Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouisOscar17

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Hi folks,

Complete rookie here, looking for set up advice and guidance…

My broadband is provided by Sky, and for the past few months I’ve been having issues with the router they provided as part of the package. The connection repeatedly drops, the internet stops responding, and my HomeKit devices end up becoming unresponsive. Sky and I have tried everything under the sun to rectify these issues, it’s confirmed that nothing is wrong with the expected broadband speeds or connection in general, just their rubbish router!

I’ve purchased a Linksys Velop WiFi 6 Mesh router from Apple. I was able to connect the Linksys to the Sky router via ethernet, but whenever the Sky router starts misbehaving, the Linksys goes offline too. I’ve tried connecting the Linksys directly to the internet socket using a filter and ADSL cable, but the light on the router turns red and leads to no internet connection being available.

Can anybody help me set this up (app installed and functioning when Linksys connected to Sky) so that I can dispose of the Sky router and stop relying on 4G?!

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
From my understanding the Velop is not a modem replacement, you will still need your Sky modem connected to the Velop.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
Is your router from Sky a modem with a built in router and Wifi access point? If so, you'll probably have to ask them for a dedicated modem to lease, or purchase one on your own that is compatible if they allow it (Some ISPs don't). They can provide you with a list of models if they support customer-purchased modems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.