Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
What with Apple now fetching out a new OS every year and my Mac Pro being long in the tooth I am thinking of installing
Linux on my 2009 Mac Pro, is it worth it and which distro should I use ? Also can this be installed externally so I can see
how it runs and what it can do ?

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2013
Manjaro KDE Plasma. Perfect balance of stability and up-to-date software. Also includes the AUR which has many useful extra software packages you can install with one click.

As a Mac and Linux user I am quite picky about design and the Plasma desktop looks very nice theses days.

Stay clear of any distros that try to emulate OS-X, or use a dock. Invariably they are poor copies of the original and you will notice all the flaws! Far better to get a distro that doesn't try to imitate anything else.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
What exactly would you use the Linux edition for?
since there are many variations and themes, you can focus on one that suits your needs.
in my case as a cartoonist and graphic designer, Unbuntu Design would be perfect for my macbook air.

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
What with Apple now fetching out a new OS every year and my Mac Pro being long in the tooth I am thinking of installing
Linux on my 2009 Mac Pro, is it worth it and which distro should I use ? Also can this be installed externally so I can see
how it runs and what it can do ?
Yes you can install it alongside either under High Sierra or Mojave via VirtualBox 6.1. This will allow you to run both macOS and Linux OS concurrently, by virtualizing Linux in VirtualBox without needing to reboot. You can then truly have the cake and eat it too and the Mac Pro 2009, if you have the 8 core version, has more than enough power to run both macOS and LinuxOS together.

While I don't have Linux running on my own Mac Pro, I do have it running on both my MacBook Air 2014 as well as my modern gaming PC. Both are running Ubuntu Focal Fossa 20.04.2 which is the most popular Linux OS distro out there alongside Mojave on my Air and Windows 10 on my gaming PC.

I highly recommend the VirtualBox route, because it supports drag and drop and cut and paste between what's running on VirtualBox and macOS, so if you simply want a more modern internet experience while keeping some legacy Mac apps running and creating content, you can create them in macOS and then send the stuff over using a Linux OS to get sent out over the internet, because Ubuntu 20.04 and other distros based on the Focal Fossa kernel will be supported until 2025! Also with VirtualBox, you can create as many virtual machines your hard drive/SSD allows to test drive each one of them. Linux is so light on computer resources that you can run them as a virtual machine and not even feel that is slow.

Hope this helps.

How to Install Ubuntu 20.04 on a Mac using VirtualBox (2020 Version) - YouTube

Last edited:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Yes you can install it alongside either under High Sierra or Mojave via VirtualBox 6.1. This will allow you to run both macOS and Linux OS concurrently, by virtualizing Linux in VirtualBox without needing to reboot. You can then truly have the cake and eat it too and the Mac Pro 2009, if you have the 8 core version, has more than enough power to run both macOS and LinuxOS together.

While I don't have Linux running on my own Mac Pro, I do have it running on both my MacBook Air 2014 as well as my modern gaming PC. Both are running Ubuntu Focal Fossa 20.04.2 which is the most popular Linux OS distro out there alongside Mojave on my Air and Windows 10 on my gaming PC.

I highly recommend the VirtualBox route, because it supports drag and drop and cut and paste between what's running on VirtualBox and macOS, so if you simply want a more modern internet experience while keeping some legacy Mac apps running and creating content, you can create them in macOS and then send the stuff over using a Linux OS to get sent out over the internet, because Ubuntu 20.04 and other distros based on the Focal Fossa kernel will be supported until 2025! Also with VirtualBox, you can create as many virtual machines your hard drive/SSD allows to test drive each one of them. Linux is so light on computer resources that you can run them as a virtual machine and not even feel that is slow.

Hope this helps.

How to Install Ubuntu 20.04 on a Mac using VirtualBox (2020 Version) - YouTube
This sounds interesting but I only have 4 cores and run El Capitan, is the above still viable ?

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
This sounds interesting but I only have 4 cores and run El Capitan, is the above still viable ?
Yes it is. I have a MacBook Air 2014 that only has 2 cores running both Mojave and Ubuntu 20.04 and the performance is fantastic, though not as fluid and smooth as my Windows gaming PC which has a lot more faster cores and 32Gb of RAM as opposed to only 8Gb on my Air. So your Mac Pro would probably fair much better performance wise than my MacBook Air.

Reactions: Washac

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Yes it is. I have a MacBook Air 2014 that only has 2 cores running both Mojave and Ubuntu 20.04 and the performance is fantastic, though not as fluid and smooth as my Windows gaming PC which has a lot more faster cores and 32Gb of RAM as opposed to only 8Gb on my Air. So your Mac Pro would probably fair much better performance wise than my MacBook Air.
Thanks.

Reactions: iluvmacs99

Mike-G

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2013
UK
If you are new to Linux, I would definitely recommend Linux Mint. It is very user friendly and has a large user base, with loads of online help forums.

You can try different distros in a virtual machine, to see which you prefer. But if you plan on Linux being your main OS, I would install it natively on your Mac, to get the best stability and performance.

The main problem I had when switching to Linux, was finding alternative applications for my use cases. So that would be something I would suggest you look into early on.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
If you are new to Linux, I would definitely recommend Linux Mint. It is very user friendly and has a large user base, with loads of online help forums.

You can try different distros in a virtual machine, to see which you prefer. But if you plan on Linux being your main OS, I would install it natively on your Mac, to get the best stability and performance.

The main problem I had when switching to Linux, was finding alternative applications for my use cases. So that would be something I would suggest you look into early on.
Second vote for Mint, it's the best I've used. I will warn you about hi-res displays though, it's definitely not a Linux strength.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2013
The theming and UI (based on Gnome 2) of Linux Mint is really ugly and dated though (IMHO). They purposefully stuck with a Windows XP type paradigm and then skinned it in black and green.

