Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

countermoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2021
I know you can install Linux on almost any laptop, but has anyone looked into buying a Linux laptop? One built for it, with a distro already installed. I've looked at some companies that do this, and I wondered if anyone here has any experience with this kind of thing.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I've looked at them, like pine, system 76 and few others, found the laptops to be a bit pricey for what they are. But I suppose rolled into the cost is research to find specific Linux supported components and tech support from the laptop manufacturer. I'm sure Linux laptop makers use a modified distro specific for components they use.

Might be a less hair pulling experience then buying a newer laptop off the shelf and trying to install Linux, who knows what type of customisation off the shelf laptop manufacturers use in their bios prevention component swapping.

Side note here, I'm currently trying to find a distro that will play nice and have the packages I need that will run on my supposed Linux friendly manufacture laptop. Wifi issues, or won't boot all the way and other frustrations. I'm about ready to just reinstall the hard drive I swapped out and use it as intended but I really don't need or want windows for the tasks I got the laptop for.

Maybe I would have been better just grabbing a manufacturer modified Linux laptop?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I know you can install Linux on almost any laptop, but has anyone looked into buying a Linux laptop? One built for it, with a distro already installed. I've looked at some companies that do this, and I wondered if anyone here has any experience with this kind of thing.
I have looked into it. As much as I'd like to support companies that offer laptops with Linux preloaded, I find their offerings overly expensive and overly restrictive (in terms of options available).

Instead, I've opted to simply buy what windows notebook strikes my fancy (I avoid the 2-in-1 types since there is a greater chance of driver issues and added expense of the hardware itself), make a recovery USB stick (to restore to the original Windows preload), and then wipe it out and install my favorite Linux distro.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I don't understand why anyone would actually pay for a laptop to run an OS that's free. All it took to blow away Windows 11 on my HP was downloading and writing an *.ISO to a USB drive and rebooting. Everything else happened pretty much automatically (distro I'm running is Deepin)

crymimefireworks

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2014
I don't understand why anyone would actually pay for a laptop to run an OS that's free. All it took to blow away Windows 11 on my HP was downloading and writing an *.ISO to a USB drive and rebooting. Everything else happened pretty much automatically (distro I'm running is Deepin)
I wish this was true. Bluetooth mics don't work on Linux out of the box. Which means I can't work. I need a computer to do my work. I'm not a programmer. Therefore, I want to support paid options to get that extra power. Free isn't good enough.

I have looked into it. As much as I'd like to support companies that offer laptops with Linux preloaded, I find their offerings overly expensive and overly restrictive (in terms of options available).

Instead, I've opted to simply buy what windows notebook strikes my fancy (I avoid the 2-in-1 types since there is a greater chance of driver issues and added expense of the hardware itself), make a recovery USB stick (to restore to the original Windows preload), and then wipe it out and install my favorite Linux distro.
This is kind of coasting by on other people's work in my opinion. It's not sustainable. We need an option to best Windows and Mac for regular people. Linux today isn't it...but it could be.

I've looked at them, like pine, system 76 and few others, found the laptops to be a bit pricey for what they are. But I suppose rolled into the cost is research to find specific Linux supported components and tech support from the laptop manufacturer. I'm sure Linux laptop makers use a modified distro specific for components they use.

Might be a less hair pulling experience then buying a newer laptop off the shelf and trying to install Linux, who knows what type of customisation off the shelf laptop manufacturers use in their bios prevention component swapping.

Side note here, I'm currently trying to find a distro that will play nice and have the packages I need that will run on my supposed Linux friendly manufacture laptop. Wifi issues, or won't boot all the way and other frustrations. I'm about ready to just reinstall the hard drive I swapped out and use it as intended but I really don't need or want windows for the tasks I got the laptop for.

Maybe I would have been better just grabbing a manufacturer modified Linux laptop?
Yes this is exactly it. The extra money is going towards customizing Linux to run on specific hardware. It makes sense. Otherwise Windows and Mac will be the only options.

crymimefireworks

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2014
From all of the Linux laptops I've seen, system76 seem like a great option.
I really think they're on the right path to being the future of Linux. They're going slow and steady, not too fast, growing with the market. They can work with partners to do the hardware for now, get really good at supporting Linux. Start to roll out your own hardware slowly. The path ahead is long, if you don't rush.
Linux isn't good enough yet. You have to be a programmer to use it. But I bought from System76 because I believe they're going to help Linux get where it deserves to go, into the hands of non-programmers who just want to get their work done.

