Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
Hi All,

Considering installing Linux on my 2012 MBP 13 and just wondering what peoples opinions are and which distro to go with? I want one that "just works" without having to scour the net to get WiFi drivers etc.

I've tried installing Ubuntu on it and it failed for some reason midway through and left me with no option to boot in to Window's for some reason. It still allowed me to boot in to Mac though but it was annoying having to install Windows again!

Many thanks,

Craig

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
You need to install them in certain order to get them to co-operate or learn how to edit Grub settings (or whatever bootloader you are using). I never install Winblows to raw Mac HW (only to VM) so I don't know how it behaves with other OS's on the same machine. But for MacOS + Linux, install them in that order and it usually works just fine.

Linux Mint is my go to Linux nowadays. Its a bit too much Windows-like to my taste but it just works.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I use Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS on my older machines, it works fine. No macOS or Windows on them, though.

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
The closest to “just work” Linux I’ve used is Ubuntu 22.04LTS. Everything worked except Wi-Fi but fixing that was as easy as running this in Terminal.
sudo apt install firmware-b43-installer
Reboot and smooth sailing from there on. I did not have multiple OS installed.

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
The closest to “just work” Linux I’ve used is Ubuntu 22.04LTS. Everything worked except Wi-Fi but fixing that was as easy as running this in Terminal.

Reboot and smooth sailing from there on. I did not have multiple OS installed.

Trouble is Ubuntu didn't "just work" for me. It broke my booting of Windows which I'd like to keep.

I suppose I can try again but it wasn't a great experience!

doctor_dog

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2022
Given the ubiquity of USB thumbdrives these days, I'd suggest just grabbing a few different distros (Ubuntu, AntiX, Mint, Manjaro, Debian, etc), putting them on a thumbdrive, and testing them out via live USB booting. You can use Rufus or similar tool in Windows to create the live USB thumbdrives from the Linux ISO of your choice. This way, you can get a very good sense (without installing anything on the internal disk) of what works and what doesn't before you choose to install to disk.

That being said, I use AntiX 23 on my MBP 4,1 from 2008 (last of the oldies pre-unibody). This is obviously not the same model as you have, however, it "just works" out of the box, including WiFi on my MBP.

Biggest issue I encounter has to do with GPU drivers, as the graphics card in my MBP is so old that newer kernels dropped support for ancient nvidia. Generic X drivers work fine though, so not really a big issue **except for changing display baklight (need the nvidia driver for that AFAIK).

Hope this helps.

Reactions: mortlocli

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
The closest to “just work” Linux I’ve used is Ubuntu 22.04LTS. Everything worked except Wi-Fi but fixing that was as easy as running this in Terminal...Reboot and smooth sailing from there on. I did not have multiple OS installed.

Another vote for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS here. I will say though, in my experience Linux on a Mac works best if you use it as the Mac's sole operating system. Multiple OS/dual-boot/triple-boot installs always seem to result in the Linux bootloader going wonky, or the macOS's own booting going wonky, or both.

If you just want to try Linux out to see if it's for you as a daily driver OS, you could consider using a VM within VirtualBox; that way you can also easily try out other Ubuntu derivatives (Lubuntu, Zorin, Xubuntu) or distros (BunsenLabs, CrunchBangplusplus, etc.) much more easily.

Alternatively, if you've decided on using Linux as your daily driver on your Mac, but still want to keep Windows, you could use Windows in a VirtualBox VM.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Given the ubiquity of USB thumbdrives these days, I'd suggest just grabbing a few different distros (Ubuntu, AntiX, Mint, Manjaro, Debian, etc), putting them on a thumbdrive, and testing them out via live USB booting. You can use Rufus or similar tool in Windows to create the live USB thumbdrives from the Linux ISO of your choice. This way, you can get a very good sense (without installing anything on the internal disk) of what works and what doesn't before you choose to install to disk.

That being said, I use AntiX 23 on my MBP 4,1 from 2008 (last of the oldies pre-unibody). This is obviously not the same model as you have, however, it "just works" out of the box, including WiFi on my MBP.

Biggest issue I encounter has to do with GPU drivers, as the graphics card in my MBP is so old that newer kernels dropped support for ancient nvidia. Generic X drivers work fine though, so not really a big issue **except for changing display baklight (need the nvidia driver for that AFAIK).

Hope this helps.
I found antix, then MX are great for my older (2007, 2009) iMacs.
Could fix the screen issues I seem to get with every Linux, with xorg=safe..and to have that option readily available in the initial pop up menu is very handy.

I've recently solved the overheating factor using mbpfan, and have constant temperatures displayed with psensor. (GPU never getting above 60C. now.)

exploradorgt

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2023
which distro to go with? I want one that "just works" without having to scour the net to get WiFi drivers etc.
I tried Linux Mint (2 diff versions) and Xubuntu (3 diff versions), yes, *versions might matter.

Try as @doctor_dog suggest, USB drives or USB hdd first, so you can check if all your hardware works out of the box. I didn't have any issues and everything just worked. In my experience, Linux Mint (v20 I think) was the fastest to boot and fastest for random use, web browsing was very fast. In my case used a PC to install the full OS on the hdd and then placed it in side the mac, worked just fine. I just didn't like using Bootcamp to do it.

