Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Factionrider

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
So, I saw the opportunity for expandable storage on my iPhone 5 and iPad 4 using the lightning to USB cable. It looked like everyone using the 30 pin versions have success but I can't find ANY information on using the lightning cable.

Okay, here is what happens.

I have

iPad4/iPhone5
Lightning to USB cable
USB External HD (Self powered)
PNY Micro usb drive (32gb)
Sandisk Cruizer usb drive (16GB)

This is what happens regardless of testing on the iphone or the ipad. (leads me to believe lightning is the problem)

(Using iFile on ios6.0)

iDevice+PNY= Nothing, no mount, no power warning... Just nothing, not even "This device is not supported'
iDevice+Sandisk= power warning, and nothing
idevice+USB HD= power warning, not supported warning, nothing

if anyone can offer any help I would be greatly appreciative.

Last edited:

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
So, I saw the opportunity for expandable storage on my iPhone 5 and iPad 4 using the lightning to USB cable. It looked like everyone using the 30 pin versions have success but I can't find ANY information on using the lightning cable.

Okay, here is what happens.

I have

iPad4/iPhone5
Lightning to USB cable
USB External HD (Self powered)
PNY Micro usb drive (32gb)
Sandisk Cruizer usb drive (16GB)

This is what happens regardless of testing on the iphone or the ipad. (leads me to believe lightning is the problem)

(Using iFile on ios6.0)

iDevice+PNY= Nothing, no mount, no power warning... Just nothing, not even "This device is not supported'
iDevice+Sandisk= power warning, and nothing
idevice+USB HD= power warning, not supported warning, nothing

if anyone can offer any help I would be greatly appreciative.

You need this https://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/0...a-connection-kit-supports-usb-sd-and-microsd/

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
How is that fundamentally different from this:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-to-USB-Cable/dp/B0097BEFYA

It's not that I don't believe you I'm just curious as to why it wouldn't work.

Because the former has a microcontroller to interface with USB Mass Storage devices.

The iPhone or iPad does not act as a host over USB, so a lot of hacking would be required to make your solution work. Drivers would need to be hacked, and drivers would need to be made.

Factionrider

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Because the former has a microcontroller to interface with USB Mass Storage devices.

The iPhone or iPad does not act as a host over USB, so a lot of hacking would be required to make your solution work. Drivers would need to be hacked, and drivers would need to be made.

Fair enough, thanks for the help.

Factionrider

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008

One more question. Does the apple 30 pin to usb or the apple 30 pin to SD have a micro-controller on board? I'm leaving town in a few days and would prefer a solution that I can pick up locally, even if it isn't the most elegant one. (I'm thinking lightning>30pin>USB or SD.) I have a long flight coming up and 16 gigs won't cut it.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
One more question. Does the apple 30 pin to usb or the apple 30 pin to SD have a micro-controller on board? I'm leaving town in a few days and would prefer a solution that I can pick up locally, even if it isn't the most elegant one. (I'm thinking lightning>30pin>USB or SD.) I have a long flight coming up and 16 gigs won't cut it.

Yepp they work!!! ;)

Though it is a little picky on the USB drives, some use just slightly to much power (a powered USB hub will let you use them, just FYI), but most usb sticks work ;) There might be a cydia tweak that tricks the iPad to give out slightly more power, so that a few more USB sticks work, I remember that there was a guy trying to develop it.

The reason these work, is that the micro controller on board these adapter, fakes it in a way to say that they are the host (not the ipad/iphone), and then they can serve you the parition using a driver on the iOS device. (thanks Apple)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.