Reactions: ratspg

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I sure hope you don't expect Linux to get dumbed down like all the rest so 'grandparents can use it'. That's what sucks about modern software these days. Too busy idiot proofing it where smart people can't even use it properly or worse, the UI looks like a cartoon. I don't want a LeapPad for a laptop.

crymimefireworks

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2014
I sure hope you don't expect Linux to get dumbed down like all the rest so 'grandparents can use it'. That's what sucks about modern software these days. Too busy idiot proofing it where smart people can't even use it properly or worse, the UI looks like a cartoon. I don't want a LeapPad for a laptop.
Check your privilege please. Linux wasn't built for you to hoard it. I want open computing options for everyone. Grandparents, journalists, whistleblowers, teenagers. Windows and Mac OS have failed, Linux is the only hope.

Reactions: Cape Dave

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I still prefer it being meant for geeks. That's what makes it great. I don't want them pulling an Apple and dumbing it down or like Windows doing the same. You gotta be smarter than the equipment you're operating, learn how to use it. When folks stopped reading manuals and learning how to repair you see how they started making it where you throw it out and replace it.

Android still works because OEMs like Samsung still care about power users. Still got the customization and my ability to throw my favorite old apps on it. I'd hate to see Linux start forcing updates on people and being all generic. I hate dumbing down 'for the masses'. The masses have ruined everything else.

crymimefireworks

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2014
I still prefer it being meant for geeks. That's what makes it great. I don't want them pulling an Apple and dumbing it down or like Windows doing the same. You gotta be smarter than the equipment you're operating, learn how to use it. When folks stopped reading manuals and learning how to repair you see how they started making it where you throw it out and replace it.

Android still works because OEMs like Samsung still care about power users. Still got the customization and my ability to throw my favorite old apps on it. I'd hate to see Linux start forcing updates on people and being all generic. I hate dumbing down 'for the masses'. The masses have ruined everything else.
I can agree with that. There was a relevant article I meant to read but lost. Something about rejecting easy to use tools, the goal should be for tools to be used and treasured, rather than throwaway.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I wish this was true. Bluetooth mics don't work on Linux out of the box. Which means I can't work. I need a computer to do my work. I'm not a programmer. Therefore, I want to support paid options to get that extra power. Free isn't good enough.

"Free isn't good enough"

That's an interesting statement that caused me to think about what I'm doing and using and such. It's interesting you mentioned this because it made me think of why one reason I opted for Foss, (other then the mega cooperations control) not because I'm cheap, but the work I do, I didn't think I was good enough for paid software and went the Foss alternative. Actually not sure if that's held me back in some aspects or not.

Just a random brain outgassing I suppose, but your comment there made me think a bit ?

crymimefireworks

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2014
"Free isn't good enough"

That's an interesting statement that caused me to think about what I'm doing and using and such. It's interesting you mentioned this because it made me think of why one reason I opted for Foss, (other then the mega cooperations control) not because I'm cheap, but the work I do, I didn't think I was good enough for paid software and went the Foss alternative. Actually not sure if that's held me back in some aspects or not.

Just a random brain outgassing I suppose, but your comment there made me think a bit ?
Appreciate your thoughtful response here. Ya seems like something major needs to change (or be added on to?) the FOSS story. It's complementary, FOSS is a foundation.

But I need my computer to wake from sleep when I press the bluetooth keyboard. I need my bluetooth headphones + mic to work. I need consistent command/ctrl/alt/option behavior across every app in the OS.

And I'm willing to pay thousands of dollars for those functions. Admittedly basic features. Easy to add? Great, take my money.

For car analogies, I'll buy the car off the lot with a warranty, tires, and freshly washed. I get that for a mechanic they can put on their own tires. But I'm happy to pay for that so I don't need to do it myself. And oil changes too. I'm not trying to be a mechanic.

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021

Well, one thing in favor of something like a System 76 laptop is that it's sure to work with Linux... I don't know how bad the situation is like now, but non-Linux laptops have had problems historically. Particularly when brand new designs. Some will work 100% when Windows gets replaced. Others will mostly work, but have something that doesn't work (often wi-fi). Others won't work, period.

