Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atonaldenim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
Just in case you were wondering, the Lightning to USB-C adapter just released for Apple Pencil 1st Gen to connect to new iPad, does not seem to allow a Lightning wired game controller to connect to a USB-C iPad Mini.

(Does anyone know of another way to do that?)

Since the adapter allows the lightning pencil to both charge from and pair with the USB-C iPad, I thought maybe it would be able to pass data from lightning to USB-C, but when I plugged the adapter into a Gamevice GV140 MFi lightning controller, then a USB-C cable into my iPad Mini 6th Gen, nothing happens at all.

Likewise trying to plug lightning headphones or even a lightning charger cable into the adapter has no effect on the iPad Mini. It doesn’t seem to be the flexible data + power adapter I hoped it would be.

Also, the adapter needs to be modded before anything but a pencil can be plugged into the lightning side of the adapter. Apparently the pencil has a longer lightning male connector than any other lightning device, so this pencil adapter has the female lightning port set very far back where a normal lightning connector couldn’t reach it. I had to take off about 2mm of plastic housing off the adapter with a hacksaw to be able to plug in lightning controller.

Why do all this? Since no USB-C wired iPad Mini controller grips like the Gamevice currently exist, I was curious if a lightning controller could be adapted to connect via USB-C. Seems like this adapter is not the way. Hope that saves someone else the trouble!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.