Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e3ham

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
I’ve just received my Midnight Apple leather case for my iPhone 13PM, and noticed that there seem to be these sort of weird lines on the back of the case. They tend to not be noticeable in darker settings, only when there is some light shining on it. Is this normal for Apple leather cases? It’s my first leather case from them so I’m not sure if this is an anomaly or not.

75679EF6-0197-4DC3-808C-964DBC0EE07D.jpeg

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
I certainly hope this isn't going to be the "there's a spec on my MacBook" thread.

Leather is a natural material. Genuine leather will have "imperfections" like this. No need to worry.

If you don't like it, don't buy a leather case.

;)

Reactions: Snørrbjørg

e3ham

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
I certainly hope this isn't going to be the "there's a spec on my MacBook" thread.

Leather is a natural material. Genuine leather will have "imperfections" like this. No need to worry.

If you don't like it, don't buy a leather case.

;)
I apologize if my post came off sounding wrong, I don’t dislike the imperfections. As this is my first Apple leather cases, I just wanted to know if these imperfections were “normal” or cause for worry. I’ve never seen one of these irl before, and given that they cost well over $100 I was worried something was “wrong” on mine. I don’t own many leather goods and therefore am not knowledgeable on how leather ages, its properties, etc.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I’ve just received my Midnight Apple leather case for my iPhone 13PM, and noticed that there seem to be these sort of weird lines on the back of the case. They tend to not be noticeable in darker settings, only when there is some light shining on it. Is this normal for Apple leather cases? It’s my first leather case from them so I’m not sure if this is an anomaly or not.

View attachment 1915076

My golden brown has the same lines. It is natural and okay. Enjoy the case. The texture looks great.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I apologize if my post came off sounding wrong, I don’t dislike the imperfections. As this is my first Apple leather cases, I just wanted to know if these imperfections were “normal” or cause for worry. I’ve never seen one of these irl before, and given that they cost well over $100 I was worried something was “wrong” on mine. I don’t own many leather goods and therefore am not knowledgeable on how leather ages, its properties, etc.

No worries. People often come to these forums for laughable minutiae, resulting in people scoffing at the ones who are only genuinely curious, such as you were, with your first Apple case purchase.

These lines are normal. Here's mine, the second line is out of frame. Enjoy your quality purchase.

IMG_0011.jpeg

sonstar

Suspended
Sep 13, 2021
It’s a fault they all don’t have it, I have returned some over the years for it. My midnight now has them and was refunded so I kept it.
Go through the leather case threads you will see.

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018
As people have already pointed out, it's normal. However, there are some Apple leather cases that have them (to varying degrees) and some that look smooth. Depending on how hard it is to remove your case, some more creases might appear as you bend the case to remove the phone. There are some members on here that look forward to having a case that looks like yours from day one, because it means that the patina will look even better once it starts developing.

Reactions: macintoshmac

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
Yikes!
$100 dollars for a case?
is this not just too much

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Just bad quality leather honestly but that's to be expected from mass produced accessories like this from China. I gave up cases long ago and while Apple had some of the better ones both their silicone and leather ones always felt gross/sticky after a few months most likely due to the oils but with no option to clean them it just felt terrible. Case free reduces the size and provides a more comfortable experience to me but you gotta be willing to accept the risk.

Reactions: nrvous1

Pro_the_legend

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2021
Yikes!
$100 dollars for a case?
is this not just too much
It is, but depending on where they're from, they may not have an option. Here in India, I bought my leather case for the equivalent of $80. That's Apple's price + taxes.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
It is, but depending on where they're from, they may not have an option. Here in India, I bought my leather case for the equivalent of $80. That's Apple's price + taxes.

I get your explanation.

Maybe because for me I always find myself eventually getting bored by any case I get despite how good it is.

This leads me to sometimes using the phone close to naked and maybe just trying out alternative cases of different styles.

And because of this I may never spend as much on a single case.

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Just bad quality leather honestly but that's to be expected from mass produced accessories like this from China. I gave up cases long ago and while Apple had some of the better ones both their silicone and leather ones always felt gross/sticky after a few months most likely due to the oils but with no option to clean them it just felt terrible. Case free reduces the size and provides a more comfortable experience to me but you gotta be willing to accept the risk.
Pretty much why I switched to a leather sleeve from a reputable company (Torro).

sonstar

Suspended
Sep 13, 2021
Pretty much why I switched to a leather sleeve from a reputable company (Torro).
Got the black wallet case, man it's huge even bigger than the Mrs nomad folio. Straight back in the box and returned lol. Had a nice smell but nothing like the nomad leather.

Reactions: nrvous1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.