If you want a modern clean UI that has at least a shot at competing with the fluid design of OS X you really have to consider distros based on Gnome 40 or Plasma 5.22

Do note, that the differences go a lot deeper than window colors and wallpaper. The way you interact with those three desktops is very different.

Mike-G

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2013
UK
The theming and UI (based on Gnome 2) of Linux Mint is really ugly and dated though (IMHO).

Granted, Mint isn't the best looking distro. But user improvements can be made.

However, for beginners, I would always recommend Mint or Ubuntu. Due to their popularity and plentiful support online.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2013
The other problem with Mint is also that it uses an old kernel. I believe it is currently running kernel 5.4. I have a laptop bought in Spring 2020 that won't even boot up without kernel 5.6, and wasn't fully supported (power profiles, decent iGPU driver, backlit keyboard control, trackpad gestures) until kernel 5.10.

Obviously in the case of repurposing old hardware that's not relevant, but it is worth bearing in mind.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Go to distrowatch.com and try a few from top 5. Personally, I avoid fly by night distros and prefer something that has been around for a while, that just works and feels lightweight so Linux Mint.

d4m13n

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2021
I would recommend Pop!OS as it’s somewhat surpassed Mint in being a consumer friendly desktop Linux.
I can second this, i have used many linux distro's over the years but Pop OS is definitely up their with one of the most user-friendly and it has a lot of support, Pop OS is based on Ubuntu and as such has a lot of software that just works without any issues plus it has the Pop shop built in and if you download Lutris from the Pop shop you have access to loads of other software and games with mostly easy installation.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I would recommend Pop!OS as it’s somewhat surpassed Mint in being a consumer friendly desktop Linux.
Agreed. Pop is the best Linux distribution (in my opinion), because it’s fast, polished, and makes it easy to do things like play games. To me, it’s “Ubuntu without the crap”.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2013
Sadly Pop! has gone for the "teenager gamer inspired" trend of making everything in the OS dark. Not everybody works at night or in a dim environment. Having such a dark desktop is terrible in my brightly lit office at work. What happened to providing a nice default light theme (and a dark theme if you want)?

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Have tried Ubuntu, Pop_OS!, elementaryOS and Fedora over the years on Macs; all have their pros and cons, but honestly the most all round decent experience I have is with Fedora. Especially if you're installing onto a Mac; just picks everything up, installs boot helpers to the EFI, works as you'd expect.

I heavily trialled Fedora before moving both my devices over; have a spare disk and install to that (perhaps take your other disks out to be sure it's installing to the right one!) Or if you're on a laptop, you can just install to/boot off of an external SATA USB adapter to an SSD or other disk. works great :)

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Having tried pretty well all of the Linux distros mentioned here, on iMacs (2009 & 2015) I prefer, in order ---
  1. Linux Mint Cinnamon
  2. Ubuntu Mate
  3. Elementary OS.
You will need to install the rEFInd Boot Manager to be able to switch at boot up.

The only problem I have had is that my iMac has a video card that is no longer supported by current Linux Kernels, so I have to use something like UKUU to wind the kernel back to Kernel 4.15 (that's on my late 2015 iMac. Other machines may work with later kernels).

Linux Mint probably has the most familiar of User Interfaces.
Ubuntu Mate has the best performance.
Elementary OS has the simplest UI.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2013
I find it curious that so many are recommending Linux Mint, which has purposefully frozen its interface to the 2000s era. As a Mac user I won't settle for a UI which isn't modern, aesthetically pleasing, and evolving for the future.

Check here to see what 2020s Linux looks like:

borderless-adwaita-blueprint.jpg

kde-plasma-5.22-screenshot.jpg

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I find it curious that so many are recommending Linux Mint, which has purposefully frozen its interface to the 2000s era. As a Mac user I won't settle for a UI which isn't modern, aesthetically pleasing, and evolving for the future.

Check here to see what 2020s Linux looks like:

View attachment 1801861
View attachment 1801860

Agreed. Mint looks ugly and old to me too. I like GNOME the most (used it for years), so I gravitate toward that, but KDE is looking slick in 2021.

Reactions: alex cochez

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
Sadly Pop! has gone for the "teenager gamer inspired" trend of making everything in the OS dark. Not everybody works at night or in a dim environment. Having such a dark desktop is terrible in my brightly lit office at work. What happened to providing a nice default light theme (and a dark theme if you want)?
Now that you mention it, I have to agree. I haven’t used Pop in a while, but I have many good memories of it. Didn’t know they went in that direction, so that’s kind of disappointing.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020

I find this a curious comment. There are times that stability in a User Interface can be useful.
Just imagine if every year the new models of cars came out with a total re-arrangement of dashboard, steering, gear shift and pedals. The same applies to airplanes, etc.

I can go into Linux Mint Cinnamon or Ubuntu Mate (any version) and immediately know how to do stuff.
If I go into one of the new versions of Gnome or KDE, I get lost easily.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2013
I was assuming that most Mac users care a lot about visual aesthetics. Look at the pages of comments on these forums every time Apple makes tweaks to the UI of OS X.

What kind of stability are you referring to? If I'm running a server farm of course I want a distro that runs rock solid 24/7 for years at a time. As a home user I just want the same stability as I get with Macs. I run Manjaro Linux which is a rolling release that lags kernel releases by about a month. It's been very stable for me.

The other issue is security. Often security exploits are fixed in only the most recent kernels, and sometimes not backported. So if you want a secure OS you need to be running something that lags only by a few months. Linux Mint runs kernel 5.4 from November 2019. I'm running kernel 5.12 from April 2021. That makes my OS a lot more secure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.