I mentioned versions being of certain importance because not all Linux versions are the same. Since version... 22? I don't remember, your installation uses GPT out of the box without even telling you, this caused me issues, but using previous versions worked just fine and Linux got installed as MBR (out of the box, and allowed me to choose too).

*except for changing display baklight (need the nvidia driver for that AFAIK).
Yes, sort of (depends on the case). Ubuntu and Xubuntu "didn't" work with the backlight, but Linux Mint worked perfectly out of the box. There are 2 main aspects here. Linux will set by default the generic video drivers known as Nouveau, these work pretty well!!!!, but the video acceleration for playing video is not using all the power of the GPU. You can switch to the official Nvidia drivers using an option on the os ("additional drivers"), then you will have full acceleration but it might break some things. In my case, the best overall experience happened with the Nouveau drivers. A couple of Linux installs allowed me to choose from 3 options, others from only 2.

I said Xubuntu "didn't" work with the backlight because out of the box there is a slight detail missing. See, using Mint everything worked, but Xubuntu didn't respond to brightness changes. Turns out you HAVE to add a widget to the menu (the panel), specifically "brightness control", and this will let you use a fancy slider to adjust the brightness, try it.

Multiboot can be a bit technical for most people, proceed with patience. Or explore Ventoy (this is what I use on my iMac), my wife uses Windows on her MBP. Back to Ventoy, you can boot multiple operative systems (isos), or if you have patience to create VHD files (virtual machine hard drives), then it's an option too, that's what I use.

As for specific virtual machine software under Linux, there are tutorials about running MacOS inside Linux pretty damn fast, one of them is Sosumi (there is another one but can't remember the name), while this worked for lots of people, sadly didn't work for me.

exploradorgt

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2023
Ah... just keep in mind, Linux has changed a bit in the recent years. To my sad surprise, now it has "unattended updates", meaning at times I couldn't just turn off the machine as it was "installing and configuring updates", I really hate it.

NewbiePPC

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2021
For testing distros I usually go with ventoy to be able to have multiple live isos on one USB or harddrive, but lately, I go for debian with Xfce or other wm, canonical it's doing weird things that I don't like , like force to use snaps with Firefox (I know that you can get through package) and it doesn't feel fast, I like Linux mint for the facility to use but I feel every Ubuntu release that I don't are their target anymore so I'm now enjoying debian 12 in almost every computer that I own and probably never go back to Ubuntu or it's downstream distros

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I recently installed a few Linux distros on a 2009 MBP: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, Ubuntu Cinnamon, Linux Mint Cinnamon, Linux Mint Mate, and Zorin OS.

None of them by default made use of every single top row keyboard function key, although they all correctly made use of the main ones (screen brightness, keyboard backlight, media controls). Also, I think some didn't have wifi access during installation. But wasn't an issue for me as I had ethernet connect during installation and wifi drivers were easily added via gui driver updater either during or post OS installation. Didn't have to scour the web for these - the OS just offered them up for installation.

Beyond that, I would say they all "just worked" except for Ubuntu Cinnamon and Linux Mint Cinnamon. The issue I had with these was that they wouldn't reliably sleep when I closed the lid. But there was a workaround for this - LM Cinnamon started working reliably after enabling a setting to "Perform lid-closed action even with external monitors attached" (didn't test workaround in Ubuntu Cinnamon).

Overall I was impressed by the ease of use and the level of compatibility, compared to when I last tried Linux some years ago.

In all my installations I did a complete wipe of the internal drive. I didn't try to dual boot.

I also tried Chrome OS Flex, which I guess is also Linux, and that didn't work at all. Graphics all over the place - I think it doesn't like laptops with nvidia cards.

Last edited:

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
I recently installed a few Linux distros on a 2009 MBP: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, Ubuntu Cinnamon, Linux Mint Cinnamon, Linux Mint Mate, and Zorin OS.

None of them by default made use of every single top row keyboard function key, although they all correctly made use of the main ones (screen brightness, keyboard backlight, media controls). Also, I think some didn't have wifi access during installation. But wasn't an issue for me as I had ethernet connect during installation and wifi drivers were easily added via gui driver updater either during or post OS installation. Didn't have to scour the web for these - the OS just offered them up for installation.

Beyond that, I would say they all "just worked" except for Ubuntu Cinnamon and Linux Mint Cinnamon. The issue I had with these was that they wouldn't reliably sleep when I closed the lid. But there was a workaround for this - LM Cinnamon started working reliably after enabling a setting to "Perform lid-closed action even with external monitors attached" (didn't test workaround in Ubuntu Cinnamon).

Overall I was impressed by the ease of use and the level of compatibility, compared to when I last tried Linux some years ago.

In all my installations I did a complete wipe of the internal drive. I didn't try to dual boot.

I also tried Chrome OS Flex, which I guess is also Linux, and that didn't work at all. Graphics all over the place - I think it doesn't like laptops with nvidia cards.
I was too with Ubuntu 22.04. Wifi did not work for me out of the box but pretty much everything else I needed did and the wifi driver fix was an easy 2 minute lift (dl/install/reboot). I still DD it on my 08/09 portable Macs because of this.

Reactions: doctor_dog
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.