Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onemacmini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Hertfordshire
hi there me and my uncle transfer files through this using our ip's . no we dont download illegal music it's just a easier way to share while he's in saudia arabia. but when we transferr our music the limewire connection fades in and out then goes to okbs per second. please help on resolving this. its not my internet its something to do with limewire. also i have limewirepro

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
onemacmini said:
hi there me and my uncle transfer files through this using our ip's . no we dont download illegal music it's just a easier way to share while he's in saudia arabia. but when we transferr our music the limewire connection fades in and out then goes to okbs per second. please help on resolving this. its not my internet its something to do with limewire. also i have limewirepro
Which ISP are you with? A number of UK ISPs are blocking, or slowing down, P2P apps, notably Plusnet and Pipex. That might be the cause.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Can they legally do that? I'd guess that would be very shaky ground and a dangerous precedent to make.

I used Limewire and another couple of P2P apps via Pipex and haven't had any problems or slowdown recently.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Are you using the default ports? Some isp's block the common ones that are used with p2p programs.

Try changing the port to something other than 6346. You can use port numbers between 1 and 65535. Make sure you don't use any common ports like msn / http / ichat etc. Maybe try something in the mid 50000's...

After you do it make sure you and your uncle forward the port in your router and change the port in limewire.

good luck!!

aussie_geek

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
onemacmini said:
hi there me and my uncle transfer files through this using our ip's .

Why don't you just use FTP, it should be more reliable and faster? You can enable it on your machine and he can use a variety of programs to get/put files. You can even get files (servers mount read only) using Finder.

onemacmini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Hertfordshire
aussie_geek said:
Are you using the default ports? Some isp's block the common ones that are used with p2p programs.

Try changing the port to something other than 6346. You can use port numbers between 1 and 65535. Make sure you don't use any common ports like msn / http / ichat etc. Maybe try something in the mid 50000's...

After you do it make sure you and your uncle forward the port in your router and change the port in limewire.

good luck!!

aussie_geek

any help on how to do this ??

MatthewCobb

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
Manchester, UK
Port change in Limewire

onemacmini said:
any help on how to do this ??

Limewire/Preferences/Advanced/Firewallconfig

Type in the port number here, and again in your router software.

BTW, I've had no problems of this kind, but have not been using it in same way :) - FTP (w/Fetch or similar) sounds a better bet, to be honest, for your needs.

jocool5

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2005
Minnesota
kingjr3 said:
Why don't you just use FTP, it should be more reliable and faster? You can enable it on your machine and he can use a variety of programs to get/put files. You can even get files (servers mount read only) using Finder.
First: Limewire has caused more Premissions errors that i can shake a stick at. I work at a campus Helpdesk and limewire seems to be the end of many a macintosh computers.
second FTP. you can set up a username and PW and it is just as good as the limewire program. You go to sys pref. -> sharing -> and you will see al the sharing types and there should be a way to limit the folder to R-only and there is even a way to give others permission.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.