also want to be able to just -listen- without "earphone" style (I don't do "earbud" style, period, none of the caps fit my canals properly, tried a handful of different brands and some with changeable sizes, etc. over the years, these would also damage my hearing more at this point I think).

I decided not to necro this post, but it's an example of how hard this stuff is to find...: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-and-out.1329837/?post=14385160#post-14385160

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.