Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Actually, the sliders on all three (sound in system prefs, audio MIDI setup, and Garageband) are all linked together. If you have all of them open on the screen at once and change one, they all change accordingly.

One interesting thing is that if you look at Audio MIDI Setup (as shown below), the left-most setting is 0dB. I have talked with some people that say the left-most position on their computers is a negative amount.

Can you guys check your Audio MIDI Setup and see if the furthest left = 0dB?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 102

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Can you guys check your Audio MIDI Setup and see if the furthest left = 0dB?
On this old piece of junk it runs from -12 to 12 dB. I guess I'm not too surprised, Macs have used different sound chips over the years.

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
On this old piece of junk it runs from -12 to 12 dB. I guess I'm not too surprised, Macs have used different sound chips over the years.

More fuel to the fire that makes me think something is up with my sound card. Why would Apple put in a sound card that you couldn't even use for simple line-in recordings? I doubt they would. So what is causing me to not have negative volume control.

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Nah, the number range is fine. For the MacBook Pro, the normal range is 0 to 22.5 dB.

Thank you for the link. I guess that answers that question. Time to use a mixer to reduce the volume before it gets to the computer or buy a better sound card. Dang...was hoping to just go right into the computer from my home stereo.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
I am trying to record a line input using my MacBook Pro's internal sound card and Garageband. The problem I am having is the signal that the sound card is reading is unusually high and is clipping, even when the input volume is turned all the way down. Please see image to see what I am talking about.

(If this seems familiar, I posted a similar thread the other day, but rephrased it with Garageband since everyone has this software.)

Does anyone else have this issue when using Garageband (or any other recording application) to record line level stereo signals? The more I play with this, the more I'm worried something is wrong with my sound card.

This might be a stupid question, but did you try turning down the track volume slider that is just below the level meter?

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
This might be a stupid question, but did you try turning down the track volume slider that is just below the level meter?

That one is only used for playback. I think this is just due to the fact that my MBP doesn't support negative gain levels. You'll notice the other guy just posted a picture where his went down to -12dB and he had to raise his levels to get a good sound. He is starting -12dB quieter than I am right off the bat.

Oh how I wish Apple gave me that control. I can't believe that they don't in a "pro" machine. I guess they figure pros will be buying better external sound cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.