Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
I'm a novice when it comes to photo editing but I have Lightroom on my Mac which I mainly use for cataloguing my photos and I'm now trying to delve into it a bit more.

I've watched some online tutorials regarding colour editing. In the photo below of my little girl I've turned the photo black and white and then just brought in the blue so that her coat stands out. I'm wondering if there is a way of using the brush to then add in the original colour where I want? For instance, if I wanted to bring the colour back for her face and hair only, is there a way of just brushing that back in? I appreciate there are problaly dedicated Adobe Lightroom forums but I wanted to ask the regulars and experts here first.

Thank you.

MISC_1.jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I would do something like this in ps probably where you have better masking abilities and can work in layers.

However, if you only have LR I’d go about it the other way and leave your photo in color then use an adjustment brush on the background with the saturation set to 0. That will make it b&w.

this is called selective coloring if you want to google for specific tutorials.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.