And, of course, there is an argument that supporting someone like System 76 is vote to support Linux.

Then, for some, there is an argument that a Linux laptop means one is not supporting Microsoft by buying a Windows license.

All this said... I have to admit I'm cheap, and I've always cringed a bit at Linux laptop prices. Until recently, if spending MacBook prices, I'd have opted for the MacBook.

Reactions: crymimefireworks

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Since the idea of "off the shelf laptop to install Linux on" has come up and if the op don't mind, this brings a question of,

What off the shelf laptop would you walk into best buy or amazon and grab? As of right now, I cannot suggest a Lenovo yoga 6 due to the wifi issues. But it could just be me. Might be nice to have an index of Linux friendly devices.

crymimefireworks

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2014
Since the idea of "off the shelf laptop to install Linux on" has come up and if the op don't mind, this brings a question of,

What off the shelf laptop would you walk into best buy or amazon and grab? As of right now, I cannot suggest a Lenovo yoga 6 due to the wifi issues. But it could just be me. Might be nice to have an index of Linux friendly devices.
An index sounds like a great idea!

Dell has a specific model that supports Linux called Dell XPS 13 "Developer Edition".

Lenovo I'm not sure about. Have read Linux runs well generally on them.

The idea of buying a laptop that doesn't have Linux support direct from the manufacturer seems painful.

Linux has a long way to go. We need to support Linux-first vendors like System76 and Purism.

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
An index of laptops that can run Linux would be a good thing. There may actually be something like that out there for all I know.

Dell has a specific model that supports Linux called Dell XPS 13 "Developer Edition".

As I recall, Dell has offerred Linux preinstalled off and on over the years. Not that long ago, I checked out of curiosity, and it appeared they had more than one model with a LInux option.

I'd heard not that long ago that Lenovo was planning on offering some models with Linux.

People have used Lenovos (particularly ThinkPads). But the brand is not 100% guaranteed--one writer has used some cheaper Lenovo, and reported minor problems with some distros.

ONE BIG PROBLEM...stuff does have a way of changing. (Stating the obvious, I know...) As I've mentioned, I think Dell has had on/off availablity of Linux systems. HP was once thought to be a "safe" buy--but I've heard of at least one situation where a modern HP just didn't work with Linux.

And let us not forget that distros can come and go and change.

The idea of buying a laptop that doesn't have Linux support direct from the manufacturer seems painful.
If things don't go well, it could be painful/frustrating/expensive mistake/etc!

I've never had a laptop, apart from some old PowerBooks that were obsolete long before I got them. Until recently, there was the thought in my mind that as much as I appreciate Linux that if I were going to get a modern laptop there would be a strong argument in favor of a MacBook, which--evne if I did nothing that benefitted from macOS, would at least be easy to buy! Plus...Apple does some things very well with laptops (track pads are generally praised, long battery life, etc).

Reactions: crymimefireworks

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
An index sounds like a great idea!

Linux has a long way to go. We need to support Linux-first vendors like System76 and Purism.
At that price I'd rather buy a MacBook

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

What Linux distro have you tried? Usually newer kernel has better hardware support. This guy had no issue with Arch from six months ago on the Lenovo Yoga 6. Instead of reinventing the wheel best to refer to Linux enthusiasts to see what distros they recommend for a particular model.

https://archlinux.org/

crymimefireworks

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2014
Note: "off the shelf" options are severely limited now with supply chain problems

Top tier - "Linux-only" design (you pay to eliminate pain)
System76
Tuxedo
Framework
Librem
Pine64

Middle tier - "Linux-supporting" design
Lenovo (models?)
Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition only

Bottom tier - "happens to work, at least for now" (cheap, you pay with your time)
Specific models and which distro they work for. Probably available on Amazon and BestBuy, but you're better off buying top and middle tiers.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I tried Manjaro, Ubuntu kubuntu, mint even the most recent Ubuntu most had various issues. A couple distros where a little old. Turns out non liked the wifi adapter Lenovo slipped in. Replaced the adapter with a supposed incompatible Intel ax200 WiFi 6 adapter and the live Ubuntu found the wifi adapter.

Haven't installed things yet, might try mint again just to get away from the snap store because I'm not sure I'm going to find the packages I need there and there are probably more .deb packages for what I need then snaps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.