Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeatherNancy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2020
I know this sounds strange, but, yes, I've noticed a greenish substance - I believe it's limescale - lining the inside of my phone's Lightning port.

I'm one of those people who washes their phone under tap water daily. (Just water; I don't use soap or anything) A mistake in hindsight in my case; I guess the water at my area is kinda hard, so I have this mess after 2 years. Come to think of it, I wonder what else the tap water had... ?

I just checked and my lightning connector still works (I've been wirelessly charging since day 1), but I would really like to clean things up if possible - and safely. Any idea how I could get rid of this stuff? Normally vinegar would work on limescale but apparently vinegar is bad for electronics? Should I get bottles of distilled water and try to flush everything out - would this be risky though? Or is there a cleaning product out there for this? Or should I just try to live with it? It bugs me though.

Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: GreenLightLuke

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Could be bacteria, could be anything if it's green... Take it into Apple and ask them to clean it out for you. They'll do it without charge, although if you tell them you wash your phone the way you do - they probably won't help.

However washing your phone DAILY under tap water is ridiculous. If you insist on cleaning it daily, buy specified wipes or a cleaning solution designed for that purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.