Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Anyone use this app? Its free at the AppStore, but is rather bland and useless.

Thoughts?

A nice, facebook-like overhaul is in order!

JNB

macrumors 604
Anyone use this app? Its free at the AppStore, but is rather bland and useless.

Thoughts?

A nice, facebook-like overhaul is in order!

In this instance, bland is good. It's not for social networking, but for professional networking. Personally, If I wanted Facebook, I'd use Facebook (which I don't, nor it's brethren). I use LinkedIn solely for those professional connections, and find the app clean and to the point. Actually, other than some minor bells and/or whistles, I prefer the iPhone app to the full web version.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
MA
In this instance, bland is good. It's not for social networking, but for professional networking. Personally, If I wanted Facebook, I'd use Facebook (which I don't, nor it's brethren). I use LinkedIn solely for those professional connections, and find the app clean and to the point. Actually, other than some minor bells and/or whistles, I prefer the iPhone app to the full web version.

Right and I use LinkedIn all the time as a PROFESSIONAL tool. But the iPhone app lacks major features like profile editing and such.... just want to see more thats all.

JNB

macrumors 604
Right and I use LinkedIn all the time as a PROFESSIONAL tool. But the iPhone app lacks major features like profile editing and such.... just want to see more thats all.

Well, those are different concerns than expressed originally, though I think you may be missing the intent of the app (and of the iPhone's place) in this instance. As I see it, the app is, like the iPhone, an extension of the "whole thing." It's not meant to replace LinkedIn (web), like the iPhone doesn't replace a desktop or notebook machine, but extends their usefulness to a more portable form.

In that extension, I neither need nor desire the full set of features; I have the regular version accessible from a browser (which I suppose I could do with the iPhone, but my eyes wouldn't tolerate it ;)). Actually, compared to most mobile/WAP versions of things, LinkedIn is pretty darn sweet. The regular version is too cluttered & busy for my tastes, really.

As far as profile editing, I don't see a need for it. Once I had my profile complete, I think I've edited it once since in a year's time. It's not the kind of thing that requires constant touching.

pytter

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
I am a bit ambivalent - I like the access to contacts but would like the ability to search the full network and send/ receive inmails/ introductions, etc..

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Well, those are different concerns than expressed originally, though I think you may be missing the intent of the app (and of the iPhone's place) in this instance. As I see it, the app is, like the iPhone, an extension of the "whole thing." It's not meant to replace LinkedIn (web), like the iPhone doesn't replace a desktop or notebook machine, but extends their usefulness to a more portable form.

In that extension, I neither need nor desire the full set of features; I have the regular version accessible from a browser (which I suppose I could do with the iPhone, but my eyes wouldn't tolerate it ;)). Actually, compared to most mobile/WAP versions of things, LinkedIn is pretty darn sweet. The regular version is too cluttered & busy for my tastes, really.

As far as profile editing, I don't see a need for it. Once I had my profile complete, I think I've edited it once since in a year's time. It's not the kind of thing that requires constant touching.

Noted and thanks for the insight. Overall, I like the application -- giving it a grade of a B-.

I would like the ability to edit photos and employer info though -- these can change more frequently for some! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.