Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flatjuba

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
I want to create dual boot (OSX Sorbet Leopard & Linux Distro)...What I want to know, which Linux Distro that may give me Dropbox & Google Drive functionality.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Why not get a free online storage account (eg SwissDisk or 4Shared) that offers WebDAV connectivity?

You then have that available as a mounted network drive - I use mine on El Capitan, all the way down to OS9 and a Nokia E72 phone.

Reactions: Amethyst1

flatjuba

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
Why not get a free online storage account (eg SwissDisk or 4Shared) that offers WebDAV connectivity?

You then have that available as a mounted network drive - I use mine on El Capitan, all the way down to OS9 and a Nokia E72 phone.
Yes, I have SwissDisk. The free only limit to 50mb...and most of the time, it doesn't sync both ways...:(

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Sadly nothing 32bit that's available will work, or work well. Google drive works if you use a mobile phone useragent override though on the many FF52 based forks. Meaning they'll access drive without issue, but it wont let you create folders, etc. I've never used dropbox, so can't comment on that. There are newer webkit based browsers (Eolie, Epiphany) available in void linux, but they are either dog slow or crash prone on 32bit.

Now on the 64bit side of things it shouldnt be a problem as there are newer (and current) builds of Firefox and a bunch of current webkit based browsers that should handle those web interfaces without issue.

Cheers

dextructor

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2013
Unfortunately @wicknix it's right.

We have to stop thinking about Linux (or any other OS, *NIX or not) like it's the savior or the magical solution of computing.

All huge companies would make anything to lock their "solutions" and make their users prisoners without any alternatives, so we as users should take control of our files, protocols, systems, technology etc.

DropBox and Gdrive are mostly an WebDAV (FTP or rsync), with some "fairy dust" in warped with some "fancy design",some useful and convenient tricks to make us forget how things actually works behind the curtains.

So, if you wanna continue to use those solutions you will continue to switch OS's from time to time, a newer version of OSX, Windows, Linux with flatpacks(because it's way more easy to make "an executable" than it's to make your source code and documentation available).

Because if you can access your files through any file explorer and sync it, you can do this with almost any OS (mobile or desktop) and not depend on their solutions. And using any browser to to this will require much more resources than many of real apps combined.

With the current and future landscape of selfhosting being in charge of our files will become a question of choice, but that's leave it for another day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.