Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigrell486

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Home
I'm trying to share files between my Mac and Linux computers.
The easiest way for me to do this is to share with Samba (Windows Sharing).

I know that Mac OS requires a password to connect but for some reason, My Linux computer connects to the shares with full read and write access without me even putting in a password. Whats worse is that if I set permissions to No Access and Write Only with Password, Linux still connects with full read and write capabilities.

I usually wouldn't have a problem with this but, I am at school and any computer connected to the network can be seen by anyone.

So is there some way I can hide my computer on the network so that it doesn't appear on the list?
Or better, Is there some type of security that I can implement that Linux will respect and not walk all over?

PS. This is on Mac OS X 10.5.5

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Do you by chance use the same username and password on both machines? If so, this is a feature. You are the admin and override any settings. Other users are prompted to enter a name and password. The same thing happens to me when connecting to my PC or from my PC to my Mac since both use the same Username and Password.

TEG

bigrell486

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Home
Yes the info is the same.

Ok, as long as everyone else is prompted to enter a password, I'll be fine.
Thank you.

uMac

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
Canada
I use a linux and i'll warn you that there is a lot of stuff you can do on a linux that can't be done on a Mac or PC. Its not hacking its just taking the path less travelled to reach your destination, or simply Linux allows you to walk around programming where you shouldn't be able to in a Mac/Win environment.

So you may want to check to be sure that no one else has an all access pass you your computer, although TEG's suggestion does make sense.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Just out of curiosity

Why did you pick Samba over NFS? All of our servers and 90% of our workstations are either OS X or Linux, and we use NFS to share between them and have had almost 0 problems. The only reason we use Samba is because we have to share with a few XP machines :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.