Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I would opted for the $100m and skipped this video :)
Those of us who are just working stiffs, would agree but putting ourselves in his shoes, I see his logic. Far too many times I've seen successful businessmen (and woman) nurture a company to be very successful, they sell and "retire" what do they do? Get a bigger house? A bigger car? Both Linus and his wife appear to love what they do and already have a everything that want

Also thee sold company many times struggles because the new owners are anxious to squeeze out out profits and they change what made it special.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Those of us who are just working stiffs, would agree but putting ourselves in his shoes, I see his logic. Far too many times I've seen successful businessmen (and woman) nurture a company to be very successful, they sell and "retire" what do they do? Get a bigger house? A bigger car? Both Linus and his wife appear to love what they do and already have a everything that want

Also thee sold company many times struggles because the new owners are anxious to squeeze out out profits and they change what made it special.
I was jesting, in part :)

Sure understanding your limitations and skill set is important as too keeping yourself busy if you can afford to retire or step back early

Although I am not retired, but could/should be, my main hobby is helping a friend run his building company for no renumeration, simply as I enjoy it. My wife thinks I am mad but for me its a better alternative than playing golf x5 a week and roaming the bars etc in Thailand :)

However I presume Linus is already reasonably wealthy and can afford to turn down $100m and at his age. I guess $100m would not fund enough alternative hobbies or he simply finds it easier to do what he does now and not seek the challenge of alternatives, which is another limitation he understands about himself.

Still nice to have choices

TheOtherAndy

macrumors member
May 20, 2018
Outside Milwaukee, WI

The biggest example would be Dell, right? As I recall, Michael Dell stepped down then ended up buying the company back and taking it private.

Linus' move makes sense to me. He wants to goof off with computers on video, not deal with the mundane day-to-day business administration. Given that he mentions the warranty on backpacks, he likely wasn't great at delegating things either. This way he gets to pass off stuff he doesn't want to deal with while still goofing off on camera and getting to veto or push anything he doesn't/does want the company to do.

That said, I expect this to unravel in a year or two. I think most business founders like control (aka micromanaging) more than they think they do.

Reactions: maflynn
Apr 12, 2023
I would opted for the $100m and skipped this video :)
Not me. We (photographers) are going through this exact situation now with one of the largest photo websites. DPReview. The original owner sold it to the devil (Jeff Bezos), and now they are shuttering the doors as soon as possible. Tens of thousands of photographers use that website daily, but I guess it does not bring in 100 million a quarter now so its useless. I tip my hat to Linus and his wife for NOT selling out.

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
Not me. We (photographers) are going through this exact situation now with one of the largest photo websites. DPReview. The original owner sold it to the devil (Jeff Bezos), and now they are shuttering the doors as soon as possible. Tens of thousands of photographers use that website daily, but I guess it does not bring in 100 million a quarter now so its useless. I tip my hat to Linus and his wife for NOT selling out.

To be fair, Amazon bought it in 2007 so it had long run under Amazon's ownership.

paardenkapper

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2023
Germany
LTT is a great channel and I hope they continue in producing videos in that quality.
My only criticism is really that some videos are pointless and seem to be made only to promote some product.

Could be a good thing that Linux is stepping down to focus on being creative instead of managing before he has another meltdown.

Reactions: SkyBell
Apr 12, 2023
LTT is a great channel and I hope they continue in producing videos in that quality.
My only criticism is really that some videos are pointless and seem to be made only to promote some product.

Could be a good thing that Linux is stepping down to focus on being creative instead of managing before he has another meltdown.
That's called business. But overall, Linus' and group do awesome, entertaining videos, no matter what the topic.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Looks like Linus is stepping down from LMG

From this video, he's not wanting to do the day to day behind the scenes stuff. He'll still own the company and be doing videos, just not managing LMG.

A multi millionaire said very recently, really you only need 5 to 10 million, beyond that is pointless for ANY lifestyle, and he was worth around 170 million I think.
So Linus was right not to sell out, I guess it depends on the type of person you are but, yeah, if you have a nice income as I’m sure Linus does, what you going to do? I mean you are doing what you love, hence you’ve made yourself. But a hundred million will make anyone think, but a small company like Linus’s could see a lot of changes under new ownership you may not like.
In a company like this one it is hard to run it on your own like Linus, it really isn’t worth the stress and exhaustion and I’m glad he’s recognised that and done something about it.

Glad he’s still staying on and being on camera, and he is driving the company direction. And he is just going to do what he wants to do. Thanks for posting this as I didn’t know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.