Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IXDoubleDXI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Central Florida
Hi All,
I tried searching but couldn't find an answer. Can anyone recommend a SD Card reader that works with the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter? I tried using a SanDisk one, but got the too much power required error. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
I'd advise you to just bit the bullet and buy the SD adapter as well. Ever since Apple lowered the output of the USB adapter from 100mA to 20mA, the USB adapter has been mostly useless. Not even sure if a memory card reader that draws less than 20mA exists

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I'd advise you to just bit the bullet and buy the SD adapter as well.

Not so fast! I found one that works just yesterday. It's a Targus brand that I bought at Target for ~$8 (it's even cheaper elsewhere, I think).

13567349.jpg

Not exactly the highest quality, as I found I had to give the card a wiggle before it's detected (I may exchange it). But, the bottom line is it does the job with the new lightning to USB adapter.

Regards,
Tom

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
Just curious, what would you used to view the files on it? Some 3rd party app?

Well iOS is in itself capable of getting photos, videos, and music off a USB drive, as long as you can find a drive that requires less than 20mA of power.

If you're jailbroken, all you need is a free tweak and iFile to be able to read whatever off it. Or an SD card, for that matter.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Well iOS is in itself capable of getting photos, videos, and music off a USB drive, as long as you can find a drive that requires less than 20mA of power.

If you're jailbroken, all you need is a free tweak and iFile to be able to read whatever off it. Or an SD card, for that matter.

Photos I knew of, but videos and music? Where do you go to view those? The Videos and Music apps?

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
Personally I have a USB adapter for my Android phone, and it has no ridiculous power limitations, so if I ever need to, I can interact with a flash drive via that.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Personally I have a USB adapter for my Android phone, and it has no ridiculous power limitations, so if I ever need to, I can interact with a flash drive via that.

I hear you. I personally just use Dropbox for file transfer. If I need something on one of my iOS devices, I just throw it in DB from my Mac. If I'm away from my Mac, I'll just remote into it. I try to avoid carrying around flash drives since they are so easy to lose and can have sensitive information on them.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
I hear you. I personally just use Dropbox for file transfer. If I need something on one of my iOS devices, I just throw it in DB from my Mac. If I'm away from my Mac, I'll just remote into it. I try to avoid carrying around flash drives since they are so easy to lose and can have sensitive information on them.

I do the same, but there's always someone who comes to you with a flash drive and asks where to plug it in :p

me55

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2019
Bought the adapter (MD821ZM/A) and can confirm it is picky in terms of flash drive compatibility.

Flash drives that show required power 100 mA or less in the System Info on macOS work with the adapter on an iPhone 11.

The workaround with a USB hub also works to use flash drives with higher power requirements.

EDIT: Oops, just noticed this is an ancient thread. Post is still useful though.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.