Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
If I get a Linux version of some software, what is the chance that it will work on MacOS X and is it just a straight and normal install if it does work????

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by sparkleytone
pretty much none.

altho you can try to compile it for OS X using the apple developer tools.

So, are you saying that it is POSSIBLE but not certain on the basis that I have the source code to compile in the developer tools?

Is that how it works, I know I am going to sound as novice as I am but, I can't compile an application it has to be source code?!

What is the app was command line based, would that work? If not, are command line apps more likely to port over?

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
I've downloaded and compiled several command line utilities and have had no problem at all. Since both OS X and Linux use the BSD interfaces, these apps generally work.

X Windows GUI apps will not run under Aqua. However, you can install an X Windows environment on OS X and some apps have been ported for that. I think GIMP is probably the most well known of those.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by PyroTurtle
i tried to use the project builder, but it wopn't even launch, know what i'm doing wrong?

No, but if you work it out, tell me, it has been pissing me off beyond belief and have had to do work on an old demo iBook which could go out the door any day.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Can't run natively, usually will compile.

There are a lot of technical reasons why running Linux programs on OS X won't work. It would be like running Solaris programs on Sun OS or Solaris programs on Linux; it just won't work.

In order to run Linux programs, you need to recompile them. For command line programs (ie text based programs that do not run in their own windows), it *generally* only requires a recompile. Any program that uses only standard Unix libraries will probably compile; but differences in the OS's may require some minor code changes. If you download the source for a program and follow the build instructions in the distribution, you'll see wether or not it works.

For GUI programs, you'll need to get an X-Windows environment running first. This means you need an X-Windows server and a window manager. This is a comewhat complicated process.

In both senarios, wether or not a program will run will depend on wether the needed libraries are available on your system. If not, you need to compile and install the necessary components.

But there is an easier way to do all of this. Get Fink. Go to fink.sourceforge.net and get it. Its basically an automatic download and install utility for open source programs on Unix platforms. It has all of the programs pre-compiled to run under OS X and will install them for you. You can even use this to install X-Windows on OS X so you can run those GUI programs and OS X programs simultaneously.

There is a lot to learn, but there is a lot that can be done with these programs. Good luck with it all. And people here are very nice about answering your questions. Ask if you get stuck!

Matthew

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Thanks HEAPS
Maybe I won't have to work Java in VPC w/ Win2000 if I want to use Forte after all; have to look into it more.

:)

newmanium

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
broken project builder

i had the same problem with project builder dying on me the minute it showed up on the dock... but i had installed the cd that came with the very FIRST version of OSX.. try going to the apple website then the developers section, they have a much more updated version there that will probably work with 10.1.x. i downloaded it and it made all the difference and project builder works fine... the only problem for me is that i do my coding in C++ (using MS visual studio, which is pure crappola), and i have no idea how to do the necessary compiling for c++ files in project builder that i do on visual c++. haha, any help is welcome

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.