Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
First experience with gaming on Linux. Expecting to geek out on command-line but it's as dead simple as checking one box in Steam client with Proton integration.

Steam Proton - Copy.png

Award winning Stray DirectX 12 running on Linux Mint.
Stray Linux Mint 2 - Copy.png

One more thing...

Stray running locally with Android GPTK on phone. Early development but perhaps soon you can AAA on your phone without the need for Steam Deck.

Stray AndroidGPTK - Copy.jpg

Reactions: forever_music

forever_music

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2023
It sounds really well
First experience with gaming on Linux. Expecting to geek out on command-line but it's as dead simple as checking one box in Steam client with Proton integration.

View attachment 2218791

Award winning Stray DirectX 12 running on Linux Mint.
View attachment 2218792

One more thing...

Stray running locally with Android GPTK on phone. Early development but perhaps soon you can AAA on your phone without the need for Steam Deck.

View attachment 2218794

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
Does Steam call it this or is it just your personal moniker?
I'm convinced. In the future, I was planning on getting an M3 Mac Studio to replace my aging 2018 Intel Mac mini, particularly given the impressive Apple Silicon Mac gaming announcements before and during WWDC.

Instead, I'm going to build a monster overclocked gaming PC, with seven cooling fans, two radiators, a custom water loop, overpriced graphics card with too little VRAM, and enough LEDs so that it can be seen from Proxima Centauri. The circuit breakers might blow, given the power usage, but it'll be worth it. It's going to be fantastic running Fedora with Proton, ramshackle as gaming compatibility may be with WINE solutions, unlike Apple's push for native-only titles. I can't wait!

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
I'm convinced. In the future, I was planning on getting an M3 Mac Studio to replace my aging 2018 Intel Mac mini, particularly given the impressive Apple Silicon Mac gaming announcements before and during WWDC.

Instead, I'm going to build a monster overclocked gaming PC, with seven cooling fans, two radiators, a custom water loop, overpriced graphics card with too little VRAM, and enough LEDs so that it can be seen from Proxima Centauri. The circuit breakers might blow, given the power usage, but it'll be worth it. It's going to be fantastic running Fedora with Proton, ramshackle as gaming compatibility may be with WINE solutions, unlike Apple's push for native-only titles. I can't wait!
Har Har. At least NVIDIA only charges an extra $100 for an additional 8GB RAM unlike some companies.

Just buy a Steam Deck and try it out. Proton works better than you think. There's really no point waiting for native releases that will probably never come and only offer meagre performance benefits if they do. If you can't tell the difference, why care? Piece of mind that you KNOW 10 years from now that Apple will find a way to break your native-only title bought on the Mac App Store while your friends continue to play their copy Windows copy on the Steam Deck 5?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
Different strokes for different folks. Some prefer spending thousands of dollars for the slide show with M1 Max that consumes >100 watt gaming and sounds like a little vacuum cleaner at 55.6 decibels.

• Haha
Reactions: CMMChris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.