Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2006
Hi there I just wanted to add a report on adding the Lite-On LH-20A1H 20x20 DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive Lightscribe drive to my Mac Pro 2.0, running OS 10.4.8. (This is also a dvd-ram drive)

I just followed the directions on "replacing an optical drive" in Apples little owners booklet that came with my Mac Pro. It went right in and then was immediately recognized by Mac OS 10.4.8. To get the lightscribe to work I needed to install the file found at this link:

http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/mac/index.aspx?id=813

You need to install it first and then to use the lightscribe function you need to install a label lightscribe label program like Lacie's Labeler program for mac found at http://www.lacie.com/support/drivers/index.htm. It it important in the installation of this program to select "Custom" install and Un-check the "Host software" module button.

I was then able to print a lightscribe DVD, which is way cool. Burning speed for a full disk label took just under 30 minutes using the latest Verbatim 16X lightscribe DVD media.

FWIW the Lite-on drive is a bit quieter than the original Sony superdrive in my Mac Pro, to my ears anyway, and a whole lot faster. It ripped a cd into iTunes at an average of 37-40 X compared to 17-20 times for the same disk on the Sony, and burned a copy of a 1 hour home made DVD from my Sony in under 4 minutes using Toast 6. Very happy with the drive.

Paxx

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
That's great to hear. I've been able to burn regular disks using Patchburn with my LG drive, but I've had to put up in to Windows every time I wanted to use Lightscribe. I'll try this out, thanks for sharing!

paxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2006
That's great to hear. I've been able to burn regular disks using Patchburn with my LG drive, but I've had to put up in to Windows every time I wanted to use Lightscribe. I'll try this out, thanks for sharing!

Hope it helps. It works great for my Lite-on. Keep us posted

Paxx

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
How black do you lightscribe disc's come out? I mean, how much is the contrast? I have an external Lacie Lightscribe drive and when I create a lightscribe disc, the detail in the image is great, but it nevers gets "black", it barely shows on the discs. It's hard to describe, maybe I can take a picture when I get home from work. I have two options for burning, one is quick and one is better quality, I have tried both but neither is very vibriant. I bought HP DVD-R lightscribe discs, I'm curious if it is the media causing the problem or my drive.

When I go to the lightscribe website, their sample images look like it can create an almost black design, and all shades inbetween.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Mine have never come out black. It's kind of a dark... whatever color the disk is. I'm using Memorex disks with an LG burner. I think their pictures are a bit misleading, frankly, but I think it's still dark enough to be readable.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I took a picture of how my disc's come out. This is on the "best" quality. Does this look similar to what everyone else gets? I really was expecting it to be much darker and easier to read. If you look at mine real quick you would almost pass it over and not tell it was there.

Attachments

• lightscribe.jpg
    lightscribe.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 140

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
You can reinsert the disk and print the same design again on it. It looks darker when this is done. Have you tried this?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
You can reinsert the disk and print the same design again on it. It looks darker when this is done. Have you tried this?

But... how would it know to start from the same spot on the disk? I mean, the disk spins when it's in the drive, wouldn't it just pick a random point as "up" each time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.